Register now to get rid of these ads!

Candy Red?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sash, Feb 20, 2008.

1. Sash

Sash

I'm looking to paint this color for my next project...Any ideas 2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 31, 2023
  2. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"Any ideas" about what ??? What the name of the color is? Where to buy it? How to apply it? What do you want to know???????????

3. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:
    This one needs to be closed early :D
    I do like the gold wheels though..
    Dave:cool:

4. LANCE-SPEED

LANCE-SPEED

looks like candy red over gold base. are you runnin the 13" gode spokes on it as well???????????????????:rolleyes:

5. Sash

Sash

I'm trying to see what colors you think the car is painted....I'm leaning towards candy red over galaxy grey or possibly candy brandywine over galaxy grey (but it looks to light to be brandywine). Has anyone ever painted/seen candy red over grey?.....'ve never painted or seen it/painted. How does it looked compared to brandwine over grey?

6. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Uhh... I like this car:
    [​IMG]

Malcolm

7. HotRodPaint.com

HotRodPaint.com

My personal favorite color.

You will have better luck using a metallic red basecoat. That is what Chrysler uses on their factory candies. It will make it easier to get even color. Also shoot several thin coats, paying close attention to your spray pattern. The idea is to get the thickness the same every where. If you shoot extra coats anywhere, like around door jams, the color will be darker. Paint all of the jams first, then mask them off, and start over with the basecoat on the outside.

Here is a Picture of Brandywine over gray base.

If you want to see the colors over different bases, visit a House of Kolor paint dealer, and look at their paint charts. (color chips will appear darker when they are surrounded with white, than they will on the car.)

Attached Files:

8. ROCKET303

ROCKET303

~ iT DEPENDS A LOT ON THE cAR...OOPS....I's that the Car OR just a sample of the color you are thinking about?? If it's not your car, post your car and have someone photoshop it. I have seen Candy over a silver base comes out brighter an Candy over gold , comes out darker.

9. looks like its about to fart!

10. ROCKET303

ROCKET303

Awww, That's a little ruff !

11. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

You have to realize one thing...a Candy paint job almost never comes out in a photo, the way it looks in real life. Due to the extra reflectiveness of the transparent color coats, the light makes it look lighter or darker, even the hue changes...i.e candy red may look burgundy, bright red, even purplish in photos.
    also the more coats of candy over the base, the darker it gets. This can fool you into thinking the color is over dark base, like grey, when it's really a lot of coats over silver. If a guy is getting "in trouble" with uneven coverage with a candy job, it's very common for him to put on a LOT of coats to cover this up. Hence, a lot of dark candy paint jobs out there.
    To me it looks like a lot of coats of red, over a gold base.
    Look at color charts, and do sprayouts before locking in your color!

12. Wicked Tin

Wicked Tin

Thats what I was thinking also...ppfffffffffaaaaaaaarrrrrrrttttt!

13. brandon

brandon

nothing sweeter than candy apple red.... i used a 06 / 07 corvette tri coat red like this....out in the sun it was sweet....you could work on the red base and add some of the prizmatic flakes and pearls and really end up with a cool color that wouldn't be too bad to spray...a maroon or red metallic base would help with the streaking and blotches.....also something to think about ....touch ups are a bitch....... brandon:D

14. Durod

Durod
    from DFW, Tx

candy apple red and candy brandywine go down as two of the greatest candies to paint a custom automobile in my opinion...gold base, silver base, grey, whatever.....it all looks amazing in person under full lighting, shade, whatever....amazing. IMO.

flaco

15. lostn51

lostn51
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Tennessee

PPG and Valspar has a new candy system out now and it is sooooo easy to shoot!!! its a base coat system that doesnt "die" on you like a conventional candy will. you lay the typical silver or gold base down then you nail it with the translucent bases throw the clear on and your good. im going to use the system on my 49 and the nice part of it is they say you can paint it by panels if you want like the color shifts.

16. Tony

Tony

I painted my old Harley H.O.K Candy Wineberry over gold base and it looked VERY similar to the color of the 65 you posted..
    I think i layed 5 coat's of candy over the gold (it was a while ago so i can't really remember now)...
    It was a very rich color and really popped in the sunlight.. Even at night, it still looked very rich in color, but under the light's the gold base olmost gave it a pearl look.....
    WILD color, but god damn expensive and that was 15 years ago or so..
    I never did get a picture of it before i sold it...

