Register now to get rid of these ads!

Car and driver magizne... Scam and Fake

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rotten johnny, Oct 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ftroop

ftroop
    from Detroit

I can't wait till my cousin see's his ass being handed to him in his Willys!!

2. They've been doing the shit for years... I'm sure they got permission to use the photo from whoever took it. Maybe you should take the photo where the Beemer is behind, chop in a Prius instead of the Anglia, and send it to BMW USA with ransom demands...HAHA.

3. rotten johnny

rotten johnny
    from Mi

Steve: AHHH-HAAA now it hits home,ehhh
    I wonder how its going to feel to be the top dog at C&D when this is all over??
    Rainy days,topsoil business and a computer......see what happens.
    Im shudderen to think maybe a civic's gonna line up with me next outing!!
    O-MY lions,tigers and beemers......O-MY

4. BangShiftChad

BangShiftChad

It sucks when the magazines do stuff like that, but it's not uncommon. They aren't trying to screw you, but they need to sell cars so they want the Beemer owner to feel like his car is fast. Since you were at a public place, during a public event, and you signed your life away to the track operator, and he let the press in, you have no right to your photo.

With that said, nobody but a Beemer owner could possibly think the photo was real, or that you didn't pass him 40 feet later.

I think the bigger issue here is that your buddy was looking at C&D! And he called to give you shit? He's got a lot of nerve. :D:D:D

Oh, and Freiburger is at Hot Rod and Hot Rod Deluxe now.

5. rotten johnny

rotten johnny
    from Mi

Chad..........you make a lot of sense

6. BangShiftChad

BangShiftChad

Can I save this quote and have it framed? This might be a first.

7. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

There is NO moral values left in the advertisement community when it come to misrepresentation something to get you to buy it . They are the lowlife of the business world when it come to lying just to get you to buy a damn foreign car !
    Go and make them pay you dearly for the damn picture that is BULLSHIT unless they want to make it a REAL DRAG RACE !

RetroJim

8. 201

That mag went down hill ever since they forced out Brock Yates out. Thats why I get Road & Track to look at cars that I'll never be able to afford and the ocational story on old Britt. sports cars. I really like reading Peter Egan's columns and articales though.

9. rotten johnny

rotten johnny
    from Mi

Chad,you can as long as you get up to 5 posts,then frame away.

10. econo 1966

econo 1966
    from seattle wa

11. c-10 simplex

c-10 simplex

1) First off, all/most car magazines stink these days.

2) i remember reading this article a few weeks ago---i think i was at my dentists office or something and i specifically remember seeing that photo knowing full well a bmw whatever could not beat an injected altered/gasser nova, but i thought it was pretty neat picture regardless.

But i fainly remember that the caption just read "the bmw x6 also races a gasser nova" or something to that effect? It didn't say that the bmw beat the nova?

a) If dragstrips are private property, then i don't feel that the mag has any right to use your picture without getting permission? i am assuming here that the picture of your car was taken at a dragstip? Regardless of who took the picture.

12. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

car and driver is parrot cage liner anyhow i wont even read the free copies in my dentist waiting room , its mighty boring

13. rotten johnny

rotten johnny
    from Mi

Enco,thank you. Got info from website and phone call was successful (editor in chief) and now I have a promise this will be addressed and I will be getting a explanation. I will continue to pursue the truth and justice here.
    You get to be the first one to drive the bmw after we win it. We can get drunk and roll it off a cliff or something...............Johnny Rotten

14. rooman

rooman

Johnny,
    explain to me just where it says that you got hosed by the BMW. As noted by another poster the text records that a hemi powered Anglia beat the BMW. I would think that you would be happy that they picked your car to photoshop for the article in the biggest selling auto magazine in the world.
    I love your car but you are getting bent out of shape over nothing.

Roo

15. Newbomb Turk

Newbomb Turk

Sometimes it's not about legalities or money or lawsuits. Sometimes it's about principle and morals. IMO they owe Johnny an apology. They could have just as easily used the actual car they raced and photo shopped it to look like it was behind. I'm gonna guess the guy in the Anglia was asked if they could and he told them no. Again, just my opinion.

