Register now to get rid of these ads!

candian pontiac (s.b.c.) question...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by thirtytwo, Mar 14, 2010.

1. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

i have been kinda looking for some chevy valve covers with the pontiac script for the chevy ...what years were those used? and how hard are they to find?

2. A Hamber from Oz has been looking for years.... I have never seen a pair. I did come across a pair that had Pontiac in block letters on a transfer style decal on them. Gave them to a buddy with an Acadian.

3. Mark H

Mark H
    from Scotland

I had a '63 Parisienne many years ago.Just plain painted steel valve covers on the 283.

4. Deuces

Deuces

Try looking into some hotrod parts stores in Ca. They might come up with something for ya.

5. the 50's ones had em,all the ones i"ve seen had the early staggered bolt pattern too.hope this helps!

6. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

I currently has a 63 Parissience. Painted steel valve covers.

[​IMG]

7. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

When I worked in a Mobil station in the early '80s, a '65 or '66 canadian Pontiac pulled in with a 327 with PONTIAC embossed valve covers.

8. Probably looking at 55-57 and then 65-?? as mentioned above. Pontiac's own US valve covers are plain after '56 or '57.

9. TomP64

TomP64
    from Vancouver

I haven't ever seen any that weren't the staggered early bolt pattern. The 55-57's had them and i suspect 58 and 59 too but after that i think they were the plain ones. For sure 65-66 had plain ones, those cars are still fairly common around here.

And yes, they are hard to find, i hit all the swap meets and can't recall seeing any for sale recently.

10. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

O n a guess it was probably when Pontiac switched over to chevy motors and an aftermarket co made them ,

11. 55chieftain

55chieftain

Your probably looking for these, 55-56 only. Very rare. May need to hit up on some Canadian junkyards.

added: these are the staggered bolt pattern and will only fit the 57 and earlier chevy heads.

Attached Files:

• vc.jpg
      vc.jpg
      File size:
      32.2 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2010
  12. troylee

troylee

I have seen a 65 boumont? With a 327 and pontiac valve covers. Same guy has 4-5 of those cars one is a wagon and the other is a rag top. Rare stuff, and he is from Canada land and combs the bone yards looking for that stuff.

13. RacerRick

RacerRick

I have been looking for a set for years. I have seen pics of straight accross bolt pattern ones but the one set of real ones I saw in person were staggered.

14. Never seen a set.

15. I have a set of em. Staggered pattern. Never seen a set of strightup ones. Do they exist?
    I keep my eyes peeled for em but not on the hunt for em. I'll ask my dad-in law if he knows of any... hes known as Mr Pontiac.

-Shiny

16. Uh, no. Canadian Pontiacs are goofy, some of them amount to rebadged Chevys with minor trim differences, some are more pure Pontiac but with Chevrolet underframe and drivetrain. Something to do with import duties and Canada requiring local content in vehicles.

17. koolkemp

koolkemp

Flatheadfever has a set on his 52 Pontiac, with a 350, modified them to fit the later style heads, I dont have a pic but if he sees this thread he will prolly post some pics for ya. I only ever found one...the car still had one head on it, it was a 55 HTop still wish I had grabbed it.

18. Yup, staggered bolt pattern... The one's I have are less green and more of a 'Peacock' blue shade - but that's them alright.
    Now, this may be the imagination of an old man, but I'm sure years ago I saw a set of finned aluminum Pontiac valve covers off of a '58 Bonneville... :confused:

-Dave

19. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Thanks for the heads up Rusty New Yorker ,Some new History intrigues me .

20. My brother has a set that came with his 55 Pontiac when he got it. Factory V8 car that originally came with a 265. It had a newer 283 in it when he got it, so the valve covers were just in the trunk. They have the staggered bolt pattern, and they are chrome. :eek::D

They're out of town in storage, but I will get some pics next time I'm out there.

Hopefully Flatheadfever posts up some pics, because we really wanna put them on his car. They look awesome.

21. I saw 2 sets at the same swap didn't buy them but I had buddy's number and called him later and got them. The next year I asked the other guy if he still had his and he did but left them home. I bought those as well 4 months later. Paid 70 for one set and 30 for the other. I modified the dented up set to fit a later model sbc.
    I have them on a 52 Cdn PONCHO dressed up to look like an early SBC.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

22. deuceman32

deuceman32

This is what the decal version looks like ( the ones Ratmotor was describing).
    My family had '59 and '61 Laurentians both 283 powered and at least one of them had these on it.

[​IMG]

23. tstclr

tstclr

A couple of guys on my website had a set of valve covers with the Pontiac script embossed on them. You can try posting a want ad on the forum there.

www.canadianponcho.ca

Todd