Register now to get rid of these ads!

Car Lots and lots of them

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 48_HEMI, Jul 29, 2004.

1. 48_HEMI

48_HEMI

When I was a kid in the South 1942-1974(Southern California! Is there any other South?) riding my bicycle down Colorado Blvd I was never in to much of a hurry to stop at all the Car Lots and Browse. No one would run me out for opening hoods and checking out the seats and stuff. I've never out grown that Joy, I just got a little more selective. there were many cool lots in Pasadena. and many names are obscured in my memory, One that stands alone was Marvin Lee's lot about a block east of P.C.C. and right next to Bob's Big Boy, Where I used to go in for the free Water Decals. Marvin's Custom City was all cool cars never seen a stocker there.there were a few that have always stood above the rest like the red 36 Ford three window coupe with a rumble seat and a rambler cross country front seat that would fold down to a full bed. I still want to clone that Idea (at 62 I just want to take a nap at rest stops [​IMG], much different than the dreams I had at 15 [​IMG])then in 57 Marvin built that beautiful black 57 plymouth with the chrysler fins.
    so many Memories and Now My favorite Is Matthews Memory Lane in Portland Oregon (I'm now a notherner)I Do the Glass work there (I have to be careful to leave my Checkbook at home) I have to go back this morning to replace a vent window I pulled yesterday out of a 36 ford pheaton.
    I'm sure many of you have the same things going thru your heads. what were some on the all time greats and where are some of your current favorites. I'm going to post a few pictures from yesterday and test drive a tan 34 four door today [​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. 48_HEMI

48_HEMI

four doors no waiting [​IMG]

Attached Files:

3. 48_HEMI

48_HEMI

the mill [​IMG]

Attached Files:

4. Bob K

Bob K
    Member Emeritus
    from Antigo Wi.

What is with the 3 chrome strips on the front of the tub????? I've never seen those before, is that some kind of an aftermarket thing or are they one off???

B [​IMG] B

5. 48_HEMI

48_HEMI

I just put a new windshield and door glass in this 455 buick powered 39 Buick

Attached Files:

6. 48_HEMI

48_HEMI

I don't know if that was a dealer or aftermarket item but I've seen several 36's around the NW running them
    this is a sign in the back seat of the 36. this car has had the same owner for 45 years and is not for sale

Attached Files:

7. 48_HEMI

48_HEMI

last one I have to go play with OLD CARS, It's a hard way to earn a living but someone has to do it [​IMG] This is one I took thru the windshiend of my work truck with 790,000 miles on it and still gets me there 15 minutes late [​IMG]

Attached Files:

8. While you were dicking around in So. cal, I was working the car lots on 82nd street.
    "Just make 'em run so they'll sell" was their credo. I don't know how many "rebuild pills" I dropped down worn out 348 chevy spark plug holes......did the same fix to high-mile corvairs.
    Hey, just for your info, the last time I saw you cruising up your driveway in the blazer, it was bouncing like it needed a few new shocks... that was last year or so....
    Yeah, you got a nice job...I'm jealous.

9. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Every once in a while we'd ride over to 4 corners (a town near Silver Spring) to check out the new stock in the only car lot in the area that dealt in mild customs and hot rods. It was sandwiched in between the east and west bound lanes of University bulevard. It gave us a reason to get away from the Mighty Moe for an hour or so. He always had some neat stuff that the regular lots were afraid of. It was like going to a car show.

I'll always remember a white 60 Pontiac mild custom.

10. DrJ

DrJ

[ QUOTE ]
    What is with the 3 chrome strips on the front of the tub????? I've never seen those before, is that some kind of an aftermarket thing or are they one off???

B [​IMG] B

[/ QUOTE ]

Might be a Duvall grill.
    (Or a competitor's version...)
    They usta make various custom grills and made the now more famouse Duvall windshields to go with them.

11. Tuff Tin

Tuff Tin

Where's the car lot with the Buick and the 48 Plymouth Rag? It's not Matthews!

12. Tuff Tin

Tuff Tin

Whooops! Maybe it is. He moved from Foster down to Holgate and I haven't seen the new location.
    That's what happens when you just look at the pictures. Reading the print? What's that?

13. 48 hemi, even though I am younger and dont share the same exact memories, I can echo your comment about the old buildings/shops in Pasadena. Dont forget about Blair's Speed Shop!!Being born in Arcadia I grew up in Pasadena/San Marino area. I loved the old buildings say between Rosemead to the east all the way to Orange Grove. Man, I miss SoCal!!

