Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Canadian paint job - worth the trip?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by meezy, Feb 11, 2018.

1. meezy

meezy

Hello, forum.
    It's been 25 years and now that my Plymouth is mechanically sound and the interior looks good - it's time for the icing on the cake - a proper paint job.

I found a good place to do it locally. But I'm in New York... and Canada is just a few hours away. And the exchange rate means that one of their dollars costs only about 80 of my cents...

...does this mean that a paint job will be 20% cheaper up there??

Or are such savings offset by the fact that such body work is generally more expensive up there? Any advice would be appreciated.

2. Slopok

Slopok

Maybe but magazines cost more up there!;)

Donuts & Peelouts and meezy like this.
  3. AldeanFan

AldeanFan

Generally everything is more expensive here in Canada. Materials are very expensive, I haven’t had anything painted recently, but I buy parts in the US because even after the exchange it’s still cheaper.

Also, if I were to have my car painted in the US, Canada customs would charge me tax and duty on the value of the paint job when I brought the car back to Canada. If there’s similar tax and duty going the other way you’ll have to factor that in to the cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

meezy likes this.
  4. meezy

meezy

REALLY!
    Interesting... I mean - I was just going to drive the car to Toronto, get the paint job done, and drive back to NY. You think customs would say, "Hey, that looks like a new paint job. We'll need a cut."? My thoughts were to pay all cash and have no paper trail...

Hollywood-East and bct like this.

5. Rick H

Rick H

In 1968 my oldest brother bought a 56 ford in El Paso where he was stationed and took it to Mexico and got interior and paint for $300. My how things change.

6. Slopok

Slopok

How many 1950 Plymouths are crossing the border now a days? If I were the border guard or whatever they are called, I'd certainly remember seeing you coming and going. If you are painting it the same color then just bring it over filthy dirty and when you come back across just tell them you know of a really good car wash in Canada!:D

meezy likes this.
  7. Stuff is expensive up here...plus there is GST (general sales tax) - 5% Federal tax on top of everything. Plus provincial sales tax (varies from province to province...).

The feds are very serious about making sure they collect every cent of GST possible...it won't be as easy as you think to find a shop willing to do anything for cash. The penalties if you get caught are pretty substantial.

Even if you did find someone to paint it for cash, at 80 cents on the dollar you likely won't save anything due to the higher material costs here.

brad2v and meezy like this.
  8. meezy

meezy

YES - that's the info I was looking for. Thank you. Those were my thoughts too.
    I'll stick to my local guy that I trust.

Problem solved.

9. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

10. Yup, often, when we come back from a tour in the US we are asked if any repairs or changes have been made to the car while we were out of Canada. If yes, most often a sales tax charge is made on the value of the work done. I don't know if the same thing is done going the other way, but ...

meezy likes this.
  11. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

My thoughts.... If it is talked out, You have seen work, numbers work in Your spectrum, F' it are they really going to know wtf the car looked like going there/leaving.... No, if You feel good.. Roll with it..

meezy likes this.
  12. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

This is really stupid. When you go to Canada, you pass threw the Canadian checkpoint with Canadian guards. When you come back to the States, you pass threw the American checkpoint with American guards.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
    swade41 and meezy like this.
  13. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

I agree with you, in addition, an American can bring a complete purchased car from Canada and there are no charges. So I am sure they would be no concern on their part about a Paint Job. However our Government sticks it up our ass for every dime they can collect, so finding a body shop for a cash job is not that big of a deal as we have a thriving underground economy. Finding a body shop to do quality work is a whole new ball game. Get it done in the good Ole USA.

meezy likes this.
  14. 56premiere

56premiere
    from oregon

They must paint fast up there. If you drove here to get it painted you would have to move .

15. meezy

meezy

That's a good point - but I have a cousin up there. And I'm a teacher. So I have a few months off. It would basically be me spending time w/ fam over the summer until the job was done. Then I'd drive back down. (Completely broke)

16. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

Considering the number of posts I have read here on cars being in paint jail, I would want to be close enough to at least visit. Once they have the car your bargaining position goes way down, and being from another country on top of it seems like a recipe for disaster.

