Register now to get rid of these ads!

carb fuel pump or both? 59 cadillac

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 59cadrusty, May 23, 2012.

1. 59cadrusty

59cadrusty
    from hemet, ca

I've got a problem I haven't had to deal with on this car yet, 59 cad 390 carter carb. Just rebuilt the carb and did an oil change as the oil was draining I noticed it smelled like fuel and the oil was thin, I origanly thought it was the carb as it it was dumping fuel out of it before the rebuild but now its leaking fuel from the passanger side secondary butterfly rod. Bushing is bad (I know) its always leaked a bit and never had much of a damper on the engine performace (besides mileage). My problem is the car will not stay running. Carb is working properly and fires first time everytime but won't stay running. After it fires it'll idle for about 20 seconds then just sputter out and die. So here's my question, would that carb leak cause the car to die or is the fuel pump dumping fuel making it stall? I'm leaning on the fuel pump side mainly because of the fuel in the oil it could only come from there as everything else looks good. What am I looking at if I tear into the fuel pump or what should I expect to see? I'm trying to keep the car stock as possible so I really don't want to change the pump but I will if needed. Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks everyone

2. Curly5759

Curly5759
    from Aridzona

Tearing into the pump won't tell you anything. Check your fuel psi, make sure it isn't too high. Don't have the spec's in front of me, but 3-5 psi should do it.

Check your float level, make sure they are set correctly. Your problem sounds like a sticky float to me.

Curly

3. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

Sounds like the pump is bad and the seal on the back side of the pump is dumping fuel into the crankcase. Replace it.

4. carmak

carmak

Be really careful replacing the pump. Some replacement pumps have thinner flanges than OEM. This is a problem because one of the bolt holes is blind and the OEM bolt can bottom out before it tightens against the gasket with the thinner flange. The result is a cracked housing (ask me how i know this).

Carmak
    Riverside, Iowa

5. 59cadrusty

59cadrusty
    from hemet, ca

Thanks guys checked it last night the gasket needed to be replaced, done. Now its spitting fuel out of the carb so I'm going to check the floats tonight thanks for the advice guys I really appreciate it