Register now to get rid of these ads!

car buying advice for my sis

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fleetmaster, Apr 16, 2005.

1. fleetmaster

fleetmaster

ok-here is the deal. my sister and her husband want to get into hot rodding. for awhile now they have been looking for some sort of starter project. she called me today and said they were kinda looking at this one on ebay. so, i figured i would check it out. now, i dont know enough about cars being only 16, to really know if it's a fair price or not. it seems sort of high. but what do i know. so, it would be great if you guys could check it out and let me know what you think about it. is it a good car?price? i guess i am just ignorant when it comes to this.-thnx-fleet

here's the link:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6173&item=4542680392&rd=1

2. 5window

5window

I'm sure other HAMBers will weigh in with specifics about the '37'38 Chevy, but in general,I'd be very suspicious about buying a car on Ebay that you can't put your hands on. You didn't say where your friends live or what skills they have,but this car is indeed a project. It needs body work,engine work,transmission work,wiring work,gas tank,seats,glass,paint,trim, and a host of other items. It's curious that this seller is "seling for a friend", and I don't like the fact that he keeps referring to the defects as "perfect for a Rat Rod".

It's also curious you must pick up the car in 30 days or forfeit your money and shipping to your locale could take time to arrange. All in all it seems high to me and I have enough trouble buying cars I can see and drive. I wouldn't touch it under these conditions,but like I said,I'm sure others will weigh in.

3. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

Could the seller use the word Rat Rod one more time? :rolleyes: I think in my honest (who seriously cares) opinion....that your sister and her husband need to consider what they want before they go hand some idjit 6 grand for a car they MIGHT seriously not like! Just because I want a car, does not mean I'm gonna throw down my money on the first 'rat rod" that I come across......ESPECIALLY if it's marketed on E-gay. I'd suggest you let her and her husband have a go thru of the HAMB classifieds and give her a real chance to buy a vehicle from a fellow HAMB'r. At least then you'll know that you are getting a sound buy, as opposed to some e-gay prick who's just out to make a buck and has no concern for your family.....also might help a fellow HAMB'r out!
    xxx
    Brandy

4. It seems pretty well built, though it's borderline "streetrod".

The engine and tranny issues would scare me. (305's had some cam issues) and it must run poorly for him to say the carb needs to be rebuilt. I'd tell him to put a NEW carb on it and see what he says.
    The tranny is just plain shot...

If your sis and her guy are gutsy enough, a really nice roller could be bought for around a grand, and since this one needs an engine and tranny, why spend the money?

The subframe could be half assed or crooked, too. I've seen as many bad jobs as I have good ones...

Not many ebay sellers show you the bottom of a car. That's cool, but get pix of the front half of the frame. The welds and the gussets. The shit that seems two miles away in the picture.

My vote... buy a car that doesn't need so much put into it to drive, or, ask him to reduce the price to compensate for the cost of rebuilding the engine and trans (I never trust anyone that tells me it's the carb that needs rebuilding...) or else... just build one.

Some mention was made about selling it for a friend. Did he just buy the gloveboxe door (second item in his feedback) for his friend, too?
    That is something to be thought about. To me it means he thinking there's potential for negative feedback, for some reason or another...
    ...not that there might not be a real friend. :rolleyes:

I can find a roller in as nice of shape, in original condition for around a grand.
    For the other $4800 they could build a better car than this one...
    aand more traditional.

That's what I think...

JOE:cool:

5. fleetmaster

fleetmaster

thanks everyone. that was kinda my opinion, but i didn't want to say anything because what do i know!? everything you guys are saying makes sense. i will take a peek at the HAMB classifieds and see if i can find anything-thanks again-fleet