Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Car Show Hotel Rates

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fat47, Jul 8, 2017.

1. Fat47

Fat47
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've held it in as long as I can. I've been at this since the late 50's, building drivers and cruzing all over the country but the attendant costs of going to the bigger shows are beginning to get to me. I know it's a seller's market when the hotels have a captive audience, but I am really beginning to feel the pain in my wallet. Two years ago we paid $80 a night at the KKOA in Salina. This year the rate was double that. Two years ago at the Pumpkin Run in Cinn. we paid $100, this year the rate for Sat. jumped to $200. Frog Follies rooms are up about 40% over the last 3-4 years. No, its not nicer hotels. We have been staying at the same hotels for years. I hear the same complaints form guys at different hotels. I don't see how some of the younger rodders are going to be able to afford the hobby.

I find myself going to more and more small one day events and cutting out the big ones, ordering parts on the net, and missing out on visiting with guys I've built relationships with over the years.

Not that I can see anything being done about it, but I feel a little better now after the rant.

2. 5window

5window

The price reflects what the traffic will bear. Eventually, with empty rooms, prices may drop and you hope by then the show is still alive.

mrbeetle and manx4me like this.
  3. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

That's business. I stopped attending shows that charged a year or two before I sold my T Bucket. I see my friends on a regular basis, when I want to. And I always got a captive audience when ever I drove around....... for just the cost of gas.

4. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

tough on guys with low or limited income too - but, like most any hobby, if you want to play you need to justify all expenses - things like costs of new parts, etc add up fast - even if you stay home and just watch cable TV will cost plenty - agree with having to cut back on multiple nights for staying some place to attend a show - cut back on regular vacations too - gotta do what ya gotta do to stay involved

tfeverfred likes this.

5. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep, they charge whatever the market will bear. I guess I can't blame them for trying to maximize their profits - that's what a business does. I've gone through the same things with Hershey, Carlisle and other big shows. The hotels in Akron, Ohio d it for the Nat'l. Soap Box Derby races when I went to watch my granddaughter race. As long as they can fill the rooms and have a waiting list, the prices will continue to increase. My answer was to not go. I've seen plenty of shows & swap meets, enough to satisfy me. I just won't pay the exorbitant prices anymore.

6. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Just went to Pueblo where the rate for an Econo Lodge was 97.00. Also went to the LARS where we stayed at the Kellogg Conference Center for 94.00. In contrast I just got my confirmation for the hotel in Louisville and it was 180.00. It's definitely what the market will bear. I have one more trip planned to the Good Guys show in Colorado this fall. It will take me all winter to catch from my summer of travels. Probably my last year of going to these major shows as it's getting tougher on a fixed income.

7. I have been going to Pigeon Forge ever since the Gatlinburg rod run bit the dust,the first year in Pigeon Forge the limited amount of motel rooms were very inexpensive but at that time it was a wide spot in the road and Dollywood was just getting started,very little there,but as the town has grown and become a destination for family trips and automotive functions huge motels have been built to accommodate the massive influx,progress doesn't come cheap for the tourist and for the last few years I have questioned my cost verses enjoyment and came to a conclusion that I'm done with Pigeon Forge & the Shades of the Past.

we encountered a serious problem with a fellow member last year (heat stroke) and when we talked to one of the club members about the lack of shade and their policy of no canopy's in the parking lot we were told if we don't like it we should look for another venue..strike one with me.

Upon receiving a call from the same motel we have stayed at for more than 20 years that this year we needed to reserve our room for 4 nights at a total cost of more than 700 bucks and they haven't repainted the room in twenty years just pushed the final button.

I'm sure they won't miss me or my money but it's time for a change of scenery. HRP

hiboy, oldsjoe, hipster and 11 others like this.
  8. Its not just the big shows, try stopping for the night on any major highway during a long trip. The rates are what ever they can get. Coupons and senior discounts help. A few will even work with you and give you a discount that you might otherwise not qualify for, it never hurts to ask. I just got back from HRW in Winston Salem and we paid about $235 for two nights not bad considering it was one of the best Hotels there and we got a suite along with a secure indoor parking garage.

lothianwilly71 likes this.
  9. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

