Register now to get rid of these ads!

Car ad sayings I love to hate...what's your's?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Aman, Jun 6, 2012.

1. k9racer

k9racer

Its a old one.. I must sell this car because my "Mother need's Operation" .. Many years ago "Got drafted must sell before going to Army"... "Need to sell wife is having baby" I saw this on in Hemmings a while back " Car has High Drama Matic transmission.

2. Ester Eddie

Ester Eddie
    from Alaska

Just saw this one on C L ...."

" I have a 4 door1951 Buick for sale. I have too many projects. It's not running but shouldn't take much more than a batter and a starting motor rebuild(to the best of my nolige). The body has some rust. The front and rear windsheild are perfect."

3. NUMBERS MATCHING, no engine or tranny

4. "In excellent running condition but WILL need Transmission".....

5. "T'RANTULA"

"T'RANTULA"
    from Ohio

1. Runs great but needs engine rebuilt.
    2. Good condition for its age.
    3. Ran good when parked, no motor or trans.

6. $20,000 invested, asking $8000

IMO that's a pretty poor investor!

7. One I use at swap meets, "purchased new by original owner " I ain't lyin'

8. "T'RANTULA"

"T'RANTULA"
    from Ohio

Im gonna steal that one. ;)

9. "No time wasters".

Mtw fdu.

10. Nonstop

Nonstop
    from CA

"here is the link to the eBay post".....either sell it for a set price or auction it, do not post your auction on CL.

Just a phone number in the ad - if you are not going to tell me anything about the car, I am not going to ask.

As mentioned, "Rare". Way overused.

"Kelley Blue Book is XXXXX." I do not care, I am on CL, not pricing a new car.

Any ad in Spanish or with poor grammer. If I cannot read what you are selling, I will not give a shit to ask about it, although more for the poor grammar ads, I will assume you are dumb and try to talk you down.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2012
  11. TheEngineer

TheEngineer
    from New Mexico

Actual ad: 1973 cadillac coupe deville $1500 OBO Runs good, p/w, p/l, a/c works. All original. 1986 chevy blazer k-10 $1500 OBO. P/W, P/L, A/C, strong 350 engine, needs transmission. $1500 each or $2500 for both vehicles or willing to trade for a car, truck or atv.

ImageUploadedByTJJ1346988894.707053.jpg

I called him and he said I could drive the Caddie home (about 100 miles). Sent my brother to look at it (he lives there) and it looked great but had no battery, he had run out of gas and conveniently didn't have a key to the lock on the gas cap. He did have extra window regulators for it though.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

12. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

"My Wife says either the car goes or she does"

= Makes me want to call and ask if he'll accept a set of balls in trade for the car.

"Older restoration"

= Usually Model A's that were "restored" in the 50's or 60's. As if a buyer will think; "gee, it was already restored (50+ years ago), it'll just need to be cleaned up a bit". I envision reality being a 100% complete and total mechanical rebuild and "unrestoring" all the shitty, pop riveted and brazed bodywork that "Handy Dan" did in 1959. Reworking someones past restoration work is usually more work than starting with a rusty untouched car.

The "threatening" ad. "Last chance before I list it on ebay" or "Price will go up as I do further work on the car"

= "Oh SHIT!, I better get right over and buy this before he starts laying down paint and sending out chrome". The seller speaks as if it's a 1000 point Deusenberg restoration slothing along and is solid as a gold bar in your hand getting heavier as each hour ticks by.

A car selling for $50,000 will state, "$200,000 invested, or $40,000 in engine build alone". Really? Where are these guys getting their SBC's built?

Craigslist ads that list the price as $1 in the header, or HAMB parts for sale ads that say "price in ad" = For me, this is a flashing neon that says, "don't open the ad; the parts are priced at least 2x the market rate".

Worse yet are the "bottom fishing" ads that list a slew of rare parts and have no price or boastfully say "make offer", "EXPENSIVE" or "CALL".
    Not sure about now, but in pre internet days, Hemmings was always great for this. Someone would list a bunch of early V-8 parts for sale with prices. Then the rare part ( 34 open car cowl, etc.) would be listed and under price -CALL. What the hell, did the guys ad space suddenly use up its limit of numerals!?:confused:. If you call, you'll probably get the guys secretary-or a reaaaaaaaaaaalllly long story that's just telling you he's really not interested in selling the part.

Ads with no pictures, blurry, dark, cell phone pics. Pics so far away, you can't have a clue of the car or parts condition. Then the "sorry for the crappy pics or I don't know how to post a pic".

Ads that are nothing more than an ebay link for the guys auction (SPAM).
    Hey, I search ebay multiple times a day for the parts I'm looking for. I go to other sites to get away from ebay and hopefully find different stuff for sale, not for you to redirect me back over there-I already saw it.

