Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Car Show Accident

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Model A Gomez, Sep 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

This should be a warning for everyone who puts on a car show. Was at a show yesterday and they were giving awards inside a building while driving the cars through so everyone could see them. A Fuel Altered won an award and was towed into the building behind a four wheeler, he decided to fire it off and drive it out. They fired it up and as he was pulling forward he blipped the throttle to spin the tires. The throttle linkage failed and stuck wide open, he went out the door, down a short driveway into a street and hit two cars. Fortunately nobody was killed the, driver was taken to the hospital. There were people in the building, along the driveway and in the street. There is a time and a place for burnouts but this wasn't one of them.

Attached Files:

KCsledz likes this.
  2. belair

belair

stupid is as stupid does. If the best thing that can happen is "nothing", then you shouldn't do it.

56don and Hnstray like this.
  3. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

4. First thing I thought,and the poor guy in the 55 suffered the stupidity of a idiot!

It's a drag car for crying out loud,not something to be played with or show out with inside a building,,what a ass clown! HRP

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 28, 2015
    volvobrynk likes this.

5. 117harv

117harv

Is it a wonder why a lot of shows have a push in and out policy.

volvobrynk likes this.
  6. STUPID>>>>>X10
    Does the idiot have a name ?,,ban him from any sort of participation in any thing auto related.

7. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

worst part is that the driver of the altered probably doesn't have insurance on the car if its not street legal etc.. So the guy who was the victim got a double penetration!

8. Add to dumbassidness the policy of selling and serving alcoholic beverages at large car shows and it is a wonder that we don't have more accidents.

I have always been a kind of a dumbass myself, get me wound up and watch out I am just liable to try and tie someone with a nitrous bottle to a skateboard.

9. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

My car club does a show every year and it is written in the insurance policy no driving, speed contest, burnouts, etc. It's too bad stuff like this happens. Dunb!

10. mike in tucson

mike in tucson
    from Tucson

Hmmm.....first time I have ever heard of someone trying to show off in front of a crowd. Crap like this only adds to the anti-hot rod mentality.

11. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

lets not forget how many of these accidents have happened this last year due to hung throttles.. Few really nice cars have met their fate like this...

12. And to top it off,I pray the Club that is hosting the show has adequate insurance because they may also be liable for legal action regardless of the show entry form the participants signed. HRP

volvobrynk and lothiandon1940 like this.
  13. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

A friend told me about this today. Ark City KS. Show. That altered is a regular at the HAMB Drags.
    Glad no spectators were hurt and hope the driver recovers OK.
    And yes, DUMB!

Doctorterry likes this.
  14. Funny I always thought that mechanically should should be a requirement for entry. A throttle sometimes sticks but it could be avoided most of the time. But while one could require mechanically sound it is still hard to weed out the mentally unsound.

I don't feel bad for anyone involved shit happens but I still know in the back of my mind that this could get ugly and many many people could end up involved in the process.

15. Several years ago we had a guy in a pro street Camero do something similar at our show which was held at volunteer fire department as he drove through to get his trophy he thought it would be cute to light up his tires and leave black marks on a freshly painted floor.

Fortunately,there were no hung throttle cables but a bunch of pissed fireman and club members.

As I recall the man and his wife had to pay several hundred bucks to repair the damage,he has been refused entry to any of our shows in the future. HRP

16. Andy

Andy

I got nailed by a clown at the LSRU a few years ago. This guy had a built tunnel ram big block in a shortened 34 Ford. He would start it up every so often to show how much noise he could make. He finally started it in gear from outside and it ran across the road and ran into my car. There were plenty of people around and it is a miracle he did not sandwich anyone. That was the last time I went.

volvobrynk and Doctorterry like this.
  17. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Hindsight is 20/20 fellas...

I'm a hot rodder. I like doing burnouts. I like making senseless noise. I enjoy being a child stuck in an adult's body. With that, comes repercussions of course... But because I have the maturity of a 16 year old, I feel like I'll never have to pay that debt.

I'm sure I will someday. Shit happens...

Point is, give this guy a break man. I'd bet good money I'm a way bigger dumb ass than him.

18. 99 times out of a hundred I will agree with you Boss,but common sense dictates there is a place for everything,,this wasn't the place.

Remember,your on drugs right now! :D HRP

19. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I kicked a guy out of the HAMB Drags for doing a burnout in the host hotel parking lot on a Friday night with lots of little kids around. Afterwards, I felt like a total hypocrite... That's all I'm saying.

20. LOL remember gas powered bar stools?

I was at a big well promoted show in Des Moines in the '90s and someone left one running outside one of the beer venues. I always wanted to try one of those, and I tried it right into the rear tire of a very nice deuce roadster. The guy who owned the deuce thought it was pretty funny ("well it is the 'beaner after all") the guy who owned the bar stool not so much. Hell if he didn't want me to ride it he shouldn't have left it there. The show promoters now have a no motorized bikes mini bikes and etc policy. I am sure not because of my mishap though. :D :D

Thuth be known we are all a little young at heart, it is up to the promoter to be prepared for all things.

volvobrynk likes this.
  21. Doctorterry

Doctorterry

See this car at MOKAN all the time

22. prpmmp

prpmmp

I never much agreed with my Bosses!! This is no exception!! and I dont think the owner of the 55 would agree with the Boss!! As someone on the HAMB said,Stupid is supposed to hurt!! Pete

2racer, volvobrynk and Hnstray like this.
  23. Race car. KILL SWITCHes. Inside/outside. Kept in reach. That's it. I'm out.

KCsledz, volvobrynk and Doctorterry like this.
  24. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Give it wide berth..

lothiandon1940 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  25. I am going to fathom a guess that the car has an outside battery switch and that the fellas at the show are not staging lane pros. But yes a kill switch close to the driver is a good idea for a race car.

I am pretty sure that the element of surprise got everyone involved.

KCsledz, volvobrynk and Doctorterry like this.
  26. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

yep, shit does happen - this is an "accident". but, do need to try to prevent as many accidents as possible when you are inviting cars, people, etc to your event. a local car club used to put on a car show on Main St that allowed the rides to cruise down the street. was fairly low key in the beginning but, then hundreds of cars and crowds of spectators started showing. the street was too crowded for cars to cruise. even with a big insurance policy the event was finally stopped out of concern of one throttle getting stuck, or whatever, and someone got hurt. there were other reasons included in decision to close down.

27. 19Fordy

19Fordy

:eek:"I enjoy being a child stuck in an adult's body."
    Sadly, the maturity of one's brain does not always match the maturity of one's body.
    Hence, reliance upon the "It's not my fault. Shit happens." syndrome.

28. tikiwagon13

tikiwagon13

There's a time and place, that was neither.

2racer, falcongeorge and volvobrynk like this.
  29. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

There is a show in So Cal for old drag vehicle, they parade down the street,, but they cannot have a drive shaft connecting trans to rear..... so yes it is a towing show and the promoters understand child/hot rodders.

30. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ohhh... It's absolutely this guy's fault. He should (and I'm assuming will) take full blame... There is no getting around that. My point is this:

The guy made a stupid mistake. A mistake that many of us could have probably made as well... To me, it seems senseless to sit on a keyboard and talk about how "stupid" he is though. And maybe that's just a defense mechanism as I'm pretty confident that dude is no more stupid than I am.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.