Register now to get rid of these ads!

Car building checklist

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 4t64rd, Apr 12, 2006.

1. I have never built a car from the ground up before, but I'm in the middle of doing that now.

I know that some of you do this all the time... some even do this for a living.

Does anybody use a checklist to make sure that everything gets done and so everything is there when you need it? kinda like project management?

I've signed up for 2 classes this semster and I will be getting a new job on July 1, so my "garage sanity" down time is going to be precious, and I want to make the most of it.

2. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Make sure you're wearing fresh underpants before you write the checklist.

3. Retrorod

Retrorod

I always make lists as I go. I start out with the basics once I decide how and what we are building. I usually start out with a chassis list, then I kinda cross reference things as I go because so many components involve fitting and pre-fabbing. You can build a rolling chassis but unless you have already thought about pedal placement, exhaust routing and stuff like that you can get all screwed up trying to finish the car. I hate re-doing critical components because of crappy placement. I like my cars to be drivable.

4. Chapulin

Chapulin
    from Hell Monte

When I was building my 30, I had list for my list. Electrical list, power train list, interior list, steering list...just keep your eye on the prize.

5. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

after you have made your checklist, double check it. :D

6. repoman

repoman

1. Big Fucking Hammer

2. Beer

3. Apprentice

4. Blow torch

5. Vice-grips

6. Car!

7. Beer

8. Helmet

9. Monkey

10. Alan Kalter
    [​IMG]

7. 29 sedanman

29 sedanman
    from Indy

I think the list work very well. I like to make short term goal list as well as long term. The short term goal list always has allot of little thing you can knock out quickly. these are the things that usually dont cost much to complete and the long term list is the stuff to do when you get the money to finish that piece.

8. I was hoping I wouldn't have to change into fresh undies... Maybe somebody with more experience has a computer file (Word .doc, Excel worksheet or database)?

9. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I used a list but be sure to grab the right one on the way to the speed shop. Got some odd looks when I asked for a loaf of bread, 1 litre of milk and some condoms at the Performance car parts shop............
    Doc.

10. mikeyboy

mikeyboy

go to office depot & get a pack of the small (5x7) legal type pads....as you come across things in the build, parts to buy, things to do/ change. Leave these in various places, as you build, think of things, you will have a place to write this stuff down.

11. KIRK!

KIRK!

You'll make about 50 lists. Every time you finish three things, you'll add four more.

Here's the one I made last night, trying to get clear what I have left on the Lil Say-10 modified. The list is NOWHERE near done.

Modified

-Cut out old motor mounts and boxing
    -Box frame
    -New trans cross-member w/extra supports
    -Drill I-beam
    -Paint I-beam (black POR-15)
    -Strip and paint front backing plates (Burgundy)
    -Rebuild front brakes
    -Reassemble front end
    -Recess front wishbone plates
    -Fill excess frame holes
    -Redo floor supports after motor and trans are mounted
    -Rear end spring mounts 47”-48” apart
    -Clean up and paint rear backing-plates
    -Rebuild rear brakes
    -Get rear drums turned and assembled
    -Convert rearend to open driveline
    -Make floor
    -Make trans hump and tunnel
    -Cut seats down
    -Make dash
    -Windshield? What posts?
    -Sandblast and paint wheels
    -Clean up rear-end and paint (black POR-15)
    -Seat pads
    -Brake pedal and master cylinder assembly
    -Gas pedal
    -Fuel block
    -Aluminum fuel lines
    -Convert distributor to Pertronics
    -Mount tires
    -New driveshaft
    -Swap rearend housing sides

12. Besides Kirk's list, maybe this post can be where we all put down our ideas and at the end I can consolidate them all down into something we all can use... Something in outline form and universal.

1. Frame
    2. Front suspension
    3. Rear suspension
    4. Engine
    5. Exhaust
    6. Plumbing
    7. Wiring
    8. Body
    9. Paint
    10. Interior
    11. Burnout & drunken celebration
    12. Next project

13. 29 sedanman

29 sedanman
    from Indy

No wonder they looked at you funny, you asked for a LITER of milk. Every one knows they come in gallons!

14. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

sedanman, now it all makes sense. I will head back in and ask again. Funny thing is the local supermarket didnt have an 10 gallon cand of methanol either.
    Doc

15. PorkChop

PorkChop
    from Austin

For my sedan I have/am working a spreadsheet that has a general outline like yours above, then subsections with more specific details. The parts for each piece of the list pie, and totals for each section and totals for the end..

I am trying to incorporate a 'schedule' into it aswell.. give myself targets to help me focus...

With all the little shit you have to buy 'on the fly' its good to leave room to add those in, so in the end (if there is one..) you know exactly what you have in it, dollarwise.

16. 4tl8ford

4tl8ford
    from Erie, Pa

Uhh, Cows?

17. Paul

Paul
    Editor

things to do before I die

build a hot rod

18. It's gonna be close at this rate...