Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Car ID help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Overbiter, Aug 15, 2017.

1. Overbiter

Overbiter

Found an old family pictute and brother and I are racking our brains to figure out what it is. It looks about 1929-31. I dont know of any cars with horizontal louvered hoodsides. It looks like a 30 nash but the hood isnt quite right. Any ideas?

Attached Files:

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. AlaskanMatt

AlaskanMatt

Packard?

play hard, drive fast

3. Chandler, around 1928.

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Last edited: Aug 15, 2017

5. manyolcars

manyolcars

Y'all need to believe X38. I do :)

6. 1928 Chandler.jpg
    Nope. Car in question has four rows of louvers and a side cowl vent. Chandler has two rows of louvers and no side cowl vent. Chandler has the door handles on the belt molding. The car in question does not.

7. The car is probably a 1930 or 1931 due to the 10 spokes per wheel. Most had 12 until 1930.

8. I have to go with Chandler, also, They had three rows of horizontal louvers on some models and I found a horrible, hot rodded one on Google with the cowl vent. I suspect it is a Senior model

9. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

upload_2017-8-16_13-23-12.jpeg

In 1929, Chandler Motor Company was purchased by its expanding competitor Hupp Motor Car Company for its factory and manufacturing facilities, and the brand was discontinued.

10. Yes. Some Chandlers had three rows of louvers. I think the car in question has four rows, one of which we cannot see. So....what about the lower door handles and the side vent? Sorry, I am not convinced and yes, I realize it's not all about me.

11. greybeard360

greybeard360

Not either one of those. Odd thing on this car other than the hood louvers is the 10 spoke 5 lug wheels.

12. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Here is a '29 Chandler with 5 lug, ten-spoke wheels. 29 chandler 2.jpg

slv63, Gotgas, X38 and 1 other person like this.
  13. metalman

metalman

I'm not conviced the OP's car in his pic has 4 rows of louvers, the hood might not be that long. Other then the cowl vent I'd go with 29 Chandler, even the door handles are moved down from the pic of the 28.
    Interestingly I just Googled Humpmobile thinking if they bought out Chandler this could be a 30 Hupp. Hood louvers don't match but the bodies of Humpmobile (even the 28/29s) look almost exactly like the 30 Chandler.
    Both companies bought their bodies from the same coach builder maybe? Who else might of used that coach builder?

14. I guessed around 28 and am happy to go with 29.;)

15. Overbiter

Overbiter

I think this would be easier to determine if I could find similar colored cars. The Two tone extenuates some details that are hard to see in solid colored cars. My brother though maybe the hood had been changed at some point, maybe from an accident I find it unlikely that the fenders would be okay. Although the hood color does appear a tad lighter than the rest of the car.

16. Still....what about the side cowl vent? That is a BIG difference.

17. Overbiter

Overbiter

I'm not convinced 100% either. But so far every guess is better than I had-which I do appreciate.

18. Here is the car that I mentioned 799675bffe9db8d067b469ef4ebe2c09.jpg It has the vent and two rows of horizontal louvers. Could the Senior series have a longer hood with another row?

Attached Files:

19. Overbiter

Overbiter

Very interesting, That's the first one I've seen with that vent. I'm very impressed you were able to find it. I would say the Chandler is a good candidate. I'll have to read into them a bit.

20. Pretty much a customised car....different belt molding and door handle location. A LOT of non-Chandler parts on it.

21. Overbiter

Overbiter

Another vehicle I found with similar vents is a 29-29 Falcon Knight. but I'm not sure they made this body style. It's tough to find any info on Falcon since they seem to have gone away by 29'.

22. I concur, it probably IS a Chandler, but a different model with the side cowl vent. Arkiehotrods photo helped a lot. Definitely not a Falcon-Knight. Too many differences. I wonder about the lack of a taillight on the car in question, too....it should be right there on the rear fender. Maybe it is mounted behind the body.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2017
  23. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Found this on the AACA forums. One is 1929 Chandler 75 and the other is 1929 Chandler 75 Royal
    1929 Chandler cowls.jpg

X38 and tb33anda3rd like this.
  24. Overbiter

Overbiter

This is great! Collectively there's some fantastic Detectives. I'll say 29 Chandler 75 and Be pretty happy with it, Now I have to see If I can figure out who in my family owned it, It seems unlikely that anyone in my family would've had a car as nice as this back then. But It wasn't super high dollar either. And In reading It was a pretty popular make at the time Until Hupp bought the company and disbanded it. Allegedly there aren't many of them on the road as compared to similar makes of the time since they used more wood construction,but I'll be doing a little more digging to see how many were produced/are left. But This is still cool to see.

Thanks for all your help everyone!