Register now to get rid of these ads!

Car show music

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lordairgtar, Apr 15, 2011.

1. msalamanca

msalamanca

Live bands are always good. My old band Calavera played blessing of the cars once. That was fun

2. My favorite '50's songs...
    <iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/5NxBaumftVg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    <iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/EmRG0Y5N8lg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    <iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/bCjcxff7Aiw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

3. Some Rockabilly...
    <iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/v51OU8Iwb3E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    <iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/5iNDAeyWgrk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    <iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/0smpb6t_hAE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

4. Some Punk...
    <iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/flcNU-0v8YQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    <iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/m9SUuHcbngc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    <iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/RZ1RecSXXZ8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

5. Maybe try some Ska...
    <iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/HPeMO81zoS8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    <iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/tF1628qACPM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    <iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/6v46XI5jrDs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

6. photofink

photofink

As an eclectic music junkie myself; I say it would probably be best if everyone who wanted to hear music at a car show just walked around with Skullcandys like a bunch of 15 yr olds :D.

7. J.B.

J.B.
    from Sweden

I like old cars, old music, old style all over... and I stick to it.
    Do you guys never hear any more obscure songs than Greatest
    hits of the 1950's in the car shows? You should get better DJ's!

Rhythm and Blues, Hillbilly, Country, Rock'n'roll, Rockabilly, Blues, Cajun etc
    from 1930's to cirka 1963... 10 000's of great songs to choose from.
    Why play the worn out 20 most played 1950's songs of all time?

For me, a modern punk/metal song is as interesting as a Mustang II frontend,
    350-powered glass hot rod... :D:D:D

But I agree on the point that it is a BACKGROUND thing in a daytime car show.

And yes, I'm always right. So no use in arguing... :D:D:D

Have a great day, people!

8. jazz1

jazz1

This guy can only stand so much dooowop! DJ's should be able to mix it up. Stray Cats, Grady, anything!!It's usually just background noise but I got parked 20' from a speaker at a show last summer and all they played doooowop and general 50's pop.

9. hotrod mike

hotrod mike

I'm not sure about the "certified" part but "Hot Rod Man" was originally done by Tex Rubinowitz and the Bad Boys. Great tune.

10. Wanna hear music- GO TO A CONCERT !

No music is my vote for real car shows.

Oldmics- I"m in the music biz :rolleyes:

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  11. Colville

Colville

Theres alot of good underground bands out there... Check out the Hot Rod Hucksters or The Straight 8's... hey try some B-52s, or the trashmen... this thread is pretty old but had to throw in my $0.02

12. Sam Navarro

Sam Navarro

13. chubbie

chubbie

I tryed to read most of this:rolleyes: think about it. should the DJ play your fav music or should it play the music of the moment??????? it's a car show and some are really LAME!! Play "cartunes" car songs!! a quick study will find you more cartunes then you can play in 3-4 hours.

belmont playboys: hotrod heart, and runnin' wild. just look'm up!!!

14. davidwilson

davidwilson
    from Tennessee

15. yruhot

yruhot

Of what I've seen lately at VW shows ( and I do like VW's) It dosen't matter what you play, they bring their own stereos that will probably blow your setup into the weeds. And they think every one in a 1/2 mile radius will enjoy listening to what ever kind of boom boom shit they put out. Please if you are one of these we aren't impressed. Take that money and buy some speed equipment and then impress us. OK I feel much better now. As far as music goes mix it up and as said before only play little duce coupe once and only once per day. I personally like the rock a billy stuff and stray cat stuff. But not to loud, I like talking to folks about their cars and what they have do to it and learning something from them. OK my 2 cents worth.yruhot.........Doug

16. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

My musical tastes are pretty wide, but I have to say that after 35 years of car shows I can't STAND the same 15 "fifties top 40 tunes" that get played every show. And, lord help any body that forces me to hear "Doo wop" at high volume ever again because I will do crimes!!! Surf is always good, early punk is great, early sixties Rock-a-billy is good, even deeper off the beaten path fifties stuff is good. If you punctuate these with "the same 15 fifties top 40 tunes" and maybe a bit of '80 hair band stuff, I think you'll have something for everybody. And yes, I am part of the reasonable volume guys as well. Nothing sucks worse than trying to hold a conversation with 50% hearing loss over loud music...

17. Jibs

Jibs

Thats what I'd like too.

18. unclmx

unclmx
    from Atlanta Ga

When I go to a car show I always try to park away from the speakers. I love music but at a car show it needs to be in the background and not blowing everybody away. You'd be miles ahead if you got wireless speakers and placed them here and there, rather than two big boxes beside you. I was a dj like you from mid 70s to mid 80s so I've been there. Look at the people who are there, guess their ages and style of dress and types of cars. Play appropriate music. I pride myself on having a very large collection of car music and I never ever hear those songs at car shows (except Beach Boys). I've been to shows where some DJ has a greatest hits of the 50s or 60s CD and plays it over and over and many of the songs are not original. Don't do that. PM me if you want to get some of my car music.

