Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Cannon Ball Run - Hot Rods Only!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fiftyv8, Jul 6, 2009.

1. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

clueless...

Oh man I should have said " wood you believe it" or "i wont lie", must be getting old, thanks Jay..

Last edited: Jul 9, 2009
  2. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

This will happen but it will go private and not be pubicised.
    If you are contacted then you know it is on and you would have been invited.
    I am not involved but I have heard the word from a fairly reliable source.
    They are just trying to tie up a few loose ends to make it workable, safe as can be and decide from there if it will proceed.
    So I am going to sign off this thread now so I/we/us are not implicated in the real thing.
    I will stick to dreamin!

3. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

PS: I was really surprised by the lack of Kiwi interest in this possible event, since Kiwi's are usually such awesome competitors.

4. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

[​IMG]

5. motorhead711

motorhead711

I would dig being part of something like that. Yep, and fill the car up with an entire Flat of beer and 1 bag of chips like terry bradshaw and mel tillis did in the movie!!!

Last edited: Jul 17, 2009
  6. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

No point shaking the champagne until you are over the finish line....

7. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

I guess I don't see where it matters if it gets the HAMB seal of approval, as long as it gets the participants. I doubt that an event like this would get any seal of approval!

I do know this- if it happened, There is no way that I would not participate! If a person is half-way smart safety wise, the worst thing that would happen is a ticket, ot night in jail. I doubt if most on this board haven't allready experienced at least one of those, if not both.

I say, make it happen! In the spring, cuz I don't think I can be ready in the fall.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2009
  8. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

i do know this... WHEN it happens, it'll be by invite only. . . stay tuned

9. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

I am Sgt. Shultz. ;)

10. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Well then, I'll just hope for an invite!

11. BettyBlue

BettyBlue

hey I should be back and ready for action by the time this happens! Please let this guy know, I have so much leave I need to use and Mizz Moonshine is looking forward to a trip with her new makeover when I get back!

12. Steve-Cook

Steve-Cook
    from Garner, NC

Maybe you could start in Wilminton NC at Sakowski Motors he is a member on the HAMB.
    Then you could race to Barstow CA I do not know of any location there but it is the town where Robert E Peterson when to High School and there is a sign on each end of I-40 with the distance to each coast and I could watch as you zoom by :D.

Attached Files:

13. Guys, remember that during the days of the Cannonball Run, the national speed limit was 55 mph, so going 80 then was almost like flying across the country! Now, most States have 65 to 75 mph limits on the Interstates and most divided US and State highways, so keeping a steady 80+ pace across the country would not attract significant attention, I believe...so long as the participants drove with due diligence and stayed relatively low-key. Yeah, I know...hard to be low-key in a hot rod. Common sense, and filtering of potential participants, will allow an event like this to go off with relative ease.

Sounds like FUN! And, it's time to have some FUN, before everything FUN in this country becomes a damn felony!

14. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

sorry man but putting everyone right there on 40 is BORING, and it wouldn't be a Cannonball.

15. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

think they still have one,,anything can enter

16. There is also the One Lap Around America that is sponsored by Car & Driver. It replaced the old Cannonball Run, whose name belongs to someone else these days.

17. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Not even close to the same thing...

18. BCR

BCR

Pre 64 engine?(no 350 396,454 Chevys or 440 383 340 Mopar or 351 428 429 460 Ford)

Pre 64 trans? (no aod's or 5 speeds)

No electronics?

Disk brakes?

What kind of cars?? (Cobra, Corvette? pre 1964 but???)

Invitation only. I guess it would be up to the person doing the inviting as to what cars show up and trusting the guy not to bring a non qualified car.

19. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Well, I guess all we need is someone to step up, and send invites!

20. just let me know when it get's closer! cheers

21. Start at Atlantic City, NJ and end at Pacific City, OR. You'll go right past my house!

22. repoguy

repoguy

Well, considering that most of todays "hot rodders" are a bunch of old dudes who hate street racing, and are completely unconcerned with things such as "speed" and/or "high performance", and are much more concerned with hoarding vintage speed parts to hang up in the garage and brag about, and sitting around at car shows talking about the good old days, I'd say it would be the slowest cannonball run ever!

One time I posted a question here in a thread (dealing with slow hot rods) about "what happened to the high performance aspect of hot-rodding?" and was told that I should go join a tuner board, because I didn't get it.

23. torchmann

torchmann
    BANNED
    from Omaha, Ne

The dumbasses wern't so thick and heavy in the road in the day. Nowadays almost anyone unemployable has a car.

24. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Ok, so what does someone making a statement to you in another thread "one time" have to do with this thread? Having a bad day are ya?

25. RacerRick

RacerRick

Hey denise! Why not get some of the GMB's and others around the area and make a Detroit to Vegas fun run!

Put cookies up as the prize and I bet you would have a ton of cars!

26. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Yeah right:rolleyes: Name a handfull that actually leave the state driving their cars let alone across half the country.

27. Could do a follow the Auto Industry, Detroit to Mexico run.

28. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

ooh ooh, calling them out in public. Glad they have you to take up their slack...

lmao, now that's funny...

30. monsterflake

monsterflake

[​IMG]