17. meezy

meezy

Another good point.
    The issue has been resolved in my mind. Mostly due to the fact that services like these just seem more expensive, in general, up there. So even with the exchange rate in my favor, it would still be a wash. Then your points on top of that... Thanks for chiming in.

18. Slopok

Slopok

Must be a shortage of sense of humor up there eh?

meezy and Donuts & Peelouts like this.
  19. If you are going for a one day paint job then you are better off going to the local Maaco.

Given my knowledge of painters and body men in general unless I knew a painter in Canada I would stay closer to home.

Hnstray and Donuts & Peelouts like this.
  20. patterg2003

patterg2003

These days it is easy to ask for here the names of good shops and get references with the internet and HAMB members. The exchange rate will offset any taxes. All it takes is an estimate so you can weigh the plus & minuses. One thing you may have to confirm with the US border and maybe the Canadian Border Services Agencies the regulations for importing and exporting cars. On the US side a Canadian has to file paper work 3 days in advance so the US Border patrol can do a title check and see if it is not stolen. I dont know if Canada is similar. I bought a car in Toronto and was trailering it home. GPS pointed me towards the US border as it was a quicker route to central Canada. I did not want to be on the American side trying to explain where the car came from trying to re enter Canada. I have never had an issue going back and forth so as long as person has no criminal record or DUI it is pretty straight forward.

Maybe you could do a good photo journal and forward it to a couple shops for opinion. I loved when our dollar was higher than the US but still one has to shop with care. Sometimes when all the costs were factored in there was no benefit to cross border shopping. If a person is cross border mall hopping then there is some advantages.. So do your home work and you likely can find a good deal. There are lots of quality shops in the communities around Toronto as well.
    The US dollar is about 25% higher, the Ontario sales tax is 13% Cdn. If a service is $1k on both sides of the border then it is like $800US with about $100US in taxes. So I think that still is a $100 per thousand savings. Have to factor in all the travel. The only way to save is if you can get a quality job at a much lower rate in the Toronto Area.

Finally check if you get dinged on the return for services in Canada that may take the balance of your savings away. All the border information is available for going both ways. Again all it takes is some investigation to see if there is any benefit.

21. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Beaner has the right idea, better get MAACO

Hnstray and Donuts & Peelouts like this.
  22. 37 caddy

37 caddy
    from PEI Canada

If they found out you had a bunch of work done to your car and didnt declare it,they could sieze your car,throw you in jail,then it wouldnt be such a good idea.Either side of the border is very strict on this stuff,the guys there have an idea what stuff is worth,if the car smells like new paint,and you say its been here for 2 months,you maybe subject to a cavity search:eek:. Be careful. Harvey

23. slowmotion

slowmotion

With all the points mentioned, just seems like way too much baggage to consider it.
    Wanna cheap paint job? Consider contacting a local vocational/tech school. Or just go the Maaco route like the Beaner mentioned.

24. Donuts & Peelouts likes this.
  25. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've had a lot of cars painted at MAACO, with the right prep and finish they turn out great. Paint is paint, it doesn't know who's gun it came out of.

Donuts & Peelouts likes this.
  26. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

This^^^

Texas57 and meezy like this.
  27. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

I suppose they forgot to add the part where they ask if you got your car painted in Canada. I guess they will check the paint when they pull cars to the side and check if you got any Canadian air in your tires and Canadian gas in the tank.

28. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

29. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

Tell you what. If you want I run an Appraisal Business and am familiar with the Good The Bad & Ugly Painters & Body Shops if you decide to come up to the Toronto area I can hook you up with a painter that you would be happy with. I have sold whole cars to USA guys they have taken them home without issue at the border with out paying any fees. I am sure a paint job would not be bothered with. Larry

30. VonWegener

VonWegener

If you cannot find a Maaco go around and ask the local used car dealers. They all have contacts for inexpensive paint jobs that look good. Same goes for auto upholstery.