Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Car Show Music-What Are Your Top 5 Songs?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The Hot Rod Grille, Aug 6, 2021.

1. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Anything Sonics of course!

Crazy Steve and Elcohaulic like this.
  2. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I often listen to Bob Luman while driving the 40, because of its Mass heritage, hahaha

quick85 and Elcohaulic like this.
  3. Dualing banjos

ekimneirbo, Elcohaulic and Deuces like this.
  4. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo
    from Brooks Ky

Personally, the music should be at a level thats enjoyable over a certain area of the site. I have always enjoyed the music at the streetrod nationals and don't think its overbearing............it adds a little ambiance to the event and helps to create a nostalgic mood. I enjoy it when I'm sitting and watching cars pass by. When I'm up and about, it kinda fades from my mind because I'm concentrating on the cars that I'm looking at. Most of us have gone thru stages in our life as to what music we enjoy. Personally I like older country music as well as the fifties stuff. There are plenty of entertainers that people enjoy and are pre 1990. I don't think most people who enjoy having background music really care that its fifties oriented, but rather that its just something they have enjoyed as they grew thru life. If you play songs that people liked earlier in their life, they really don't think about what year it was released. The important thing is that it helps remember not just their youth, but when they were younger.

Budget36 and quick85 like this.
  5. 34Larry

34Larry

As a quasi pre college music major, I like all the pre 70's stuff, even songs from the
    mid 40's. I attempted playing the trumpet with mild success making it in a dance
    band, marching band, an orchestra (big band and classical), and fulfilled the base bugler
    position at McConnel AFB '58 to '62, and other venues.
    When putting pieces together to form my 34 three window I envisioned when getting it on the
    road, driving it at around say 85/90, windows wide open and Duane Eddies "Rebel Rouser"
    blasting at max volume. Never got around to putting in a sound system though, the exhaust
    would drown out any "tunes".

Edit: The loud car show stuff does get obnoxious to be sure.

6. 5window

5window

Ah, but first recorded in 1952 by Little Willie Littlefield. Little Richard made the first of two recorded versions in '55. Wilbert Harrison didn't record the "biggie" until 1959

7. I was also a business consultant working out of Georgia Tech. College of Engineering for the FAA and others, played music as a 2nd job after I retired. I do have a slanted view - music and cars have always been together since radios in cars with our girlfriends. Again for those with short memories this particular subject is favorite 5 songs for car shows. Here's mine:
    1. Buick 59 The Medallions
    2 Rocket 69 Todd Rhodes Orch.
    3 I got a new car Irvin Big Boy Groves
    4 Get out of the car Richard Berry
    5 Rocket 88 Jackie Brenston
    Be Cool, Jet Up, Get With it, Pay attention to where we are "5 favorite songs for Car Shows"

Last edited: Aug 23, 2021
    AndersF likes this.
  8. Bbdakota

Bbdakota

I'll try to answer the OP's question. It's hard to choose my favorite 5..... but here's a shot at it.
    1. Anything by Elvis... we'll go with jailhouse rock for this list.
    2. Rock around the clock, Bill Haley and the comets.
    3. Maybelline, Chuck Berry
    4. Josephine, Fats Domino
    5. Gotta pay respect to the Everly brothers at this time with Bye Bye Love.

But there's so many more! The big bopper, Buddy Holley, the temptations..... like I said, hard to pick just 5... some of the beach boys...Jane and dean....

As stated earlier, the wife and I like the music portion of a car event. We have been known to get up and dance in front of the band or even a DJ. If it's too loud for you up close to the booth or stage, there's usually plenty parking farther out.

Deuces and John Lee Williamson like this.
  9. 1pickup

1pickup

Hey, I know you. You're the guy who shows up at my honky-tonk band's gigs and is always requesting "Old Time Rock & Roll" or "Freebird" or something by "Florida Georgia Line" or some other fake country artist. People love the terrible music that has been shoved down their throats by commercial radio. Or, they are stuck on what was popular when they were in High School. Not me. If I hear another Supertramp song, I might do something I will regret.

