Register now to get rid of these ads!

Car ad sayings I love to hate...what's your's?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Aman, Jun 6, 2012.

1. "it has an engine out of a Corvette", there's more cars advertised with vette engines than were made.

2. jazzfidelity

jazzfidelity

Barn find.. Now there's a term that's been used and abused to death..

3. TheDozer

TheDozer

"will trade, but, NO JUNK!"

I love that, because usually the vehicle they're trying to trade, IS, junk!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

An old used car salesman saying was, "It runs out real good."

It's so overused it's comical. But lately, I have actually read that line in printed ads!
    Craigslist is always a good read.

5. imperialman67

imperialman67
    from minnesota

This one irks me to no end. Then they have a picture of what it "could" look like when finished. Running a close second are all the seller commands

"I know what its worth so don't low ball me"
    " I don't need to sell"
    "serious buyers only"
    "Don't waste my time"
    "No picture takers "
    Etc Etc Etc

6. grazy

grazy

Read one for a mid 50s Ford recently real short and brief 4 lines total but one line stated new rear brake lines ? Really of all the things about the car you could have told me about , but instead you talk about 15.00 worth of lines and fittings ? I would have rather known if it was a six or V-8 maybe if its a stick or auto.

7. dart165

dart165

I've posted a few in the other thread about this... and most of my top few are already listed, but here'e a few anyway, and how they translate to me:

"Rust in usual places"= So rotted, that it would take too long to list each area individually.

"Only needs (*insert $10 part here) to run"= I haven't atempted to buy the $10 part and install it because i'm pretty sure that there's a whole lot more wrong then I want to tell you about.

"Best offer (usually with no price in ad)"= I have no idea what it's worth but i'm hoping some dummy will offer more than I hope. I will make sure to be insulted when someone offers less, though.

"Saw one just like it go for BIG $$ on Barrett Jackson"= I believe that my busted old 4dr is worth about as much as the "1 of 2 ever made factory light weight big block X-code 4 speed covertible."

"Barn Find, or Barn Fresh (on a car that obviously isn't either)"= It was stored at some point for some time in some structure... maybe.

8. 45_70Sharps

45_70Sharps

No pictures, you need to come see it.

I don't live near any of the cars I look at!!!

9. LN7 NUT

LN7 NUT

After reading the misused descriptions thread I now know that people have no idea what OBO actually means anymore... and I find that sad.

I am guilty of this as I have an extremely nice 85 Lincoln LSC listed online right now, and I don't care if it never sells because it's a great car and I enjoy driving it, it's listed because I have 5 of them and I just don't need it. If someone was looking for a nice one and finds mine to be the one they want, then great, if I still have it in 20 years then that's great too! :)

I saw a listing for a 58 Ford truck once, no pictures, drove out to look at it and it was a 78 Ford truck... in terrible shape no less, and they were insulted when I told them what it really was... :rolleyes:

10. Chrisbcritter

Chrisbcritter

"Ready to restore." (Yeah, or ready to scrap or ready to make into a planter - whatever, it's ready.)

11. Only $349.00 a month !!!

12. Carnuba

Carnuba
    BANNED

I saw one just like mine sell at Barret-Jackson for $$$$$$

13. bulletproof1

bulletproof1
    from tulsa okla

"original miles"... as appossed to aftermarket miles?

14. JD Miller

JD Miller

15. BEAR

BEAR

priced to move 28,000

or price dropped from 28,000 to 27,995

all original with a fresh motor

Last edited: Jun 6, 2012
  16. Big Time

Big Time
    from Missouri

She runs & drives like a new car, and has ICE COLD AIR, just needs to be installed.

17. fiftee6effie

fiftee6effie

Classic cars and trucks that are under 100,000 " original" miles.
    Ya right , the odometer reads 60,000 but it's been around twice!!

18. BEAR

BEAR

i this not an ad one but .. would you like to trade my 55 chevy 4 door post car for your olds .. but you will need to put 3000 on top ... for a damn fucked off 4 door chevy

dont offer something if the add says i dont have money to put on top .. and you want cash on top

19. stewdecky

stewdecky
    from Kansas

Really hate the " needs (insert part here) i have a new one just haven't had time to put it on".

If they put it on and it fixed the problem they were having wouldn't they get a better price? Also, what constitutes a "low ball" offer?? 50% or less?

20. "Here's a picture of what it COULD look like when done!", right next to the picture of the actual POS for sale...

"Easy restoration"...well, why the hell didn't YOU finish it first?

"Most of the parts are there"...how do you know?

"33K original miles"...are there artificial miles involved in this?

"One-owner"...up to three years ago, then it's been through seventeen flippers since.

"One-family owned"...handed down so that all thirteen family members could beat the batshit out of it, so now we'll sell it!

"Barn-find!"...found under the remains of a building that was ravaged in the recent EF-5 tornado.

"Could use paint"...Ol' Cletus took seven cans of barn primer to the truck to "restore" it, now it really looks like crap.

"Restored"...Looks nothing at all like the day it rolled off the factory floor.

"Rolls"...Doesn't stop, start, run, or much of anything else, though.

"I'd drive it anywhere tomorrow!"...Problem is, the damn thing won't start, stop, or run today. It rolls, however.

"Mint condition!"...You'll need to own a mint to get this damn thing to look like a car.

"Mechanic's dream!"...It's such a POS, all the mechanics I've taken it to say it gives them nightmares.

"Restore while you drive!"...You'll need a full tool kit, have AAA on speed dial, and a trunk full of spare parts, because you'll be repairing something every mile or so.

"Drives like a dream!"...You know, that dream where Christine is chasing down the fat punk in the alley, just before she crushes him into bite-sized pieces!

"XX,000 highway miles"...So, you've never left the Interstate with it, I gather!

"Oil changed every 3,000 miles"...Car uses a quart every 1,000 miles or so, so at the 3K point, I just add three quarts and go on down the road!

"Doesn't leak a drop!"...but it does spew fluids by the gallon, however.

"Doesn't smoke"...for the first half-mile, anyway.

"Gets 40 miles to the gallon!"...if you are going downhill. With the engine off. And it's a 35-mile downhill grade.

Oh, and my favorites..."Lost interest"...means "fixing this is far beyond my meager capabilities to do much more than remove and reinstall parts". The term "No time to finish"...means the above and I'm tired of moving this POS twice a year to mow the weeds around it.

21. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I dislike "See the USA in your Chevrolet" immensely....

22. Carnuba

Carnuba
    BANNED

I love when a car dealer says one owner. I say, yeah, one owner after another

23. SquireDon

SquireDon
    from Oregon

"Frame off Restoration" on a car that is Unibody.

24. BEAR

BEAR

Its about as period as you can get! IT HAS A 350 and th350
    LOL NOW THAT IS FUNNY I JUST SEEN THIS RIGHT NOW

25. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

"Worth $xx,xxx in restored condition"

"rare"

"body man's dream"

"rust free" "minor rust"

26. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

Sakes alive! (Sakes alive!)

Sakes alive! (Sakes alive!)

Only Mazda's got a truck for just $5795! (Sakes alive!)

27. TIN INDIAN MAN

TIN INDIAN MAN

No scammers and low ballers!!!!

28. Gromit

Gromit

Rare. Rare just means no one liked them then either.

29. 59Apachegail

59Apachegail
    from New York

I went looking for an OT truck when my daily got wrecked...
    I went to seven used lots and found seven trucks driven by old ladies to church. I didn't know there were that many old ladies that drove 4x4s with with 360's :) to church on Sundays!

30. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

"One like it sold for $50,000 on ebay."