I'm experiencing the same thing when I do go out of town. This year @ Union, SC for Steel in Motion was $122 per night, and last year in the tiny little hotel in Reynolds, GA, which is a 2 stoplight town in the middle of nowhere, except for the Silver Dollar Motorsports Park, was IIRC, $98 per night for the annual Run What Ya Brung event.
    I used to camp, but now that Father Time is catching me, and I have to bring along a mobility scooter and a generator to power my C-Pap machine, camping is just too much of a hassle. Just thankful for having a decent retirement check and no bills, or I couldn't attend just those two events each year.

m&s rodz likes this.
  10. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

It's been going on since the beginning of mankind. It was documented in Aesop's fable of killing the goose that laid the golden egg to get eggs faster while destroying any chance of future eggs. It can be seen in everything as short term gains are taken to the exclusion of long term gains. The locals that go to the Iola show just go one day. Many only go one day. Some of the vendors limit their stay too.

Many shows of all kinds sell the exclusive concessions rights to others. The local air show did this and they were charging $7 for a bottle of water and carry in's weren't allowed.

11. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

I do several events where I can take the motor home to tow the trailer and be close to the event. On the way to Lincoln, saw a KOA with a sign out front "RESERVATIONS ONLY". The price of RV parks is going up just like motel rooms. Probably the worst room price gouging I've ever seen is in Moab UT for the spring car show and the Easter Week Jeep Safari. I'm done with car shows and will limit my activities to local events.

j3harleys likes this.
  12. Gman0046

Gman0046

The Frog Follies and Shades Of The Past used to be our favorite shows to go to. Over the years hotel/motel rates (even the flea bags) at both venues have gone into the stratosphere. Thats if you can even find a place with a vacancy. Its now to the point of getting screwed without the vasoline. What used to be a $500 weekend is now pushing $1000. As a result we no longer attend either event.
    Looking forward to the 2017 NSRA Nats in Louisville, KY. I can sleep in my own bed.

Gary

da34guy likes this.
  13. wvenfield

wvenfield

I go to Hotwire.com. Input Cincinnati check in Oct 28. I get a three star hotel, $84. 3 star weekend deal $45. You don't get to pick exact hotel BUT I use this all the time and have never been dissapointed. Be clever and you can sometimes pinpoint the exact hotel. Maybe you end up 15 miles away but you want cheap.

14. southerncad

southerncad

I hear everyone, so what we have done with some good success, is to go to VRBO (vacation rentals by owner) and rent a 2 bedroom condo/house and split it with another couple, less $'s than a hotel, more room and you can cook if you feel the need to, once we rented a 3 bedroom house with two other couples and the cost when split 3 ways was very low.....just another option.

Baumi, Tim, Fitnessguy and 2 others like this.
  15. 5window

5window

Earlier this spring we were quoted $150 /night for a room at an Econolodge in Tunkannock, PA-which is not near anything happening (we stayed a ta B and B for the same price-but way nicer, plus a real breakfast.) Folks are right: VRBO/AirB&B,Hotwire-always better options and often more fun.

Montana1 and manx4me like this.
  16. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Motel 6 is up to $89 in some places and they don't leave the light on for anyone anymore....

Poh likes this.
  17. OneBad56

OneBad56

There is a 800-car show in Radium BC in mid-September. It's too far to drive there and back in one day without being very fatigued, so one must stay one night. Only problem is all the hotels/motels want a minimum three-night stay.
    So I don't go.
    I use to go to the Spokane WA GoodGuys show and stay at the host hotel but it got expensive so moved down the road to Super 8. It's reasonable but costs another 30% for me because of the dollar exchange, so have stopped going.
    Saving my shekels for a 4-day trip to the Custom Car Revival in Indianapolis next year.
    The host hotel is only charging $87/night, no minimum stays. Retired but working a part time job, Returning beverage containers, cancelling subscriptions, etc. to pay for this one last big hurrah trip.

oldsjoe and HemiDeuce like this.
  18. Marcosmadness

Marcosmadness
    from California

I race an off topic vintage car so I stay at a number of the same hotels every year that are located by the tracks. I too have seen the prices "get out of hand". It is especially annoying since I am at the track from early in the morning until after dinner. I usually go to bed early. This year I am trying the Air BnB places. So far I have been really pleased. I have been able to find places that are clean, quite, comfortable, and very reasonable. For better than equivalent accomodations (and a LOT quieter) I am paying about 50% of what the motels were charging. I also feel like the Air Bnb places are in nicer neighborhoods and you are less likely to have your car broken into while you are asleep. The ONLY downside I have seen so far is that the race car trailer has to be parked somewhere else. I usually make arrangements to drop the trailer off at the track before I check in at the Air BnB.
    The Air BnB's are available in all price ranges and have everything from a single bed to a whole house. So, check them out. As I said, I just started using them this year but so far I have been very pleased.

