Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures CANDY CLARK'S "AMERICAN GRAFFITI STORY"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jonnie King, May 31, 2018.

1. Roger O'Dell

Roger O'Dell

Don’t know what could’ve happened, Bo, and/or any of the other people from the movie , have always been great to me and anyone coming to their table. I’m friends with an acquaintance of Candys. And usually spend a little time talking to her, but get out of the way when people approach, then return when the coast is clear. Again Candy , Cindy, Paul , Bo , hope I didn’t miss a name ARE GREAT WITH PEOPLE..

chryslerfan55 and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  2. Lou kriger

Lou kriger

3. Lou kriger

Lou kriger

Must have been an off day for Bo. I got to talk to him @ a KKOA Show at Lancaster O. He was a pleasure to talk to and not at all arrogant. Loves Merc’s.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

mercman@bulldog...

Always a voice that was unmistakable anytime you heard it ! After "AG" his work on Burt Sugarman's "Midnight Special" was just perfect for a national audience...and you can find it now on DVD's, and some Internet Sites ! A true testiment to his lasting legacy. And, when he & I talked before he passed-away, "AG" was always one of his fondest memories.
    http://www.legends.thewwbc.net/gpage116.html

Jonnie
    www.legends.thewwbc.net

5. Funny the five window deuce I built in the 60's and sold back in the early 70's was painted yellow a short time after it was sold to a friend who still has it. Old Pics Hot Rods 002.jpg

6. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

Ric...

WoW ! How fun it would have been to be there for that ! Times change...and, sometimes not for the better. If we forget our "roots", we often forget our original purpose for starting what we did...no matter what it is.

Thanks for that story...

Jonnie
    www.legends.thewwbc.net

7. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

8. .....................We tend to forget that most of these actors were young and just learning their craft when they appeared in AG. Except of course for Ron Howard who was essentially acting from birth!:D;)

9. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

Don...

You're right about Ron Howard. I have a friend who still calls him "Opie" !

Jonnie
    www.legends.thewwbc.net

10. chryslerfan55 likes this.
  11. joe1932

joe1932
    from NY

The story I heard, Harrison Ford was a carpenter on the set. and was offered the part. Joe

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  12. As I understand it, Harrison was living in LA and couldn't get work. He read a want ad in the paper that Sergio Mendez (of Brazil 66 fame) wanted some remodeling done on his home so Ford applied for and got the job. He knew NOTHING about construction so was reading books on carpentry as he built the addition. Other celebs saw his work which they say ended up being superior quality and he got other contracts to do remodeling. He was working for George Lucas when George needed a Falfa and asked Harrison to come to the set and shoot the role. He took the role on the condition he wouldn't have to cut his hair to a flattop required by the script. That is why he wore the cowboy hat. He was known as 'Carpenter to the Stars'

Think of this; the radio in Milner's coupe is kinda not authentic. 1962 was before cassettes (came out in '66). 1962 was before 8-track tape machines (came out in '64). 1962 was before transistor radios were common, let alone available on the aftermarket. Milner would have had to adapt a junk yard radio from some Detroit iron (expensive options in cars of the day).

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  13. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

Hey ! That's even better ! I just noticed that...and it's cool because they don't make 'em any more !!!

Jonnie
    www.legends.thewwbc.net

lothiandon1940 and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  14. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

willys36...

Much of what you stated is true. But, as Paul Le Mat told me in our Interiews, it was Fred Roos who was the Casting Director for Lucas on "American Graffiti".

Roos was the one who spotted Harrison Ford and got him the Audition with Lucas for the role of Bob Falfa, which he got. Then his "bonding" so well with Lucas led Ford to "Star Wars" and the rest of his fantastic career.

BTW: Fred Roos also tied-in with Frances Ford Coppola as Producer...and won the Academy Award for Producing "The Godfather Part II".

Again, thanks so much for your Info ! It all adds to the importance of Lucas/Coppola/Roos/Ford all having a GREAT blending & long-run together which spun-off of "American Graffiti" ! http://www.legends.thewwbc.net/gpage116.html

Special Note: Here's a little info that I'll share with all of you. Fred Roos was also the Casting Director for "Two -Lane Blacktop".Most of you are familiar with that film...and how it starts in California, and runs on Route 66...racing, going East.

Well, I was Music Director & Air Personality at KAAY in Little Rock at the time they were shooting the film and they came through Arkansas on the way to Memphis. I met many in the cast and Dennis Wilson of the Beach Boys, along with his brother, Carl were in town, so the Capital Records rep made sure they got in touch with me for Interviews.

They were both just great...and the Interviews went even better when I told them I had lived in Pasadena & Hollywood when they first started and had seen the Beach Boys at venues in the L.A. Area.

SO, yes, movies, cars, and, music...ALL are a synergistic catalyst for the world all of us Gearheads inhabit. And, some unsung heroes, like Fred Roos, are sometimes the ones who help give us the cool memories that are on film, on the street, and, on the radio.

Jonnie
    www.legends.thewwbc.net

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
    clem, chubbie, willys36 and 3 others like this.
  15. ........................Great line right there, Jonnie, and so very true....Don.:)

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  16. redidbull

redidbull
    from Ct

I wish I was there for that! Most car show don't allow burnouts anymore. Insurance and lawyers got involved I guess. Jim

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  17. hotrod428

hotrod428

A couple years back Bo Hopkins and Candy Clark were at Back to The Fifties. I was standing in line waiting to piss in a trough and I turn around and Bo Hopkins is behind me. I said hi and he said something about the weather and I went on with my business. He seemed like an OK guy.

18. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

Candy Is A Excellent Person And I Told Her She Made The Movie Even Better For Which I Received A Hug... LARS 2015(2) 079.JPG

19. clem

clem

I guess everyone has a bad day/ moment, sometimes .

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  20. philo426

philo426

Pretty good gig for her,acted in an iconic movie and she knows most people will be excited to see and talk to her.Win win,plus she gets paid for having a good time!

LOU WELLS and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  21. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

Lou...

Nice photo ! Nicer story ! Candy is genuine...through & through ! And one of my favorite parts of this Interview was finding out just what kind of hair was used in the blonde wig she wore ! http://www.legends.thewwbc.net/gpage116.html

Jonnie
    www.legends.thewwbc.net

22. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

The Wig Looks Like "Cotton Candy"....Just Like 1962....Thanks...

23. Roadsterholic

Roadsterholic

Kim_01.jpg Candy Candy Clark is great! here is my Wife with Candy.

24. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

25. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

Which one is your wife, they both look like "movie stars".

26. You’re half right, Harrison Ford was working as a carpenter on the set of Star Wars when they offered him the part of Han Solo.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

27. Lou kriger

Lou kriger

X2

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  28. Lou kriger

Lou kriger

Lucky guy!

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

Bowtie Coupe likes this.