Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Can't do it

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1low52, Apr 2, 2012.

1. 1low52

1low52

Well fellas I couldn't do it.
    I've tried to convince my buddy to build his 36 Chevy truck he's had since high school (40+years ) with an eye towards the traditional style. He's stuck in the streetrod scene and I can't sway him.
    Sooooo, being the best friend to him that I can requires me to help with the build, right? Or should I refuse on the grounds of his stupidity?
    He wants to do a frame swap!?!?!?
    He has access to a running, driving, 97 Chevy Astro van and would like to do a complete rolling chassis swap.
    I've done some searching on here and found lotsa info about the S-10 thing, but my questions for you guys are:
    1- Does the Astro van share any of the qualities with the S-10 frame that endear it so with builders?
    2- Has anyone heard of this swap being done and is it really an option?
    There's more questions but this is getting long winded.
    Thanks ahead of time for your patience with me in trying to be a good friend.

2. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

You already answered your own question...

3. specialk

specialk

IIRC, the benefit of the astro van platform is that it's a duplicate of the S10 (below the body)

4. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

OMG! That is NOT street rodding at all. Most full chassis swaps end up with the car being parted out and the chassis junked.

5. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

nothing wrong with a frame swap on a full fendered vehicle. be a friend and help him out. only an ass would refuse to help a friend on the grounds of not being the kind of build you'd do for yourself.

6. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

If he is a friend, whose friendship you value, it isn't your place to judge him or to try to make him be what we want him to be. Friends are just that, someone you like for who they are and who you will support regardless.

I wouldn't lose a friend over somethng as insignificant as a car.

Don

Last edited: Apr 2, 2012
  7. It could languish another 40 years or it could be on the road in 24 months.

Help your buddy build his truck. He obviously needs you.

JH

8. nutajunka

nutajunka

If I'm not mistaken those astro vans have a front sub-frame not a complete frame, and by the one's I have seen the steering box is at such an angle to where it would be perfect for a cab-over, but not a regular pick-up. Keep the stock frame if it's good.

9. someone correct me if I am wrong, but I thought an astro van has a front drop out subframe and was unibody. I'd love to see ya try that swap. ;-)

10. Armstrong

Armstrong

If he is a good friend, just help him make it as good as it can be within his vision of the finished product. There are a lot of us here who have a foot in both camps.

11. Jedidiah

Jedidiah
    from Ft Worth

Help your buddy out and lead him to the tasteful side of what he wants to accomplish. Even if it's not your style of build you can still help him build a truck that he will have fun with.

12. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

well said :cool:

13. cederholm

cederholm

Beat him until he see's the errors of his ways!!!!

14. gearheadbill

gearheadbill

I certainly agree with these guys. Real friends are hard to come by and who knows what will happen during the process. He may even change his mind.

15. Number 1, hell yes help him build his car. Ruined? In our opinion yes, but he's your buddy man. You just don't get very damned many of those in a lifetime.

Maybe this doesn't apply but I kind of live this way, treat me well and I'll treat you better treat me bad ans I'll treat you worse. Has he treated you well? then you owe him better.

I was talking to a fella with an astro the other day, there are not a lot of things that are the same between an astro and an S-10. That doesn't mean that the chassis won't work all you can do is get a tape measure and go after it. Maybe his original chassis will work with a couple of upgrades, perhaps he can sell the pieces of the astro that he doesn't need to make those upgrades.

just a thought.

16. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I'm thinking the same thing.

either way, if I had a friend who wanted to build such an abortion I would not help him.

17. 123

from Seattle

I would help him out but flip him shit and make fun of him the whole time...that's what friends are for!

18. My first thought involves a chair,duct tape and a phone book.
    But seriously, Be the friend to him, that you are.
    help him with it and don't tell him he's f'n it up, just state, that may not be the way you would do it.
    I made a great friend in my neighborhood,he has a 32 Hudson 5w.
    I told him just on saturday, if he tore out all the wiring that controled his 4l60e and megasquirt induction, he could probably get $350. in scrap copper and buy a t5 and carb.
    A lot of ribbing goes back and forth.
    It doesn't make him any less of a friend because how he built his car.
    You should have seen the grin on his face saturday during the first rip of the season.

P&B,Nice to see you back.

19. A true friend would tell your buddy what a dumbass he is.

20. Does this mean that we are friends? I just thought you were mad at me. :D

21. Sure!

22. Don't worry, you can't put an Astro van frame under anything - they don't have one. All Astro's were Unibody with a front subframe.

23. 37slantback

37slantback
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

And drink his beer.

24. Muttley

Muttley

Yep, and besides you dont want your name associated with a heinous creation like that do you?

25. mijito1963

mijito1963
    from houston tx

Hes a friend sooner or later he'll listen

26. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

You have to take him to a car show & show him the in & outs.

An Astro Vans chassis in NOT the same as a S10. The Astro stops after the trans, kindof like a camero.

27. chopd top

chopd top
    from Florida
    1. HAMB Relays

I wouldn't build it that way, BUT...be a friend and help him out! It's his truck and he should build it the way he wants even if it pisses everyone off, including you. S-10's aren't bad for a swap but a Dodge Dakota frame might be better, it doesn't have that kick-out toward the front of the frame. While you're being a friend and helping him build it, convince him to keep the old running gear, just in case. There is a social group here that covers many of the bumps he'll encounter along the way. Look it up, it's not too active, but it should help!

28. 1low52

1low52

Thanks Guys for all the input.
    I was just having some fun with my 'stupid' comment. He's a friend that I won't give up on regardless.
    He drove this truck north from Orlando in 1970 to VA with the original drivetrain.
    Hardcore!!!!

29. 1low52

1low52

You were correct ( nutajunka and bchrismer)
    I went by and crawled under the van to check it out and it is a front subframe/unibody.
    So problem solved on frame swap ( I hope ).
    Now to get back to work on him to go traditional. Any ideas?

30. CraigR

CraigR
    from California

Do whatever you can to convince him to keep the original frame - even if his taste's all in his mouth, help him out and if changes his mind he can switch the street roddy stuff for some good looking stuff later, but that gets tricky if he ditches a perfectly good original frame!