19. Gromit

Gromit

What a cool question, and cool to see so many different responses.

It depends entirely what the show is. Figure out who is attending and go with that. For instance the only show I never miss is an Old ENglish Car club event they hold on a beach near me. I have a passion for these cars , and the location is totally friendly for my family. Sadly the OECC is mostly retired accountants so the music is mid sixties, lots of british invasion and such. It works, and doesn''t bother me.

I would expect something completely different at a Hot Rod show. There are tons of lists on the Net where you can find driving songs.. you need to sprinkle those throughout the day. Radar Love, Thunder Rd, (Springsteen AND Mitchum) SHut Down...6 days on the road... Mix it up but not too much. You will never make everyone happy but you also don't want to piss everyone off. A Mainstream base sampling from Country rock, Rockabilly, early punk and classic surf instrumentals.. That's where I'd go for a mainstream Hot rod show. A R++ R++ Show could be more hard core a VW show???? Kraftwerk?

(I was a radio music director for longer than I care to remember)

20. If you want some pretty cool songs that aren't very erratic or irritating, may I suggest some nice rhythms like Arcade of Fire's "Ocean of Noise", Concrete Blonde's "Joey", maybe some Chris Isaak (spelled wrong?) stuff.
    If I was subjected to hearing the "Beep, Beep" song at a car show again and put a gun to my head, I'd pull the trigger. That song should be used for interrogation, people would speak.

21. Gromit

Gromit

his horn went beep beep beep.....

GAH!!!!!!!!!!!!

zzford likes this.
  22. THE BRONSON

THE BRONSON

Throw on Electric Six "Gay Bar" for good measure

23. Chrisbcritter

Chrisbcritter

I've done a bit of DJing for car club events; and I always try my best to make a mix that works well with the theme of the event. My favorite work was on drive-in movie nights in which we'd recreate an evening of music from a defunct local radio station (KFWB, KRLA, KHJ, even "lounge music" KMPC) along with jingles and car-related commercials. For a showing of American Graffiti we had the actual Top 40 from KFWB from September of '62, and pretty much none of it was on the movie soundtrack (hey, I like Danny Kaye's "D-O-D-G-E-R-S" song!). And I do try to find a lot of bright, uptempo obscurities that haven't been beaten to death by the oldies stations (Carol Cummings' 1962 "Burnin' Rubber" for example).

24. Polka! Lots and lots of blaring polka. And maybe some of that kid bop shit for the youngsters. I say play to the crowd but keep the volume respectful. Good luck.

25. Gromit

Gromit

A friend of mine does a huge show round here.. the PA he gets actually broadcasts on FM short range, so you can tune it in on the radio. pretty neat actually.

26. Fenders

Fenders

X2 ................
    I like old cars....
    I like old music....
    they each have their place....
    And it ain't together !!

Oldmics likes this.
  27. HllywdWolf

HllywdWolf

Try playing some 50's-60's, rockabilly that's not so mainstream. It is annoying hearing the same songs over and over. Maybe keep it era related and not so loud.

28. Some funny stuff here. But just think & look at how many different & diverse types of music are up/down the FM band - from classical to techno, R&B, rockabilly, doo-dad, country.....

A lot of the shows I go to have just as a diverse mix of car owners as there is music. Y'know? That 80+ guy & his wife with their stock A coupe love Glenn Miller but the 20+ guy & his squeeze next to them are hip-hoppin' away, and both are nearly puking when 'Louie Louie' or 'Little Deuce Coupe' plays for the umpteenth time in 2 hours!

I know this is a conversation of opinions so IMO it's all okay as long as it's a mix; just keep the music at a low db level so the owners and visitors can chit-chat without being annoyed by some "I don't like that song" that's playing so frickin' loud on a bad set of loud speakers that it sends a lot of 'em away because of it.

29. jefscoupe

jefscoupe

Anyone have or even heard of Click and Clack's collection of the most irreverent car songs?
    Two discs. The second is titled "Born not to Run" and has a picture of Tommy in the pose like Springsteen on the Born to Run album.:D
    From NPR's Car Talk radio show. Lots of good stuff there. Covering the gambit from country to rock, bluesy, punky...
    Mostly contemporary recordings.
    I think they would go great at a show.
    "Oh why did I ever buy
    a thousand dollar car..."

"If she wasn't on blocks
    We'd be out on the road
    We'd be out every week end
    if her engine weren't blowed"

"Tell me another one about
    your fictional past
    When the girls were easy and the cars were fast
    and 25 cents would buy you
    a gallon of gas..."

I took my Dick Dale CD up to a DJ at a show some years ago and asked him to play just one or two cuts. He didn't play a one. Then I had to go and nearly fight to get my CD back.

I too am really tired of the 20-30 songs played over and over at shows.
    The one Goodguys show I attended they started in the early 50s and worked their way up into the 80s over the couple days of the event.
    That was pretty cool. Although they were still all top 10 songs..ie already played to death.