14. Dale Matthews place is great! I spent a year in Portland. Have you met Dan Leedom yet? He owns Poly Cast. Look him up, he's into old Fords. Sam Parker is another one to look up. Dan can put you in touch with a lot of good guys in the Portland area. Tell him Dean Garlitz sent you.

15. slammed

slammed

Neat history and pic's. A Post like this is refreshing.

16. Humboldt Cat

Humboldt Cat
    from Eureka, CA

[ QUOTE ]
    48 hemi, even though I am younger and dont share the same exact memories, I can echo your comment about the old buildings/shops in Pasadena. Dont forget about Blair's Speed Shop!!Being born in Arcadia I grew up in Pasadena/San Marino area. I loved the old buildings say between Rosemead to the east all the way to Orange Grove. Man, I miss SoCal!!

[/ QUOTE ]
    Familiar areas, I grew up there, too, and got into cars a bit too late to be able to see Pete 'n Jake's old place on Las Tunas in Temple City (D'OH!) (what's in its place now, though?). One place I LOVED to check out was a modest shop on E. Live Oak near Live Oak and, oh hell what's the cross-street, the boulevard that heads north and dead-ends into Arcadia High? Anyway, right beside where the bowling alley used to be was Tony's Auto Body. That place had so many cool rides and early tin comin' and going through those shop doors. I was a lanky 14-year old walkin' my dog by it, just to sneak peaks at some of those rods, kept buggin' them to hire me. Actually came across an old picture of it, recently, will try to scan 'n post it tomorrow.
    Tony's. Yer right about that stretch o' road, too, Kustom55! I wish I'd been going to PCC when that shop a block-east was still there!

17. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

I was mostly droolin on muscle type cars during my 60s adolescence, wouldn't even give anything with an automatic a second look. The car lots used to actully let you take cars out for a drive without going along. One afternoon a buddy and I took a 66 Lemans. with the ohc 6 banger and 3 speed on the floor, for about an hour and got in a couple stop light races. That salesman was pretty nervous and pissed when we got back. If the tight ass had left more gas in it we would have been gone longer. [​IMG]

18. 48_HEMI

48_HEMI

that plymouth caught my eye too! stock six, dual carbs, headers,dual exhaust,and overdrive [​IMG] I'd have to take off the fourth rear view mirror

Attached Files:

19. 48_HEMI

48_HEMI

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    48 hemi, even though I am younger and dont share the same exact memories, I can echo your comment about the old buildings/shops in Pasadena. Dont forget about Blair's Speed Shop!!Being born in Arcadia I grew up in Pasadena/San Marino area. I loved the old buildings say between Rosemead to the east all the way to Orange Grove. Man, I miss SoCal!!

[/ QUOTE ]
    Familiar areas, I grew up there, too, and got into cars a bit too late to be able to see Pete 'n Jake's old place on Las Tunas in Temple City (D'OH!) (what's in its place now, though?). One place I LOVED to check out was a modest shop on E. Live Oak near Live Oak and, oh hell what's the cross-street, the boulevard that heads north and dead-ends into Arcadia High? Anyway, right beside where the bowling alley used to be was Tony's Auto Body. That place had so many cool rides and early tin comin' and going through those shop doors. I was a lanky 14-year old walkin' my dog by it, just to sneak peaks at some of those rods, kept buggin' them to hire me. Actually came across an old picture of it, recently, will try to scan 'n post it tomorrow.
    Tony's. Yer right about that stretch o' road, too, Kustom55! I wish I'd been going to PCC when that shop a block-east was still there!

[/ QUOTE ]

Kustom & Humboldt,
    I wasn't writing about me, just the memories of riding my bicycle before I was old enough to legally drive. glad it sparked some of you own.
    I moved from Azusa to Pasadena in '54 my mom worked at Gwinns Drive In in east Pasadena. was a real hot spot for cruisers till Bob's Big Boy built their Drive In three blocks east. My first job was setting up tray's and filling water glasses for the car hops. Gwinns had a full Soda Fountain with two Soda jerks on friday and saturday nights. cars waiting in line two blocks down Colorado Blvd
    Those big house's were awesome.Our house was one block east of Rosemeade and about two blocks north of Huntington, A big Two story spanish style with five bedrooms and an apt. for servants quarters upstairs with its own entrance and kitchen,living room and bathroom. 5 car garage and a two roon log cabin in the back for the chauffer.The walls were 19 inches thick and had very heavy dark red velvet drapes. they sure don't build them like that anymore. 502 so. Michigan Blvd. I drive by it everytime I go to California.