Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Car Appraisal?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by miller, Jan 29, 2021.

1. miller

miller
    from New Jersey

...I am looking for an appraisal for 2 cars in New Jersey these cars have not been in any accidents. I just want to know what there worth. ...1 is a 51 and the other is a 32...Thanks for any leads... Miller

2. oldolds

oldolds

I can't help you for someone in your area, but.... Why do you need the appraisal? It can make a difference who you get. Is it needed for divorce, to settle an estate, or for insurance? Or buying and selling. There are different answers for each of those questions. Some only need one sheet of paper, others need a few sheets of paper for the appraisal.

egads, mad mikey and lothiandon1940 like this.
  3. miller

miller
    from New Jersey

Thanks for the reply ...I need it for selling only ....NO others reasons such as you wrote...Thanks Miller

4. 5window

5window

Google turns up lots of antique automobile appraisers in NJ. You could also check the AACA site . Here's one to start: https://appraisingautos.com/

mad mikey and lothiandon1940 like this.

5. ......A little more info might be helpful, like where in Jersey are you and are these Fords, Chevy's, Plymouths, Henry J's,. Your post is just a bit ambiguous.:rolleyes:

mad mikey and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  6. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

My next door neighbor had his 56 big window ford pu appraised, they showed a value of 65K Car was a 15 year old build, 350/350, Chromed blower, huge meats on the back, tweed interior, resale red w/ghost flames, nova front end.
    had some minor issues such as a leaky master cyl. Sold for about 1/2 the appraisal.

7. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is usually how it works. The only money made is the for the appraiser.

8. Yep, best bet is to just do some searching on comparables and what they are both listed at and sold for if checking something like that auction site.

9. Budget36

Budget36

You’ll be your best appraiser, see what’s out there for sale comparable to what you have and set your own price. As a guideline you can look at old car guide, NADA, etc. but in the end if you want to sell it sooner than later your price needs to be adjusted accordingly

mad mikey and guthriesmith like this.
  10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It would have to be an appraiser who well was well versed in that specific brand of vehicle.
    Simply meaning that a guy might be the top go to appraiser for tri 5 Chevys in the country but if you are selling a pair of Shoe box Fords he may not be the best.

Still even if they are your own, standing back and looking at them with an honest eye goes a long way.
    What exact condition is/ are the vehicle (s) in? Fresh build, old build, unrestored original, restored recently original, older pro / armature restoration, Barn find, field find or ???

I'd say you have to honestly look at what you have and then compare that to recently as in the last two years very similar vehicles. A lot of times the results from the Mecom or BJ auctions from the days they weren't on TV may be quite honest indicators of what the real and not alcohol or "wow I am on TV" bidding on something. That is when the unrestored but decent runners, older as in 15/20 years older builds of not famous cars go across the block. Also when a lot of reality hits when that 90's build with 90's wheels and the tweed interior and pastel paint brings about 40% of what the seller wash hoping for and was sold to someone who is sending it straight to a shop for a redo.

The other way is to detail it out no matter what condition it is in, Birdshit and barn dust have no actual value and take it to an event or swapmeet and put a stiff asking price on it and see what cash green money offer you get for it.

mad mikey and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  11. miller

miller
    from New Jersey

...Wow I just got a great deal of info here . I will have to look better and re think this...Thanks to all Miller

TrailerTrashToo likes this.
  12. oldolds

oldolds

Again. Why do you need appraisal? Selling your own car, another persons, or buyer requests one?
    Most selling appraisals are usually just based on comps. They look at similar sales. Just like real estate. The look at big auction prices, classified listings like Hemmings, and various old car internet sites. You can do most of it yourself. If a buyer wants it then you need the third party, because they want the paper that it is written on. An insurance appraisal will me high because it will figure what it costs to replace the exact car. An estate appraisal it usually light because nobody want to pay taxes, unless some party wants all the money! Same a appraisal for divorce. Who wants the money and who is paying for the appraisal. There is usually about a 20% difference between them.
    If the appraisal is twice the price the car sells for the appraiser was not doing his job correctly. He was working for himself, He got paid a percentage of appraised price. A guy that works flat fee is usually the way to go.

I was in the used car business for years. I learned to do 2 minute appraisals at car auctions. A group of us often played the guessing game on car prices going thru the lanes. $5 a bet. Sometimes I did not have lunch money.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2021
    lothiandon1940 likes this.
  13. miller

miller
    from New Jersey

...I wanted it so I would know what these maybe worth and what starting price I can put them up for when I go to sell them. Other then that no reason.. Thanks Miller

guthriesmith likes this.
  14. catdad49

catdad49

Miller, this is a Great place to go for information. There are many here who have "been there, done that". If you ask an honest question you will get honest answers ( except, maybe a few tongue in cheek ones)! If either of your cars fit the criteria here, share them for us. Good Luck with your sales, Carp.

15. redo32

redo32

Post some pictures. We are always willing to tell you what they're worth.

16. Remember , it is only worth what someone is willing to pay.:) Good luck with your endeavor .