Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Canted B Pillars and Glass

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Chop50, Mar 7, 2019.

1. Chop50

Chop50

Hi All,
    I am building a chopped 50 Tudor with canted B-pillars. I am now attempting to make glass patterns for the doors and struggling with a way of getting the glass follow up the slanted B-pillar.
    Any thoughts, tips, tricks on how to best do this? I know there are a lot of chopped shoebox fords with this setup.

Thanks, Steve

2. Cree

Cree
    from Montana

This is not what you are asking about but it's an easy solution: on my '51 Tudor with a 3-1/2" chop and angled pillars I just had rear of door windows cut at same angle as B-pillar. It rolled straight up and down as normal and fit well... just caution passengers to avoid slamming the door with the window halfway down as the glass is unsupported at rear. I ran it that way for 25 years with no breaks.

3. Chop50

Chop50

That's kind of what I have been trying to do, the arms that attach to the bottom of the glass channel move and it seems as though the glass will not ride up and down properly unless the glass has some contact with the rear glass channel(by B pillar). Am I missing something?..

4. BJR

BJR

You should have some straight glass riding in the back channel that you can't see, to guide the glass when the window is all the way up. At least the amount of the chop.

Pist-n-Broke and Hnstray like this.

5. alchemy

alchemy

Basically just chop the glass at the top back corner. Leave it long down inside the door, so you will have a few extra inches riding in the channel to keep it in place.

6. BJR and alchemy know what they are talking about. There's your correct answer.

drdave, Chavezk21 and F&J like this.
  7. Cree

Cree
    from Montana

Yes. And you may have to space outward the run channels inside the door due to roof being narrower. This may have effect on depth of the glass.

chopper99 likes this.
  8. alchemy

alchemy

Definitely check what Cree is talking about. If you tilted the posts toward the middle of the car any when bringing the top down, you will need to adjust the lower end of the channels. Stick a straight edge in there and make sure it's a straight run from top to bottom for that glass. And, if it's drastic (more chop = more angle) you might need to fiddle with the location the window winders are mounted. Their attachment points might need some shimming to put them in line with the newly angled window.

All this has nothing to do with whether you angled the B posts forward or not. It's just a chopping-the-top thing.

9. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

I don't have a dog in the fight, but can you add roll up glass to the side window after the B-pillar. It would have to go up something like on an early Mustang, go up at an angle then level off. Or does the glass have hinges and swing open from the back.

10. goldmountain

goldmountain

If you get tempered glass, you don't have to worry so much if someone slams the door.

11. Chop50

Chop50

Hmm, there is a bit to this. My avatar is the car I am referring to. There is a bit of spring to the regulators. This is a process...
    Thanks for the tips..working my way through this.

12. AChopped1950ford

AChopped1950ford

Nice looking shoebox you have.

13. Chop50

Chop50

Thanks, I have been building this car for a quite a while, at one point had the roof off and floors out all at the same time. Now has all new floor braces, Bradley floor pans, built new tunnel. Move the rear window a dozen or so times before settling on current location. Just got the driver side door window operating. Lot of fussy work.
    Currently has a flathead-6 with tri-power setup and split exhaust manifold being added.
    Your 50 looks great, like the 2-tone paint.