Register now to get rid of these ads!

Can't Find a 4 door ht Chop post

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Wasahawaiianrat, Feb 12, 2006.

1. Wasahawaiianrat

Wasahawaiianrat

Ok so i've seen 2 door post's chopped and turned into hard tops, well how come no one has 4 door post's chopped and hard topped? factory put out 4dr hardtops so can it be done? 1949-54 chevys? fords etc.........or do you have to be excessively drunk to do it?!

2. Wasahawaiianrat

Wasahawaiianrat

3. MonsterMaker

MonsterMaker

What do you mean?? Search man they are here.....

This is my 'ol Merc that =Mike= (Sacred Karts) swapped me for my Panhead.

Still wish I had this car.....f!%$#!'in bitch ex wife caused me to have to sell it....It now lives in Orange County somewhere.

Attached Files:

4. I did a post on this 51 Ford 4 dr about three weeks ago it was chopped 4" [but not a HT]..check my old posts......

Attached Files:

5. Hey RoadDevil...That green merc. has always been my favorite 4 door. You traded a panhead for it? had to pay the ex eh...sorry.

6. MonsterMaker

MonsterMaker

Yep....was my favorite car that I have ever owned.

If there was ever a possibility for me to get it back I would try to.

7. Wasahawaiianrat

Wasahawaiianrat

nah man i'm talkin about hardtop'n it! no post!

8. FatnLo

FatnLo

9. Eddiesixem

Eddiesixem

heres my 52 pontiac.............its a more door ......the doors are sealed up....theyre sealed up in this pic. thanks to photoshop for that to see how it looks........theyre in reality just tacked up right now ........
    [​IMG]

10. markanthony

markanthony

Here's another in progress... my 52 Chevy 4 door (and will remain a 4 door)... I just finished final fit and tacking a 50 ford windscreen into it and am re-working the mating of the door tops to the roof.

I've been sketching/mocking up a removable b pillar to be used when I need all 4 windows up.

11. Wasahawaiianrat

Wasahawaiianrat

Mark thats what im talkin about right there! so what are you gonna do to get the doors from sagging and keep the rest of the body solid?

12. markanthony

markanthony

You'd be/ I was surprised how it hasn't sagged. When I cut the roof and laid it down where I wanted it, it was necessary to remove the internal bracing on the roof and move it upwards and forward. I then took a piece of flat stock and ran it from 6" down in the front door jam, up along the top and down 6"into the rear door jam. After getting that all back together I welded everything nice and solid (even though ugly) making sure the roof wouldn't move. Everything lined up pretty well as far as fender/door gaps before and it still does after driving and working on it for the last couple years without bracing.

As far as the doors and keeping them from sagging, I needed to drive this car every day and didn't have the money for materials after the chop so I did a couple of tacks on the rear doors to keep them solid. Now... after removing the front seat, I'm going to use the uprights from the front seat and graft them from the floor forward and rearward of the B-post so the rear doors don't wiggle when opened.

As for the frame, I've toyed with the idea of making or buying an X-member for the frame similar to what chevy manufactured the Converts and Hard tops with but haven't yet. That being said when lifting the car for maintenance I've been looking for, but haven't seen much flex.

13. blacktopbutcher

blacktopbutcher
    from Rindge, NH

I will be posting pics shortly of a 1951 lincoln 4 door I just did a hardtop chop on. Still in progress.

14. Crankhole

Crankhole

MARKANTHONY, Car looks good. Please take some pics of your bracing of the door posts when you do it. I'd really like to see it.

15. markanthony

markanthony

16. Wasahawaiianrat

Wasahawaiianrat

Mark i'd really appreciate the pictures! i guess as long as you weld up the roof really good like you did then the sagging isn't bad. I've seen guys just tear off the roofs to make conv. and the shit just sags. But you've had yours for a couple years and no problems then dam no worries........

17. =mike=

=mike=

top 3 for me too :)

18. THECHICK

THECHICK

Oh sure- post them here so we have to see them just like everyone else. I wanna see them first!!! :D

19. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

I just cant stop looking at that car, I think that is awesome!

20. Wasahawaiianrat

Wasahawaiianrat

assholes jackin my post! JK btt

21. Wasahawaiianrat

Wasahawaiianrat

22. Wasahawaiianrat

Wasahawaiianrat

23. Wasahawaiianrat

Wasahawaiianrat

24. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

more doors fer ya.. not all chopped..but what the hell...:D

25. Killer

Killer

26. screwball

screwball

I have an ugley 53 plymouth all door and want to chop it next year with a carson top so any info on building more support on any car would be kool.

27. Wasahawaiianrat

Wasahawaiianrat

Hell yeah! thanks Killer!

28. markanthony

markanthony

No updates or pics wasahawaiianrat... helped a brother load up and get the heck out of California.

Maybe some late night sessions this week will get the work done.