13. k9racer

k9racer

I saw this one a while back in local news paper. Must sell for 2 thousand or I will haul to crusher. I called and ask him if he would take 7 hundred as the weight of a chevy PU would only bring less than 5 hundred.. His answer was no!

14. deadgearhead

deadgearhead
    from Washington

I'm getting sick of ads that have EVERY buzz word and catch phrase in the title and description just to get the item included on EVERY search term!

BTW, I'm selling a Hot rod rat rod model a deuce coupe roadster street rod 28 29 30 31 32 34 blown camaro nova modified pro street classic pro built sled flames patina bagged gasser drag project big block small block traditional original custom chopped channeled sectioned tail dragger......

15. Deuces

Deuces

Huh??????.......

16. gbh

gbh

95% complete! Needs little work to finish.

I once knew a guy who did a lot of buying and selling of expensive classic motorcycles. I was surprised when he wanted to buy some complete junk from me (cheap, of course)I thought it was suitable for the rubbish dump.
    I thought, who would want sprockets with teeth so worn and bent that they looked more like a buzz saw than a sprocket?
    He said, "It doesn't matter how BAD the condition ANY part is. I can claim the bike to HAVE those parts!"

He's pretty wealthy now and has an awesome collection!

17. The only one I hate is the TV commercial that goes "It's HUUUUUUUUGGGGEEEEE-UH" ... anyone with a Billy Fucillo dealership in their area will understand. And he has quite a few from what I understand.

18. Rich68

Rich68
    from Warren, CT

"Motor gone thru"

With what, Air? Green gas? A .45ACP?

I think what it really means - "I started a teardown, saw stuff I didn't like, so $15 in gaskets and a CraigsList ad later, and you're the first sucker to call up"

19. ol55

ol55
    from Virginia

Is your item stil available?

20. scrubba

scrubba

RARE , ( READ EXPENSIVE AN OVER PRICED )- hey this one's been mentioned already, I know

Professionally painted , ( Yeah by Maaco or Earl Schieb )

Southern car , ( Yeah , next to a swamp )...........

Folks , I aint makin non of this up . I have actually met these weasels !!!!!!!!!!

scrubba

21. Post Apocalyptic Kustoms

Post Apocalyptic Kustoms
    BANNED
    from Outside

I hate a lot of new car slogans too, like the Chevy truck ads that say "They wont last". Well no shit, ALL new cars WONT last, they are P.O.S. junk that rust out in 3yrs and throw a rod through the block in 4yrs after you drive them off the lot.

Or Ford that brags about being the "best selling". Because yeah, thats what I want to drive, what EVERYBODY ELSE drives.

22. towithome

towithome
    from oregun

"..if it doesn't sell, I'm gonna fix it up and ask more money"

Sounds too much like a threat.

23. EdselRich

EdselRich

I always put that low ball offers are always considered :D

Chrome 'n' Flake

24. teejay99

teejay99

...priced so low , we can't advertise it ...

....real corinthian leather ...

25. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

"If you can find a better car, buy it" Lee Iococca, up until Chrysler bought AMC.

26. CodeMonkey

CodeMonkey
    from Moline IL

Here's some from recent local ads:

"4 brand new tires all the way around." Is the other option to buy tires that are 1/2 new, 1/2 not so new?

"Need it gone before Friday, or i'm just going to keep it." The ad's been running for 2 weeks.

The poor grammar ads irritate me too:

"lifted and ready for 26s custom Candy Pearl with Royal Blue strips with metal flake all Custom interior White and Blue Leather with embrotary on head rest custom grille V8 motor Overdrive trans Flowmaster dual exhaust lookin for $5,000 obo will take $4000 if i put the old wheels back or TRADE for ??? what u got open to most reasonable offers" Dude, seriously, haven't you heard of punctuation or spell check? I really like the TRADE for ???. Does that mean if I ask enough questions I get the car for free?

Can someone explain exactly what "duel exhaust" means? Line up at 50 yards and backfire? I always thought it was "dual," meaning 2.

Not saying everything I type is perfect... but I try.<END here rant>

27. LN7 NUT

LN7 NUT

I agree, spelling mistakes are one thing, but when you can't even figure out what they are trying to convey in the ad because of terrible or even worse, purposely bad spelling and grammar and have to ask... and they still wont say... it boggles the mind.

28. kennkat

kennkat

"Put a Dodge in Your Garage... Hunny.....

29. deadgearhead

deadgearhead
    from Washington

Yes it is. I need it gone by Friday because my mother needs an operation and I've been drafted.

30. outlaw256

outlaw256

OBO...but no low ballers, i still dont understand that one.what is a low ball price for a car. ive seen cars that tbhey wanted 25,000 for but its only worth say 15,000 at the most. so if i offer him 15,000 im i a low baller or a guy who knows cars and aint takin a fuckin.? most people know what they want for the car, so just say how much you want. are they waitin for someone to offer more than they wanted to begin with.