Register now to get rid of these ads!

car show cut off years

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by yellowf100, Aug 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yellowf100

yellowf100
    Member Emeritus

just trying to get an idea of others opinions of people that think they are special and show up at shows that clearly advertise a year cut off, say of 1965 and earlier only, and they show up in a primered 1980 malibu and get let in??? why list a cut off if they are going to let every thing in that has the money to pay the gate... just a question to see how others feel about it..

2. If you are going to post a cut off date,,enforce it!

NSRA threw in the towel so maybe the clown driving the 1980 Malmardo thinks if it works for them it will work for him. HRP

3. firingorder1

firingorder1

I'm just glad they didn't have cut off years back in the 50s. A 28 year cut off date would have made for some slim shows.

4. If a show loses money, they don't hold it the next year. The more cars they can let in, the better they do. It's about the cubic dollars - just because someone has a 1980 whatever on display doesn't mean I have to look at it.

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You are beating a poor old dead horse with that one.

As far as a later model being let in. There is always some club member's kid, brother in law, best bud or what ever or someone buddy buddy with the people putting the show who is allowed in with very few exceptions. After 40 years of going to rod runs it really isn't worth worrying about unless you are the one putting on the show and you want it kept honest and to what your list of rules say is allowed.

Hell at the All Italian car show at the Triple X rootbeer burger joint in Issequah Wa a couple of years someone picked one of those kit car Miami Vice Ferrari clones as the "best Ferrari". The guy power parked his kit car and hob nobbed with the right people. Talk about a bunch of pissed off Ferrari guys. Sometimes it isn't what you have but how well you bullshit.

6. Dave50

Dave50

Only posers need want to make money... Its all about the cars and people like yourself, Oh but wait its 2013 its all about money and letting every jack ass in with whatever they show up with..... I`ll stick to certain shows its down to about 4-5 a year but there worth going to.

7. Photogs189

Photogs189

When we were doing shows we opened it up to any year.
    But we cut out classes. Because sometime we got 3 cars for the class and there was 1st 2nd 3rd place.

So to give everyone a chance.
    We gave out 50 trophies "Awards of Excellence"
    Also best paint, best engine, best interior, best original, and best overall.

People seem to enjoy the way we did it.

8. dorf

dorf
    from ohio

if u can buy it off of a car lot ,it doesnt belong at a car show .

9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Vintiques Northwest Nationals that was held this past weekend in Yakima is a prime example of that. for the first 25+ years it had a 1948 Cutoff year and most years they had 700+ cars. Several circumstances involved but the numbers dropped as a lot of guys found other events or things to go to, died or just dropped out of rodding. They upped the year to 54 to include one long time club member's car and a few years ago upped it to 72. Last year you couldn't tell if you were out in the parking lot or in the show at times due to the crappy looking mid 60's early 70's cars that were entered in the show. Way too many Craigslist $1000 beaters from the late 60's early 70's and one 72 Dodge Polara 4 door sedan that I would swear was my grandparents old car.

10. boojoe

boojoe

I've been to shows that look like a used car lot. Down here most of the shows are for charity so they let anyone willing to pay come in

11. DAVEG2

DAVEG2

If I want to see new cars I'll go to a car lot.

12. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

There's lots of cars at shows I'm not interested in looking at.

I just walk past them.

13. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ohhhhhhhhhhh................yawwWWWWwwn.................whatever.

14. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Some car shows here in Florida are really crazy and they will ask you to move your car from the front of the show to the rear parking area so their friends can all park together.

Most of the guy's no longer go to these car shows because the people who run them act like jerks.

The problem is when you act like a jerk people treat you like a jerk.

Jimbo

15. Well, when you can pay off all the bills to put on a show, you can make the cutoff whatever you want, but since running a show is essentially running a business that operates just a few days a year, if you want to keep having that event you probably should try to come out far enough ahead to keep everybody happy with it.

16. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

I had a pig once, but it died....or was it a duck?

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  17. pastlane

pastlane

Better behind the wheel cruising or in the shop wrenching than sitting in a field or parking lot worrying about a crap dash plaque or trophy

18. Whether car show or cruise night, look at what you like and ignore the rest. Yes, I get tired of all the late-model plastic pigs, vipers, "new" hemis (in my book, there are the '50s Chrysler, Dodge and DeSoto hemis and the 64+ Street hemi). What gets my juices flowing are traditional hotrods where the craftsmanship is imaginative, unique and technically superior; good amateur restorations; and unusual stuff that I haven't seen in years. Last Cruise Night in Belton, Mo., I saw a '48 Studebaker pickup in cleaned up - not restored - original condition; a '61 DeSoto; a '27 T roadster with an Olds rocket; and a '27 Plymouth with a street hemi. The month before, an unrestored but running '26 Chevy and an original '50 Ford with all the factory options caught my eye.

19. The37Kid

The37Kid

If you have a CUT OFF date enforce it or see the show turn to crap in a few years. If people can't read you don't need their vehicle on your show field. Bob

20. chopped

chopped

I"m so trad I close my eyes when driving on the interstate.

21. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

If you have a car show for a charity than open it up for all.
    If not than enforce the cut off date.

22. slammed

slammed

The promotor caved in, has had his pair snipped by the PC crowd. Like most everything in USA society, it has become cheapened and generic. Do your homework to find shows that are really to your liking. Have you seen the latest wave of FNG's coming on board?

23. A cruise-in will draw everything,,including brand spanking new cars,domestic economy cars to exotic foreign sports cars,,and what shows up and cannot be controlled.

Our club has had several successful indoor shows at one time but we screened the entrants before hand,,in the beginning it was a rod & custom show,,nothing newer than 1950,,we always had more cars want to show than we had room for.

We decide to do a outdoor show and raised the year model to the 60's,,we had a 25 year rule,,and enforced it.

Later on we were ask to host a show to raise money to help a couple of Charities and was forced to let any and everything in,after all it was about raising money.

We did it but when the mini truck crowd with their ludicrously loud boom boxes showed up we decided car shows is a thing of the past with us! HRP

24. 55chevy

55chevy

I agree very much, however, I would have a special category for later year cars that want to donate to the car show charity, and they could display their car in the car corral, (usually in the back) For Sale or On Display, On Display cars get a vote on how much the voter thinks their car is worth. But I do agree somewhat, how many people want to see new Mustangs, Challengers, and Corvettes on display at a car show?

25. redo32

redo32

I went to my first NSRA event in a long time when they returned to the NorthWest last month. Considering the big dust up about them changing to the 30 yr old sliding rule last year, I didn't see one 1982 Chevette. (If I could have found one cheap that could have made the 100 mi trip I would have taken it just to test everybody's sense of humor. But that's me!) There were some nice Tri5's and Riviera's and if there was anything there that was objectionable I didn't pay enough attention to remember it. I've got a buddy that I have tremendous respect for that runs a local cruise and they have the car owners vote on cars not in their class. You would think the car owners would be honest & knowledgeable, but they do some real stupid stuff too. It's best to go with an open mind and a good sense of humor and enjoy yourself with no great expectations, you might find a surprise. Don't let the IDIOTS get you down!

26. As far as Milltown goes...

I paid my $15 to look at cars, drink cheap beer, and see friends I don't get to see enough. Life is short.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.