Mark Yac and Guy Patterson like this.
  10. twenty8

twenty8

Boy, how lucky you are. I never did manage to find a girlfriend with a radio in her.......................:rolleyes:

11. What a great idea! Then we can turn her off when needed. Hell, I would be happy with just a volume control.;)

Last edited: Aug 22, 2021
    Budget36, Deuces, chevy57dude and 2 others like this.
  12. chevy57dude

chevy57dude

Good luck with that, Wray!

wraymen and Deuces like this.
  13. fourspd2quad

fourspd2quad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In A Gadda da Vidda - Iron Butterfly
    I Heard it Through The Grapevine -CCR
    Sex Machine - Sly and The Family Stone
    Tied to The Whipping Post- Alman Bros
    I'm Your Captain- Grand Funk Railroad
    .......honorable mention.......The End by The Doors

Crazy Steve and Deuces like this.
  14. Deuces

Deuces
    from Michigan

May as well post the videos.... Because I can't.....:(

15. What are your 5 songs?

16. What are your 5 songs?

17. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Peter Griffin has heard the word...

18. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Gilligan had a radio in his mouth at one time...

19. twenty8

twenty8

I really like the 1952 John Cage classic 4'33".
    I like it so much they could play it over and over five times..............................or even more...o_O
    But hey, that's just me. Everyone is different.

C'mon @wraymen , you're in trouble here too. How about your five ???

chevy57dude and wraymen like this.
  20. Since it looks like we have to pick songs that are pre 65, my favs are:
    Glenn Miller- In the mood, anything by Howlin Wolf, Link Wray, Junior Brown and some others I can’t think of right now.

Deuces and chevy57dude like this.
  21. Lucile Ball stated on The Tonight Show that she could hear radio signals on her new dental work. She said she heard Morse code and reported it to the FBI who in turn arrested a Japanese spy…..Believe It Or Not.:)

Deuces likes this.
  22. Budget36

Budget36

I’ve just blocked you. I am now humming innadagodavida at 4:15 am home from my night shift. If I’m still up at 5 I’m calling in some favors;)

Deuces likes this.
  23. That is one of the reasons I avoid car shows. Who needs someone else's music forced on them? Live bands are far better. At cruise nights I can count on 1 or 2 hooples playing 50's music turned up too loud.

24. quick85

quick85

Good list if you're showing your '67 Camaro RS/SS350, your perfectly
    restored maroon '67 GTO. your yellow '71 MACH I, or '70 442. And you're
    listing Sly Stone' Sex Machine over The Doors?

Mark Yac likes this.
  25. Sounds like my HS parking lot! Maybe add a few Road Runners and a VW or two and I’m there, smokin’ a Marlboro on the fender of my Mustang.;)

Deuces likes this.
  26. trevorsworth

trevorsworth
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As far as pre-65 goes… Duane Eddy, Bo Diddley, Howlin’ Wolf, Muddy Waters… all what hot roddin’ sounds like to me. Some Buddy Holly, Bill Haley, Little Richard etc too.

Post-65 music, can never go wrong with Zeppelin or Van Halen, or Crue, or WASP, depending on mood. Fabulous Tbirds or of course ZZ Top are always in my personal playlists too. Car shows normally play the same 3 boomer hits around here though. I like Fortunate Son plenty but I can only hear it back to back with Freebird and Ted Nugent’s one song so many times before I want to burn my CCR tapes.

27. twenty8

twenty8

There you go, having someone else's choice of music forced upon you. I didn't want to be the one to say it, but finally we get to the crux of this discussion...:rolleyes:

bobss396 likes this.
  28. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

When it comes to car shows I’d rather hear no music at all, live or otherwise.
    I’d prefer the quiet to walk around and look at the rides that appeal to me and don’t need loud 50s music or even the live amateur music performers who for the most part totally butcher the songs they are covering.

29. 5window

5window

None of these are HAMB era songs. If you're sitting in your Chrysler Cordoba with rich Corinthian leather, I guess. And I Heard it Through the Grapevine? Please. Marvin Gaye or Gladys Knight and the Pips. The California Raisons did a better version than CCR!

30. MCjim

MCjim
    from soCal

It is that "Muh Freedum" mentality.