Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Cannon Ball Run - Hot Rods Only!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fiftyv8, Jul 6, 2009.

1. ST. 515

ST. 515
    from TEXAS

Last edited: Jul 7, 2009
  2. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Sure does not take much to get you guys enthusiastic about this.
    I can not believe where this could be headed.
    Certainly be historical event for hot rodding.
    Certainly prove what combination would work in a hot rod project.

I bet the I beam axles and flathead combination would go the distance and pace anything else that comes along.
    I know a cadillac flathead out there that would surprise folks.

3. When I was kid, my family would drive every summer '52 till about '57 from <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com[​IMG]L.A.</st1:City> to <st1:State w:st="on"><ST1:pFla.</ST1:p</st1:State> or Virginia in an old '50 Chevy Fleetline, father would throw an extra spare tire and his tools in the trunk and a case of Nezbitts Orange on the floorboard and we were off...:eek:
    Makes me feel like a puss to be nervous about taking my precious wagon across town.. :mad:
    <O:pThis sounds like the number 1 position on that bucket list.. or a least some kind of vision quest.:D:D<O:p

4. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

I would say this would definitely not be an "official" HAMB event. Hell I don't even know what you guys are talking about. ;)

5. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Nothing official about this, we are just bench racing for now.
    Boy it has to be more on topic, than some of the stuff that gets on here and who is hurting any way.

6. "A" Tub

"A" Tub

Denise, The Cinci boys could be in if this actually happened....

7. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Id say the purse size would dictate the interest.

8. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

It's not about the money, never was, you get cookies and bragging rights...

9. Wow it's amazing what some beer bubbles can produce. I can smell the testosterone and progesterone from my monitor. If you don't have an entry fee you won't be able to keep the start time a secret. The fees could go to our favorite charity. Non participants could also back their favorites and share in the winner's glory. They could also form a net nationwide for pit stops & repairs. It could really unite us all.......or it could also screw us all if something bad happens. The other Cannonball Runs were a small group of individuals. We're a national band of renegade hot roders.
    This is just the kind of thing the media would love to denounce even if successful. It will make a mockery of law enforcement and their future tolerance of us will be less if we do pull it off.
    Nancy

10. BenD

BenD
    Alliance Member

EXACTLY. Now get back to working on your car.

11. kraka138

kraka138

id love just to drive it...i wouldnt eve care if i came close to winning.....but id have to start work on the rod

12. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

you're not feeling it here dude... something like this would NEVER, EVER in a MILLION years get the official HAMB seal of approval. period. now, back to your "bench racing"

13. NoSurf

NoSurf

Is it just me or when "money" changes hands- Big Brother can come sniffin' around real quick. I say no cash involved.

14. Dr.Theo

Dr.Theo

it seems to me that some states have made going over 100 or double the speed limit a felony, minnesota i belive is one of them

dont take this for gospel but i think it is what i heard

15. Bullrack

Bullrack
    from Louisiana

Todays technology would be a huge damper to this actually being pulled off. I mean, I've had state police pull me over because someone on a cell phone called in that I was seen at a high rate of speed. The person called in, state police scrambled a plane, and marked me running over 90mph with a full load of cattle. I was not speeding when the car stopped me, but they claimed that they clocked my mph from the air on the stupid white lines painted on the shoulders of the interstate. The officer had the worst attitude too when I asked if painting my license number on top of the sleeper would help to speed the ticketing process up because I'm in a hurry.

I would be up for this trek if it gets organized. There are some older cowhaulers that have done this before. I think the last time was around '85 and a couple got into some deep !@#$. I guess because because of all the federal laws that trucks fall under. I would run with my 13yo son in his '31 A coupe with Desoto Hemi. Bring it on!

16. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

How would a reverse cannon ball run be accepted starting in LA for coffee and heading on over to NY as the last pit stop.

Just dream'in again!

Last edited: Jul 8, 2009
  17. brewsir

brewsir

Quit being such a Nancy Nancy.....sorry couldn't help myself. You act like there will be a thousand hot rodders screaming across America at 100+ MPH....really? I think more like a dozen would actually show up and the speeds wouldn't be much more than what I do on vacation (you ever drive I80 across America? You better be doing 85 or you're getting passed all day long (at least in the Western states) with a few bursts of real speed in the wide open stretches. Ever seen The Horse magazine? They do a run called the stampede that goes from Arizona to North Carolina (I think) balls out on hardtail bikes...no different than what is proposed here.

18. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Time will tell if this gets off the ground.

19. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

With a trunk full of rear axles? ;)

Last edited: Jul 9, 2009
  20. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

I am surprised which States are showing the most interest in this event!

21. 454_4_ON_THE_FLOOR

454_4_ON_THE_FLOOR
    from Selden, TX

I have the book about the original cannonball race, its pretty awesome. I've always wished they still did it like the original.

22. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Ain't that the truth! :rolleyes:

23. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

This has got a life of it's own now!

24. RacerRick

RacerRick

What about doing it from each coast to a central location....like the HAMB drags? Just make sure the starting lines are about the same distance away from the hotel in Joplin!

25. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

I thought something similar, but in true tradition the comments we have had so far all like the idea of a full on traditional cannon ball style run.
    Not unreasonable considering this would allegedly be a history making event for hot rodding.

26. greyone

greyone

If everyone had left at the same time as the first post you would all have been there by now!

27. Kustm52

Kustm52

Let's see, here to NY 1006 miles, NY to CA 2863, then CA to home 2080 miles. Lot of driving for one week....:D

Brian

28. 32csr

32csr
    from cincinnati

A-Tub and Denise......Another Cincy guy here and ready to roll if and when this happens....we live for cross country roadster trips....come on come on come on....

29. rc.grimes

rc.grimes
    from Edmond, OK

I say leave the prize as bragging rights and cookies. Offering money will create problems. Plus if there is no tangible "prize" we're all just going for a little scenic roadtrip as far as anyone is concerned.

30. gippetto

gippetto

This would be a Belly-Flop, not a Cannon Ball.