Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Can't afford a 32 3 window, make one.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hot Turkey, Jan 11, 2009.

1. Hot Turkey

Hot Turkey

$10,000!! Holy Crap!

2. HAHA every glass car i have ever worked on needed just as much time in the body work department as a decent steel car. Production glass cars a lot of the times are pulled from the molds early and twist. They still have to be gapped and fit and blocked out just like any other car. A shop I worked for years ago put a lot of Downs bodys on TCI frames i think i cut 90% of the floors out of them as they didnt fit for shit

3. Bobby Walden and his crew do some fine metal work. His work is top notch and if i didnt build my own stuff and could afford him he would be my go to guy for everything, plus he is a hell of a nice man.

By the way Turkey sweet lookin car I admire your dedication and I think i may have to snag your/dels rear axle bracket idea and put my twist on it for my 37 pickup

Last edited: Jul 2, 2009
  4. Hot Turkey

Hot Turkey

I went into this thinking the glass body would be easier and cheaper. Hundreds of hours later I have found that glass bodies take more time to get flat. I think that's why most I see are in primer or flat paint. I had to cut the sides out to get the door to fit, cut the floor to make it right and rework the windshield opening to fit a real frame in it. You don't want to know how hard it was to fit the body to the frame! I have learned a ton from this and next time I will go with a real body. Model A body!! Don't get me wrong, I'm having a blast.

5. Hot Turkey

Hot Turkey

Got the wheels on and had my drive shaft made. Cool huh?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 8, 2009
    kiwijeff likes this.
  6. Nice build! I'm also building a glass car. 29 Roadster. It's the most fun I've had in years. I'm going for the older early to mid 60's look, at least as I remember it. I don't give a rats ass if some people say it ain't a real hot rod if it ain't original steel. When we were driving and building cars in the 60's we would have been in seventh heaven to be able to get our hands on a glass body to build. It's not what you make it out of it's what you make of it. Keep up the good work, my next one WILL be a 32 3 window built in true "tradtional" style, but untill then my 29 is my pride and joy. I'm 61 years old and I'm not even close to being done with building hot rods!;)

7. Ain't a thing wrong with glass. Some of the meanest hot rods I've seen have been glass. A good glass repro body still displays the original styling concept that was designed years ago by Ford.

For me, the bottom line ... the essence of the '32 Ford is all about the styling. Being original steel is only an added benefit. A steel car is neat due to the historic relic aspect.

Hot Turkey, I'm keepin' up with your build ... I'm diggin' what you're doin'.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2009
  8. trad27

trad27

I like what your doing. I got to admit that i am a "if it aint steel, it aint real" guy, but after seeing your cars progress i think i might change my mind. looks damn good.

9. Hot Turkey

Hot Turkey

Thanks Trad! I think that's about the best complement I can get. Thanks to everyone for the encouragement. I can't wait to finish and drive the heck out of it!

10. Lookin great! I love the steel firewall...that would totally throw me off. I love '32's they just arn't big man(6'5" 300lbs.) friendly. I sat in a 3window my grandpa was looking at to buy, and had my knees in my face. He ended up with a '33 3 window instead, a little more room. A mildly stretched one would be perfect for me, but at $10,000 to do a chop, what would a good, hard to see what's been done 6" stretch cost?!

11. captain scarlet

captain scarlet
    from Detroit

Looking great:D

Keep the pictures coming:cool:

12. Hot Turkey ... your 3wd is looking good ... cool build thread ... thanks for keeping us updated on your progress!

Only 800? :confused: ... '32 Ford Deluxe Coupes are very rare ... but not that rare! (22,148 were produced).

13. As far as i know and the research i have done in the past the Murray bodies are different and are coach built and not just a general run of the mill 32 . here is a little info from coachbuilt.com

"Ford introduced a new line of commercial chassis in 1932. Now available with the new flathead V-8 and designated Model B or BB the new double drop chassis featured better springs, a new low-slung appearance and the possibility of substantially more power. Budd was selected to build the new 1932 Ford closed cabs, while Murray supplied the convertible cab, which was sold in very limited numbers."

