Register now to get rid of these ads!

Car time capsules

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by swingcatt, Oct 4, 2007.

1. swingcatt

swingcatt

So, being inspired by the "what have you found in your car" thread, I got to thinking last night as I worked on the 37....wouldn't it be cool to leave something in the car, for the next few generations? I mean, cars like ours are notorious for renovation, restoration and/or resurrection...so wouldn't it be sensible to leave something about the car's history tucked away for the next guy to find? I would hope that, since this is my grandpa's car, that hopefully this would stay in my family, however how cool would a few pictures, that are already 70 years old, be to find in like 2100? Has anybody done something like this? Got any ideas as to how and where to store the stuff? It would have to be somewhere that would be permanent to the car, and safe from the elements!

2. fuzzface

fuzzface

How about above the headliner in a zip lock style bag. It could go thru minor redo's and never be found but the guy that does a full resto could find it.

3. yblock292

yblock292

I always like to write my name and phone number like inside a door so maybe someday someone will call...hasn't ever happened and been doing it for years

4. Ramblur

Ramblur

I did in the mid seventies with my 57 chevy sedan delivery that I
    drove in high school sans headliner. Inspired by Milner on AG I
    dutifully stashed all the Ohio Highway Patrols vehicle defect notification
    postcards in an area above the driver side window. Theory being that
    you were supposed to sign them(after repairs) put a stamp on them
    and send them in. During my senior year I installed a JC Whitney
    headliner and decided to leave them for the next owner. Little did I
    know almost 30 years later I'd be pulling that headliner out and sure
    enough found remnants of those yellow postcards proving I had
    loud pipes,no front bumper, inoperative wipers,and other maladies.
    They didn't age so well,so if your thinking of doing this with pics or
    whatever I'd suggest having them laminated with clear plastic or
    something similar.

5. kiotes

kiotes

thats a good idea I have done the same thing with everything i have done. From cars to homes I always put a name and a date. I got the idea on some old windows i have taken out. was cool to find the name of the lumber yard and a date on them, makes you think when you read that stuff and realize that wow that place has been gone for 30 years..

6. WelderSeries

WelderSeries
    Alliance Vendor

...like an artist signing their work.

7. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

My sister bought the house I grew up in from my dad. last year she renovated and put the home/family history in a can inside one of the new walls.

8. 8flat

8flat

Great idea. The ziplock bag would probably work the best, get the real heavy duty thick ones. My Grandpa bought my '51 F1 brand new when he was my age. When he gave the truck to me 10 years ago he still had all the original paperwork, title, etc. It was really cool. I'm nostalgic that way....

9. Be sure to include some gas reciepts, a grocery store reciept with milk and eggs on it, and a pack of cigarettes. By 2100 they'll finally outlaw those, gas if availaible will make today's prices seem like 20's prices are to us now.. and so on.