Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Car Show detailing

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BLUSHU, Apr 8, 2018.

1. I am in the process of detailing my O/T for an upcoming local car show.
    I'm interested to know of any detailing secrets or tips that will make the most impact during judging.
    I have shown the car a couple times in the past.
    The first time about six years ago, the car was basically a stock survivor with a few bolt on goodies
    (wheels, intake & carb., Boss 429 hood scoop,etc).
    The car didn't do so well & didn't even place in the awards.
    The second time was 3 years ago after a 8 month total rebuild in which virtually all parts were stripped from the car & either rebuilt or replaced & painted & detailed.
    This time the car came in 1st in it's class & also received a Big Brothers of Canada Choice award.
    Needless to say I was a pretty happy camper!
    With this in mind I plan to show my car one last time in this show & then I will move on to my other more HAMB friendly car.
    Seeing as the car was shown in it's completed form a few years ago it is no longer a new build & it will be a bit tougher to place well.
    Any ideas as to how to make it stand out would be appreciated.

dana barlow and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. FrankenRodz

FrankenRodz

- I keep a Lint Roller in my Glove Box. Quick way of removing debri from all interior surfaces.
    - Compressed Air can, typically used for computer keyboards, works great for dusting tight areas.

3. Put 22" Billets on it and neon. That should do it. ;):D

XXL__, Blues4U, metlmunchr and 15 others like this.
  4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

From what I have seen over the past 47 years of participating in and going to car shows few rigs that have been shown for several years in the same area ever win awards after the first year or two. Meaning simply go to enjoy participating in the show while presenting your car at it's best (which should be done while looking for a trophy or not giving a rip about trophies) and enjoy the day sharing your car with others and don't get your undies in a knot if you don't get a trophy to haul home.
    Looking back probably one of the best actual moments or recognition I ever got showing my truck was at the 1973 Street Rod Nationals when I walked back to the truck and a high school age kid was having his photo taken standing beside the truck. That was because he was working on one like it. In the long run that was better than a dust collector that would be long gone or in a box in the attic.

As for detailing, clean the hell out of it top and bottom. If you open the hood make sure the engine compartment is spotless. I see guys with cars who think they have to pop the hood the minute they get parked at an event that have filthy grease covered engine compartments that show there was no attempt to clean them up.
    After you get to the show don't leave clutter in the interior, No jackets tossed in the back seat, no goodie bag contents laying around. If you have kids don't let them sit or play in the blooming car because most people judging or picking an award will pass right by any vehicle with kids inside or people sitting inside. Don't do like one group that comes to a local event every year does and set up camp around the car with people laying on blankets beside the car or lunch litter around the car.
    If someone asks questions about the car at the show give honest and friendly answers. I saw a guy miss out on an award at one show because he tried to bull shit the people who were looking at cars to pick a special award. I happened to be taking photos of the car at the time and his story obviously didn't jive.
    I do remember those days in the early 70's when I first finished the truck for the first time when I was really into the trophy thing. Funny thing is looking back it never got a trophy in those days. I wasted more time looking around to see what the competition was and how I thought my ride compared to the than I spent having a good time.

5. The only detail I consider when going to a car show, is that I have enough gas to get there and back..could be why I never get any trophies.
    Good luck in your show.

XXL__, Blues4U, Hombre and 11 others like this.
  6. Familiarize yourself with the rules and criteria of the host club or sponsors. They can be totally different from one to the next. Even better if you have experience or knowledge of what the cabal of judges base their personal opinions. For example, I know of one fairly big "club", with chapters all across the country, that awards extra points for how much crap (memorabilia) you have staged around your vehicle to set the mood.

Give it your best shot (trophies are nice to get) but don't get too hung up dealing with the politics or any dark side of the force. Make it your main goal to have fun, meet some new friends, etc., and any awards should just be considered a bonus and good fortune.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2018
  7. Not sure if they still do it, but this club in MD used to have their own cars registered in the shows they hosted, and then they would win trophies! :eek: That was back in the 90's. I couldn't believe it.

8. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm not much of a car show participant but to prep for the very few I go to I just hose off the p/u, throw a chair in the back, load up the ice chest, and go and have a good time.

okndnx, XXL__, Hombre and 6 others like this.
  9. Besides possibly an "under construction" award, my cars have never been trophy material.

I do spend a lot of time cleaning chrome, and vacuuming, making the car as presentable as possible.

Shows pride in ownership...

10. I wash the car the day before I go, then dust it (with a 'California Duster') when I get there (because it's always dusty from my 3/4 mile gravel/dirt driveway), then clean the bugs off with Windex. That's it. If I get an award, I'm pleasantly surprised; if not, I have a good time going and looking at the other cars....

11. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Haven’t competed in a cruise or show for 20 yrs now.
    When going... rarely. I pay the price and throw the ID tag in the trash.
    I’d rather talk to the young ones and love a compliment when someone likes them.

12. wvenfield

wvenfield

Too many people worried about winning a trophy is why I quit going to car shows.

Hombre, leon bee, lucky ink and 9 others like this.
  13. Special Ed

Special Ed

Clay bar it, polish it by hand, hand wax it. Buff it like a mofo.

Dean Lowe, BLUSHU and Bandit Billy like this.
  14. I ignore the trophy whores....

We used to have a guy in one of our local clubs who wouldn't enter a show unless he thought he could get a trophy. He had two vehicles, both stockers but with semi-interesting stories. One was a 'Dale Earnhardt Signature Edition' late-model Chev truck (cosmetic package sold at Earnhardt's dealership, not even an 'offcial' GM deal), the other was a low mileage ex-cop late Crown Vic optioned well above the usual versions. He had 'brag plaques' for both. He'd get upset if he didn't at least 'place' in his category. Both were more curiosities than anything else.

15. DIYGUY

DIYGUY
    from West, TX

I enjoy sitting near mine and watching the people's reactions as they look at it. If they look around for the owner and give a "thumbs up "or " nice truck" I couldn't be happier.

Texas57, Hombre, mgtstumpy and 3 others like this.
  16. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

17. I do not do to many shows anymore, gets in the way of racing . I would rather run then sit. LOL. But when I take the coupe to a show I just try to make sure she is clean. This old drag car almost always wins , I can not figure it out. The only reason I can think of, its usually the most uncivilized car at the show. I do not care about awards at all,we just have fun, and the car scares the hell out of the trophy hounds. LOL.

chryslerfan55, pat59 and Scooterville like this.
  18. engine138

engine138
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Commack NY

The more bugs on the grill the further you drove no trailer queens here

19. Gman0046

Gman0046

Red dingleberries around the windows is always a hit with the judges.

20. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

the only reason to bring a car into a show is to have a place for your cooler and some chairs.

slayer, Used Up Junk, Hombre and 8 others like this.
  21. Knghtcadi

Knghtcadi

That’s what mines for I’m not sure it will ever be that nice for trophies but then again I never listen for them or watch others get them

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  22. 29moonshine

29moonshine

i like to set behind my car and learn all about it from people who know nothing

mkebaird, Hombre, 62hotcat and 6 others like this.
  23. slowmotion

slowmotion

Set it on fire. :eek: OR figitabout all the award/trophy hubbub and just enjoy your car. Ain't worth all the butthurt to follow. Sounds like you've done a good job on it & have been rewarded as such. Don't fall into that trap. Those trophy hunters are at the top of the Wendy Whiner WaWa club.:rolleyes::D

chryslerfan55 and BLUSHU like this.
  24. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Hmmm...Bet THOSE answer your question.

Body: If not, try this: Always worked for me. My '46 Coupe was Washington Blue, and the wax was hellish to get out of small crevices, such as around the emblems, chrome trim, etc.
    Buy a 1-1/2" wide paint brush, trim the hairs down to 1/2" in length. The wax lines will come off nicely, and the detail between paint and chrome is like..."Zap!" Very noticeable.

Tires: Use Kiwi black boot polish (the standard can of paste) For the can of Kiwi a small damp sponge might be best. (2" X 3", handy size)
    Apply the Kiwi like you were polishing an H&H Paratroop jump boot. Rub it in, (not in circles, but thoroughly) Use a boot brush, 3" X 8", soft bristles. Rub the polish repeatedly, look for a 'reasonable' shine.
    Judges (if 'schooled') will be impressed by fresh, black tires that have NOT been 'painted' with tire black.

Clean windows inside and out, with newspaper. The black newsprint will polish the glass to a clear sheen.
    If you're gonna do it, do it.

25. Thanks.

26. I can't wait to get the half ton done (avatar)
    It's a little rough around the edges so I don't have to worry about the shine.
    Just check the oil & get in & go.

27. I usually check the oil, apply rain X, pick up the trash on the inside and roll

Crazy Steve, roundvalley and BLUSHU like this.
  28. I quit going to car shows when the organizers started having new cars(dealers) on display.

Texas57 likes this.
  29. Yes, I'm entered as part of a club display.

30. wvenfield

wvenfield

Yeah, so many new cars hasn't made them any more interesting.