Register now to get rid of these ads!

Can't get rid of this exhaust leak!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gasoline Junkie, Feb 19, 2012.

1. hustler1984

hustler1984
    from lindsay ca

I have used the soft aluminum style exhaust gaskets seem to have worked for me. Can get them from the AZ for pretty cheap

2. hustler1984

hustler1984
    from lindsay ca

These may do the trick!

Attached Files:

3. Yup, although they come in gasket sets, I was told years ago not to use them. Any imprefections, carbon fills them in.

Bob

4. Can you see where the leak is? They should show up as whitish-gray streaks. To see if the manifolds are straight, you have to take them off and lay a good straight edge across them and look for spaces under it.

Bob

5. Gasoline Junkie

Gasoline Junkie

I guess hammers DO fix everything! haha

Everyone I've talked to at work says to stay away from metal gaskets, and to try and get the thickest set of fiber gaskets possible. Also, judging by the responses I really think the problem is in the manifolds, which will cost me a good chunk of what I would spend on the tubes i've been looking at. So...

6. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

I have Sandersons block huggers on my sbc '52 Chevy. No gaskets and no leaks. However, when it did develop a leak, it was where the tubes went into the collector. Pulled the header off, welded up the leak and reinstall without gaskets.

I had a bbc with Hedman Headers that leaked. Tried copper gaskets and that leaked too. Found some trim-to-fit individual biscuits at Earl's Performance Plumbing. Tried those and no leaks.

7. nova66

nova66

I had the same problem with my 350. The problem was a header gasket leak on both sides. Tried 3 different sets of gaskets plus some of the copper seal with no success. Finally fixed both sides with a set of Earls 29DD38 Pressure Master Header Seals and Gasket. You can get them at Jegs P/N 361-29DD38. Cost about $42 for the set.