Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Car Therapy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LBCD, Sep 14, 2017.

1. LBCD

LBCD

The other day my next door neighbor Mr. Bush and I were talking on his front lawn...he is 89 and I have known him since I moved to the neighborhood in 96. Lately he has been showing signs of slowing down...he has to use a walker or cane now.
    Well...he was pretty bummed out about a few things and it got me thinking...
    This guy is super cool and has owned some really nice cars in his lifetime. He always compliments me on either my kids or my cars. So the other day he was talking about how he is slowing down and has not been motivated to do alot...
    So last night I dragged him ;) out and put him in the front seat and said "hold on".
    My wife sat in the back seat and took a couple of photos and I have to say he loved going for a ride! He said it brought back wonderful memories and he was telling us about his dad and all the cars they had owned...a 41 Chevy was his favorite and said it was the one he wished he kept.
    So...he heard me messing around out front this morning and came over to thank me...I told him there are more rides for him to take so be ready next time and bring sunglasses!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. belair

belair

Kindness costs nothing. Way to go.

3. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

Thanyou for that, that is very special stuff.

Geoff aka whodaky

Stogy, mgtstumpy, loudbang and 10 others like this.
  4. Mark Roby

Mark Roby

How cool is that! That brought a smile to my face. Way to go!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stogy, loudbang, dana barlow and 10 others like this.

5. Very cool. Taking a kid for a ride creates a memory and with older folk they get to relive them. Doesn't get much better than that.

6. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Damn fine job.

Stogy, mgtstumpy, 6inarow and 5 others like this.
  7. AldeanFan

AldeanFan

Made me smile!
    You did good

Shortly after I got my '54 wagon on the road I drove to the office and took my boss and mentor for a ride.
    It brought back some great memories for him and he told me all about taking his drivers test on his dads turquoise '57 Chevy Convertible.
    He's retired now as I need to drive the woody up to his place for a visit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. brady1929

brady1929

Very nice of you

9. butch27

butch27

I take kids for ride in the bucket. They don't know what they are in but have fun.

10. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Priceless.

Stogy, mgtstumpy, els and 2 others like this.
  11. catdad49

catdad49

That's just Too Kool! Just an older kid, next time take him to a cruise or a car show. Good on You!

12. LBCD

LBCD

Thanks guy's. ...it is actually therapy for both of us...me knowing how much he enjoyed himself makes me feel good and then there is my wife that has that look in her eyes...she loves him like if he was her grand dad.
    Very cool guy!

13. 61Cruiser

61Cruiser

What a great unselfish act. You are a wonderful human being. Sometimes the simplest of things can mean so much.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

14. LBCD

LBCD

I'm pretty sure most of you if not all of you would do the same thing...it is just that much funner driving someone who really respects the time and effort that goes into bringing these old cars back to life and getting in them and driving them all over town :)

Stogy, mgtstumpy, 61Cruiser and 2 others like this.
  15. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Have done that with Senior relatives. Some things do slow down, even if not in your 9o's. But, the memories that a ride in a old car can certainly heighten are great.

16. ceege

ceege
    from NW MT

I love old people. I live in a town that has a state veteran's home. I've drank a lot of beers with WW II veterans. Fun people and great stories. Good for you and your wife LBDC

17. LBCD

LBCD

I have always loved the old folks too! working in a sheet metal shop and then joining local 105 at a very young age...
    I was working with WW2, Korean and Vietnam vets...I know all too well about the beers and all the old stories that came with the scenery...it was priceless!
    I've heard of people taking dogs to old folks homes...but what about taking old cars? I think i recall a thread on here about that...the people would love it!

18. Stogy, mgtstumpy, 61Cruiser and 4 others like this.
  19. xpletiv

xpletiv
    from chiburbs

Awesome!
    I think I'd be doing that several times a month just because it brings on smile on so many, and I feel that it's needed a lot recently, my self included.

Thanks for sharing.

Stogy, mgtstumpy, 61Cruiser and 3 others like this.
  20. jailbar joe

jailbar joe

some time ago my next door neighbour was put into a nursing home as he has Alzheimer and was living alone....
    i go visit him a couple of times aweek and often bring him home for a coffee and a look around,when i was building my most recent car he used to come over and help me when i needed help and we would have a laugh and chuckle.

i have 3 cars....a 56 ford Victoria a 47 ford pick up and what i call my ratrod a 41 ford pickup...don't worry...lots of chrome and metalflake paint...anyway ..i was talking to the carers at the home and we are try to coordinate a mini car show at the home for the residents using my cars and i will try to get a couple of mates there as well. should be a bit of fun for all concerned.

vtx1800, Stogy, hotrodharry2 and 14 others like this.
  21. jim snow

jim snow

Good stuff. Snowman

22. HotrodVon

HotrodVon

Way to go!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

23. 41 C28

41 C28

Good job.

24. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Good on ya LBCD!!! Good karma coming your way.
    There was a thread some time back where a group of Rodders brought their cars out to a convalescent home and gave everyone rides.

Stogy, mgtstumpy, 61Cruiser and 3 others like this.
  25. Lowdownfab

Lowdownfab

26. Hombre

Hombre

Good for you man. I am going to look into the nursing home thing, might brighten some folks day a might. Thanks for the idea!

27. ceege

ceege
    from NW MT

We call it the old folks home too!! I was just being politically corect.

28. About 25 years ago one of the local car clubs here spent a Saturday driving to our local veterans home. They invited anybody with an old car. I took my 51 Vicky one year and parked it...let it sit about 10 minutes when I was asked to move it to a different spot. The flathead had heat soaked and wouldn't start. An old guy with a walker looked under the hood and said..."Vapor locked, eh? Yeah, my old fords use to do the same thing..let it sit 20 minutes and she'll fire up ok." After 20 minutes with the hood up it started, no problem. He cackled like a little girl when it lit off.

29. For a bunch of hoodlums, you guys are all right.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Stogy, mgtstumpy, 61Cruiser and 9 others like this.