14. Hot Turkey

Hot Turkey

Roadfarmer, one good thing about my glass body is that it's 4 inches bigger inside and I got the chop for free. I am 6' foot and have more than enough room inside. If you can put up with the itchy fiberglass, 4 grand is a cheaper alternative.

15. @baggedchevyss ... Just goes to so you that you can't believe everything you read on the Internet ... to my knowledge, Murray built all 22,148 (+/-) of the '32 Ford Deluxe (3wd) Coupe bodies.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2015
  16. carguy88

carguy88
    from Europe

looking good! Love the wheel and tire choice!

17. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

Those look awesome! Great detail!

18. Hot Turkey

Hot Turkey

Thanks! I have been too busy to work on it and its killing me!!! I have a lawn business and live in Florida. Come on Winter!!!!! I'm so close to the end now.....

19. Hot Turkey. Just found this thread tonight and wanted to chime in for a couple of reasons: First off, as everyone here agrees - Righteous rod dude! I think the devil is in the details, and I really like your plan and attitude. It's going to be a very cool ride judging by what you've shown us so far. Kinda cool too, that you've got help when you need it with Del and Shelby around! Secondly, I wanted to say how much I appreciate your getting your dream done whatever way necessary. I too had to deal with keeping costs down by using a fiberglass body (there, I've admitted it), to get a 50 year dream on the road. It was the only way it was ever going to happen given the cost of steel and our lower dollar value. I was after an early '60s look (much like the model cars I built as a kid), so I wanted shiney paint and plated parts adding to the cost dillema...

Thanks to everyone on this thread for supporting a dream - no matter what material is used to get there.

Attached Files:

20. Hot Turkey

Hot Turkey

Wow! nice car rodncustomdreams! Thanks for the kind words.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2009
  21. striper

striper

Like everyone has said "Good Job" and great attitude.

One thing has been bothering me since I first read this thread earlier today. Welding the steering box into the frame. That doesn't seem like a good thing for a number of reasons. What is the thinking with that?

Pete

22. Hot Turkey

Hot Turkey

Striper, it's not a good idea. I did it because I moved the box forward so far that the three mounting holes where no longer going to line up or fit inside the frame. So I ground off three points to fit the box inside the rail and reboxed it. I did this so I could drop the angle of the steering wheel to my liking. If there is ever a problem with the box, I can still replace the sector and bushings I just have to jack the front of the car up three feet to pull out the steering shaft. This is my first build and have learned a ton from it. I would have been finished with this build a year ago if I didnt make so many of these changes, oh well. I'm havine fun.

23. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I really like your build. As for the dicks that get involved in the plastic versus steel bullshit, I built my first 32 roadster out of a Speedy Bill jigsaw puzzle nearly 40 years ago and had more fun with it than the dam high zoot steel cars I am building today. If it wasn't for glass there wouldn't be the people involved in the hobby that there are today. I have had a chassis shop for almost 30 years and wouldn't have done what I've done without glass. Your car is looking great and will be lots of fun for you and your family. Getter Done!

24. WhiteDevil

WhiteDevil
    from Wichita KS

Looking good!!!!!! Really moving along!

25. cool your project,,i'm for the steel body but the 3w is another planet and not for all,,i go for a 32 3w i will go for the same choice,,have fun!

26. Hot Turkey

Hot Turkey

Called up some of my buddies today and got the body on the frame. That damn body gets heavier each time we move it! Full of wood now. I'm sure glad to have such great friends tIhat will stop what they are doing and help me out.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 4, 2009
  27. WhiteDevil

WhiteDevil
    from Wichita KS

What a good feeling to get it on the frame!

28. truckerdaddy66

truckerdaddy66

Thats one nice frame,if you need a steering arm for you 52 pu box a 2n ,9n ford tractor steering parts will work. I'm a real poorboy hotrodder.

Looking good, Truckerdaddy66,New Caney ,Tx.

29. Hot Turkey

Hot Turkey

I hope this is the last time I need to mock up. Need to cut a hole for the shifter, put the drive train in one more time and mount the shocks at full weight. She is sitting high in the back so I will play with the rear spring and see if I can get her down a few inches.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 4, 2009
  30. FlynBrian

FlynBrian