oldsjoe, TerrytheK and Montana1 like this.
  19. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It doesn't seem to matter what the event is the price goes up.
    Last year I booked rooms in Pismo Beach the day it came out on the HAMB that they were putting on TROG there and still paid 149 a night. On that 10 day trip prices ran from 65 for rather spooky motel 6 in Redding Cali to the 149 in Pismo. On a road trip on the Washington coast a couple of years ago we paid 85 for a room on a Tuesday night and I overheard the owner of the motel tell someone 250 a night for an upcoming event (don't remember what) weekend.

For Dirty Old Man: We run my wife's Cpap on the inverter off the deep cycle battery when we are out on the sailboat and don't have power. I have a little square solar charger from West Marine that keeps the battery up but she has gone five nights no problem without it as it is about the only thing we run off the inverter on the boat except my laptop . That's with a 4 buck inverter that we have used for years. That gives an option when we don't have shore power.
    I haven't decided between a motorhome and a trailer or just a small travel trailer when the 48 is back together. We have some seriously long trips planned so motels are out due to the cost.

20. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

As much money as people put into their cars, I can't believe they stay home so nobody gets to see their cars.. Just got back from GoodGuys Columbus, spent $180 for 2 nights and got to see probably 6,500 cars.. I call that a bargain....

Phillips likes this.
  21. 5window

5window

Guess we're lucky here in central PA. We can do cruise ins and local shows every weekend, Spring/Fall Carlisle, Bloomsburg and Hershey(!!) , the AACA Museun, the Simeone Museum, Boyertown's Museum, the York NSRA show and some others I forgot-all as day trips.

22. Gman0046

Gman0046

I could care less if anybody sees my cars. The reason I go to car shows is to see cars others have built and enjoy the cruise to the venue.

Gary

Last edited: Jul 8, 2017
  23. j3harleys

j3harleys

Well 60 bucks a night is a good deal. big difference in $180 for 2 nights and one night. I think most of the complaints are about much higher rates and 3 or 4 night minimum. I know we are more careful since were on fixed income now. Just sayin

24. OneBad56

OneBad56

The other "problem" other than increased rates or 3 or 4-day minimum stays during major events is the cancelation notice, which many now have at 7 days, some even longer than that. So one can't cancel a couple days before or the day of if the weather is the shits.

TOMMAY, mrbeetle and j3harleys like this.
  25. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

This eliminated a whole bunch of them "Hotel" problems.

Attached Files:

26. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Cost an time along with age,; If I towed my hotrod*{too small to lay down}on my race car trailer with my station wagon,my wagon was good for napping like my custom was.. Back in the early 60s when my body didn't seem to mind sleeping in the car over nite,I did a lot of that on out of town runs. At out of town shows or races, were I know some one fairly well that lived there,often was invited to use the couch or spair room. Now days its at best one show a year out of town,we do slow down an time keeps rolling along,I still if one nite only find a 24hr eatery an sleep in the car,but no way my old body can do that 2 nites in a row an move on day3. I had a tent an air mat many years back,all rolled up in small neat roll to stow-a-way. I used a few times in KOA's an a like near event out of town.

27. GTS225

GTS225

Thanks, Sheep dip. I was gonna suggest that, but a pic is so much better. Light weight, classic lines, and campgrounds are still decently priced.

Roger

28. HRBOB34

HRBOB34

We went to lake George, NY show for more then 15 years.
    The first years were $29.00 a night because they wanted people
    back after labor day. The last time we went $150 +? Haven't been back in 10 years or so?? Wait in line for a restaurant for 1.5- 2 hours, not fun anymore!
    I hear now over $400.00 a night with 4 night min.
    Crazy! we don't go anymore? liked the show and the area. But why?
    Cause they can? I guess?

29. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had that problem in Vt. years ago they almost doubled the price for the NSRA show. Haven't been back since.

30. WiredSpider

WiredSpider

Try paying for a room during speedweek at Bonneville.
    $1000-1500 for a week.
    3 day minimum and no refunds