Register now to get rid of these ads!

Cantilever rear coil overs

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Olustee Bus, Mar 31, 2013.

1. Olustee Bus

Olustee Bus

In an old Street Rodder, I saw a beautiful 32 roadster with the rear coil over shocks set up in a "cantilever" configuration. The cantilever came off the rear housing to coil over shocks at about a 45 degree angle. The article mentioned that it rode very nicely. Anyone know about that application.

I am interested in a heavier vehicle.

2. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

Cantilevers , Rockers, Bell-Cranks etc are an easy way to alter or dial in the correct suspension stiffness [ wheel rate ]
    Most Hotrods are over sprung because of weight reduction so using a cantilever would certainly alter the ride quality.

In Grand prix / Indy cars they used the cantilever / rockers in the opposite direction [ eg: 1" of suspension travel = 2" of shock travel ]
    The reason for this was shock absorber control.

A shock doesn't start working until the valve is "knocked off the seat" appox 60thou ,by altering the motion ratio this would equate to a lot less travel at the wheel.
    This would make quite a difference on a smooth high speed track.

If ride quality is your main objective, you would get the same results by carefully selecting the correct spring stiffness without having to "re-invent the wheel" in the suspension dept

I always consider the biggest mistake in Hotrod construction is the "wrong choice of springs"

3. Olustee Bus

Olustee Bus

Great response. Thanks. I guess I gotta study spring rates then.

4. Pops1532

Pops1532
    from Illinois

Cantilevers were popular in dirt late model racing in the late 80's - early 90's. Custom Chassis had their coil overs mounted horizontally. The most popular cantilever was CJ Rayburn's. Shouldn't be too difficult to find info on them.

5. Popular on early and probably late Indy cars.

Seems like I remember seeing a Roadster Lil' John Buttera built back in the 80's with this set up. HRP