Register now to get rid of these ads!

Can't get hood up

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bullnose52, Jul 29, 2012.

1. bullnose52

bullnose52

I posted this last night. Can't find post if it's still there sorry for same story X 2. I have a 48 CHEVY FLEETLINE street rod. The hood latch cable came unhooked from latch.:eek: Cant get hood up.:( Any ideas!

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I answered this morning. Make a tool out that you can reach in and catch the release with through the top slot in the grill. A piece of 3/16 rod or old skinny screwdriver bent in a 90 with about one inch or so on the other side of the 90 should work.

Remember you can click on your id over in the right hand corner where it says Welcome bullnose 52, click on see all stastics then click on all posts by bullnose52 and your posts will come up starting with the last one.
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=720814

3. TheEngineer

TheEngineer
    from New Mexico

Here's the two pictures of the hood latch that I took last night showing the top view of the latch in place (without the other stuff in the way) and the bottom view showing the cable tie (pointing at it with my thumb) that you need to push on. You can get a dentist style mirror on a stick at the parts house to look through the grill and see what you're doing (they come in handy a lot). With that and Mr48's tool, you should have it open in no time.

Attached Files:

4. The37Kid

The37Kid

This is what the HAMB is all about, TWO great answers one with photos. Welcome to the HAMB Bullnose. Bob

5. well, it's been an hour..... got that hood open yet?

6. Fenders

Fenders

One reason I hate cable release hoods... my last pickup (I recall it was an 87 Ford?) I studied the mechanism so I could reach up and release it with my hand, just in case.... My current 06 GMC I haven't figured out yet ...

7. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

Man i hate it when this happens . Got a corvair like that . (trunk lid)
    B.B.

8. afaulk

afaulk

Its nice to see people helping a new guy instead of busting his chops. Maybe it will start a trend. Hope ya got your hood open!

9. Flop

Flop

i do believe there is no access to any of that with all of the panels in place. my cable broke on my 47 last month . i tried to open it every way possible . 4 hours of every trick in the book. i had to put a wooden wedge veeery carefully between the grill and hood and cut the part that is inside the big spring and holds the hood down with a sawzall. chevs of the 40s sells a replacement. goood luck.

afaulk i think noones busting his balls because he didnt ask about rockabilly or the dreaded r r words

10. TheEngineer

TheEngineer
    from New Mexico

I dug out the panel that goes there and that is absolutely correct. There is no access to the latch from the bottom.

If you can get Flop's wedge to work (compress the spring and prop the hood open far enough to get in there), you could use Mr48's tool to get to it from the top in the hole pointed out.

To get into the hole, hit the cable tie and have enough meat to push it, you need about an inch after the bend in the tool. The hole will be about 5 to 6 inches in from the edge of the hood.

Attached Files:

11. DKcoupe

DKcoupe

12. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Thats as trick as shit! Way to help the guy out guys. Lippy