16. BangShiftChad

BangShiftChad

I'm up to 6 with this one!!! I was already a member here, but not super active, and then when I tried to sign in today it was all messed up and wouldn't let me change my screen name from CarJunkieChad to BangShiftChad so I just started a new one.

WoooHoooo, I'm framing something!

17. rotten johnny

rotten johnny
    from Mi

Roo, what pisses me off here is a American publication is showing a picture of what appears to be a imported vehicle beating a piece of American muscle built for the track.This Roo,in my opinion,is fraud,and de-grading to the background of these cars. Hell,its a downrite lie is what it is.
    Im here in the motor city. I don't think this is helping the American auto's image,especially because it has all been fabricated. This may be hard for you to swallow but walk down the streets around here,look at what has happened.
    Or what the hells another kick to the balls.............were there now

18. BangShiftChad

BangShiftChad

The drag strip is private property, and to enter it you must sign the waiver saying you won't sue them for anything. You are also signing that they can use you, your image, etc. if you are there using their facility. If they then allow access to the media, which they do by providing us with wrist bands and required signatures on more paperwork, the media has permission to use anything they photograph at the drag strip. Sorry, it's just how it is.

19. rotten johnny

rotten johnny
    from Mi

7 Chad,your on a roll

20. How'd you like it if it was your car being supposedly beaten by the Bimmer?

Everytime some shit for brains schmuck recognized it from C&D they'd say "Hey I reckognize that car... it got beaten by a BMW SUV... your car must be a pile!"

Well... at least that's why I'd be pissed about it... :)

BRING ON THE GRUDGE MATCH! :D

21. Mike The Photo Guy

Mike The Photo Guy

I think dudes that write for magazines should be able to do whatever the hell they want. I think if you bring your girl to the track, they should get a trailer session with her. All writers should be able to commandeer race cars on site for personal evaluation. How else can we form worthwhile opinions. You need to settle down here Mr. Rotten and buy the next freelance writer you see a beer! An American beer! Have a great day Johnny. See you at the track soon bro!
    Mike TPG

22. rotten johnny

rotten johnny
    from Mi

See what happens when we get a rained out heads up friday......
    Where you wanna meet Mike.

23. I wouldn't sweat it. The only people who will be looking at it are yuppies at dinner parties who actually thing it is possible to look cool in a bmw. And of that group, most wouldn't know the performance potential of of an injected big block Chevy II gasser if it ran em' over. The reality of it is car guys don't read car & driver. (I mean REAL car guys).

24. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

99% Of your average, myspace loving, teenage thongwhores. Sad but true.

25. squirrel

squirrel

you've never met Chad have you?

26. rotten johnny

rotten johnny
    from Mi

No.........but I wouldn't post a picture of Chad with me beatin him up either.

27. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

Go gettem rottn johnny,
    I too sent an email asking them wtf? They've lost their integrity over there?

A friend of mine,80 years old,a WWII Atlantic-theater vet who later worked for B&O Railroad tending locomotives read a book concerning the capture of a N#zi train which was transporting prisoners to a camp.
    On the cover was a B&O locomotive that he said he might have tended with the american coupler and a big rototiller-symbol on the front of it.
    The background scenery looked like the area right thru here where the train would've ran.
    He was furious! I mean pissed!
    I emailed the publisher and called them on it.A designer had used a source photo and p'shopped the war symbol onto what they thought was an acceptable choo choo.
    To date,the publisher has not responded....

28. BHfanGB

BHfanGB

I saw that pic in the mag and didn't think much of it. A casual glance gave me the impression that the shot was taken just past the Christmas Tree and I could believe at that point the BMW would be ahead of the Nova. Why? Well, the BMW is all wheel drive and probably barely squeaks a tire coming out of the hole. The Nova, on the other hand, is incinerating its rear tires in a search for traction. In my mind, I figured that once the Nova actually bit, it would be all over as all four doors of the BMW would be sailing through the air from the shock wave the Nova made going by.

Hey, let 'em photoshop these pics to their hearts content. When the boneheads that go out and buy these BMWs come out looking to play, won't they be surprised!

29. rotten johnny

rotten johnny
    from Mi

Thats a picture of the nova doing a burnout..........It hooks and goes. If it was smokin like that on a launch, Id have to replace ALL the rings or take 60 pounds of boost out of it..................

30. DetroitWonk

DetroitWonk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.