Register now to get rid of these ads!

CANDY FLAKE AND TAPE

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MobCars306, May 14, 2020.

1. MobCars306

MobCars306

I have painted many of cars now.
    But I haven't got to enjoy a project to customize yet, so the time has finally come on my 63 Nova Wagon.

I have a couple questions.

My plan is... Bodywork. (Almost done) White primer,
    (Maybe silver sealer from HOK idk)
    And then bury this in flake.
    a 50/50 flake mix.
    Not too sure which two sizes of flake yet, or what the best flake to use is yet.
    I'm assuming I'd put plain base over the flake when I'm done the flake coats.
    Can I tape over flake if I dont? Or would it be better to use a clear base coat overtop for tapeing?!? Idk.

Once I have the flake down. I can start laying down my tape and paint.

My paint question is
    does it have to be candy paint.
    Because I found the color I want, and it's a HOK solid graphic paint.
    Not a candy.
    I was thinking of mixing a little konsetrate in with my solid graphic color as well. Trying to make the color I want exactly. And I think a blend of the two will be perfect.

But .. I dont know if the solid base will bury the flake. Or if I have to use Kandy ‍♂️.
    Also not sure what flake to use.
    Or if I even have to bother with white base coat if I bury it in flake.
    Because I already have black basecoat. Do I even need to buy white or silver?
    im worried because I want to put a super light color overtop of the flake.

Im just after that really nice flake with all the tapeing and art im going to be putting all over this thing and have never done the flake before.

Any advice would be appreciated.
    I think I'm on the right track.

2. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

If you go over the flake with regular paint, you will cover it up in 1 or 2 coats, you have to use candy over flake because it is transparent

Kan Kustom and JUSTIN PERSINGER like this.
  3. You put a base colour down first. The colour of your base will determine what your flake will look like over it. If you are using a BC/CC system you would need a clear over the basecoat before you apply flake guys often use intercoat clear here as it has less body and will help keep film build down. Then you spray your flake over that, again usually in an intercoat clear. Next bury the flake in regular clear. If your are doing one colour over the whole thing then you can just mix your candy into the clear but if are taping off a pattern then you need to use regular clear over the entire thing until you have buried all the flake then you can tape off what you want and use candy mixed into the next coats of clear to go over the sections you want colour on. Never spray base on top of clear.

Read this:
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...e-flake-candies-patterns-custom-paint.801167/

Max Gearhead and Moriarity like this.