Register now to get rid of these ads!

Carb cleaner

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by upspirate, Jul 5, 2013.

1. upspirate

upspirate

Just read the muratic acid thread and got me thinking. (dangerous :eek:)

I bought two gallons of carb cleaner to soak and clean my carbs.I couldn't fit the body of my Edlebrock in the cans so I bought a stainless container and set-on lid like for a steam table from a restaurant supply for when I need to soak a carb.I'm storing the cleaner in the original gallon cans when not in use.

Is this OK? Any other precautions as to neutralizing the carb parts after use?

I just rinsed them off with water:confused: and used gloves when handling.

2. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

One time I soaked a carb in one of those kits NAPA sells with the basket inside to hold the parts. I didn't wear gloves and my hands wrinkled up so bad they looked like they belonged on a 200 year old man. They were dried out and wrinkled for a few days until the moisture returned to them, and even lotion did no good.

Don

3. upspirate

upspirate

I do use gloves, but didn't know if any storage precautions need to be followed.I use the original air tight cans,but got to wondering if rinsing with water and blowing off/out with air was all that was needed.
    Thanks Don....One of these w/e's I want to come down to your area

4. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

I've always stored them in the original cans. I just make sure the lid is on tight. I also just rinse the carb off with water and use compressed air to dry.

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. carbking

carbking

I haven't used carb cleaner in 30 years, so have no idea about the current "recipe".

We quit using it because it would leave a residue if rinsed only with water. We found laquar thinner worked pretty well to remove the carb cleaner residue, and hot water with Dawn dishwater detergent worked well to remove the laquar thinner.

Jon.

6. wood remover

wood remover

Haven't tried it ,but I heard pine sol does a great job of cleaning carbs and aluminium .