Tony

17. speedtool

speedtool
    BANNED

Gorgeous color!

18. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

That color is nice!

19. This is candy wineberry over a silver base with just a hint of blue pearl. Radiance II, and it is VERY durable. This was done in 1988.....

Attached Files:

20. BOBBY FORD

BOBBY FORD

Candy Apple Scarlet is really nice. It is made by Metalflake Paint Company. Thats the brand name. It is not to be confused with metalflake paint. Check it out. several years ago people were trying to find a paint to match some of the candy red motorcycle helmets. This was that match. Thanks, BOBBY FORD

21. Sash

Sash

Tony you said HOK Candy Wineberry, I thought PPG makes Wineberry and HOK makes Brandywine...Anyway, what gold did you use as your base? Whats the best gold to use? I'm looking for a gold with alot of flake, and a lot of depth.....

22. Lil' Toot

Lil' Toot
    from Tulsa, OK

If you want a lot of bling, try HoK's Metajuls Gold base. Basically looks like metalflake right out of the can. More metallic than any other base I've seen. Of course, you can always throw down some flake. Lay on some silver or gold flake and kandy over it and it will turn the kolor of you kandy, or find a flake color that's close to the kandy color and lay it on top. If you don't like the grainy look of flake when it's not twinklin, they've got a new translucent flake that twinkles in the light, but can hardly be seen in the "dead light". If your not an experience painter (if your shooting yourself) or just want something that is a little easier to shoot and touch up, try HoK's KBC Kandy Basecoat line. It's Kandy with just a little pearl mixed in. It makes it easier to shoot in that it doesn't streak or tiger stripe like conventional kandies do, touch ups are easier, doesn't require a catalyst like the UK line does, and since it has its own pearl/metallic, doesn't have to be shot over a metallic base. However, it is still transparent, so it does make a difference when shot over a metallic base. Metallic or not, an even consistent base is essential to a good kandy. If you couldn't clear and send the base coat out the door, then it isn't going to be worth a damn under a kandy.

23. Aman

Aman
    from Texas

I like this one.

Attached Files:

24. narducci

narducci

There is a stock 2004 Toyota color that is a metallic red that I painted my bikein the avatar . Dont remember the name though. Check the toyota colors

25. narducci

narducci

heres a better pic

26. Tony

Tony

Sash, it was a long time ago when i painted my bike so i can't remember the detail's, but i was pretty sure it was HOK. The paint supply store i bought it from carried HOK as thier custom line...HOWEVER, they did handle PPG as well...i honestly though it said HOK on the can's though..
    As far as the gold, again, can't remember the exact details, but it was BRIGHT, high metallic gold ( not flake, just fine met). That i do remember because it was actually a pretty gaudy color...olmost to bright to ever use as a normal top coat. The depth seemed to come from the amount of candy applied over the gold base..the more coat's i put on the deeper, more rich it looked.
    I remember looking at paint chip's with the wineberry top coat, and different base color's undernieth. The one i liked was the traditional gold base. It was one of the color's that was offered through the company that made the top coat..as i said, i thought it was HOK, but being so long ago it could have been PPG just the same..
    Sorry i don't have any good detail's for you.
    But i do remember it was called wineberry, and it really looked nice..

Tony

27. Roadrat

Roadrat

Heard of this somewhere...If you're not sure of what you want---Spray different combos on light bulbs. The smooth glass and it being round will tell you exactly what it will look like on your car. Cheaper and if you're careful you could create a collection of different bulbs.

Roadrat

28. metalman

metalman

A few years ago a HOK factory rep told me how to make candy red really pop, I tried it and it did. Use a bright pink as a base with lots of pearl. It doesn't have the flake look but it was the most eye searing red I've seen. It was fun to show the owner his car before the candy was on, he was not happy with a pink car!

29. metalman

metalman

One other thing to keep in mind, all candy red dyes have very poor lightfastness, they will fade really fast. If the car will be garaged most the time it's not to big a problem but if it sits in the sun all day it is. HOK urathane candy holds up the best, intensafier in clear basecoat the worse (I had one completely fade to the base in a year). Use a GOOD clear with lots of UV inhibators.