Register now to get rid of these ads!

Canadian hot rod found

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by selohssa, Jul 18, 2009.

1. ALCAN AV8

ALCAN AV8

Last edited: Jul 21, 2009
  2. gregk

gregk
    from BC Canada

There was a chopped 57 Ranchero in regina years ago. i seems to remember it being dark blue and I also think that it was build in Winnipeg.
    The Pontiac valve covers were very common in canada as all the small block pontiacs had chev motors, Gm just made different covers. Any aged junk yard in canada should have some.

greg

3. selohssa

selohssa

Well, it is now a running, driving car again. After 39 years of hibernation, it can cruise the streets of Edmonton like it once did. I had to rebuild the entire fuel, brake, clutch, ignition and cooling systems as well as lower the back and change the old tires. I have to thank Gary Automotive here in Edmonton for all of his detective work in figuring out what all of the oddball parts were. Now I can drive it for a while until I have all of the parts to redo the body.

Attached Files:

mgtstumpy, rjones35, 51 BIRD and 4 others like this.
  4. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've always loved car/pickups (had a '79 Ranchero and a '67 El camino) and have a real nice '70 El Camino now. These ('57 '58 Rancheros) are in my opinion the best of the lot. Love the Meteor grillle; wish it was mine!:D

5. That's a pretty sweet find...well done on getting it sorted out and back on the road.

Take it to some cruises and shows and maybe someone will remeber and fill you in on some more history....then come back and share it with us.;):D

6. zimm

zimm
    from iowa

looking good. going to keep the green? i vote yes

7. plodge55aqua

plodge55aqua
    from Alberta

That looks good..... and a Canadian Meteor Grill... Very Nice.

51 BIRD likes this.
  8. Sphynx

Sphynx
    from Central Fl

Its not a hotrod its a custom it has to be in the lower 48 to be a hotrod there are NO HOTRODS IN CANADA just friggin with you thats one cool ride .:D

bigheadbaxter likes this.
  9. You'll also notice the 57 Meteor grille in it.....

51 BIRD likes this.
  10. Someone should remember the cut out wheel wells. Very distinctive. Was it registered as a Meteor Ranchero. If so it is quite rare. I had a Meteor Ranchero a few years back. Pat

11. Pitbullgoingpostal

Pitbullgoingpostal

That is one bitchin' Ranchero.

12. Hey_Pauly

Hey_Pauly

So Awesome. Nice to see some old Canadian cars making it back on the road.

13. RAY With

RAY With

Nice find but most of the 57 Ranchero's had 312 y block and to remove that for a chev is blasphemy--Worth a lot more with the old y but in any case a hell of a find--You scored big time on this one

14. selohssa

selohssa

I had a 56 Parklane wagon with a 312 and it made no difference in value when I sold it. I like the idea that it has a GM engine as it was a very difficult swap, especially since it was done before the chevy II V8 parts were available.

Stogy likes this.
  15. stwheels

stwheels
    from Edmonton

That looks awesome Ryan. I can hardly wait to see it in person. Enjoy the new valve covers and post some pictures when you get them installed.

Doug Lepak
    The Steering Wheel Guy
    web site: http://drive.to/stwheels

16. selohssa

selohssa

Sorry for the delay in a reply. I have become obsessed with collecting a full set of vintage snap on tools lately and have not checked on this thread in a while. It was registered as a FORD ranchero not a METEOR. It was in a minor collision in 1970 and those were the parts that they were using to repair it. I have changed the grill back to a Ford. I don't plan on leaving it green but for now I have painted the hood and header panel to match.

17. saltracer219

saltracer219

Well, I thought that building a "HOT ROD" was supposed to include an engine swap. Not just changing one! Take a look back to the time just after the flathead, not many Fords in Fords, that happened for a reason!

18. greasemonkey060

greasemonkey060

Rad. Pretty cool find!

19. Yes, this is a simple mystery to be solved. Back in the 1950s and '60s Canadian Pontiacs had Chevy chassis and drivelines, as well as interior trim. You could always tell a North-of-the-Border Poncho by the wide-track body and narrow-track chassis!

I have a 1964 Canadian Pontiac sales brochure that I picked up in Vancouver on a family vacation to the Pacific Northwest (we had a '64 Bonneville at the time). Models were, if I recall correctly, Strato-Chief (equivalent to Chevy's Biscayne), Laurentian (ditto for the Bel-Air) and Parisienne (Impala), plus a Custom Sport (SS) model that could be had with a 'real fine' 409! The cars even had contemporary Chevy dashboards.

Look forward to seeing more pics of the Ranchero in future. Why not find a '57 Meteor (Canadian Ford) grille for that Old Skool Kustom look? Oops, I missed seeing the pix on pg 2 - it's already got the Canadian Ford grille! Another Senior Moment rears its ugly self... (LOL)

Last edited: Feb 20, 2010
    mr57 likes this.
  20. slammina30

slammina30
    from CT

cool score dude

21. RickyRodder

RickyRodder

I remember the Pontiac Beaumont (Chevelle) as well. Very cool Ranchero!

22. any cool hubcaps in there?

23. El Gordo

El Gordo

Every 'old car' in the Edmonton area should raise a glass to Gary:cool:

where do you cruise?

Ever make it to White Oaks on Fridays?

I wanna see this in person

24. fitty_2

fitty_2

FAT '57 LOVE IT!! Go back to a built 292 Y!!

n

Attached Files:

mgtstumpy and chriseakin like this.
  25. fitty_2

fitty_2

Word up fordnutz on the rear wheel well openings they look cool, but are they stock?

n

26. fitty_2

fitty_2

PS don't change the Meteor grille!! Keep it's best Canadian history intact the color is bitchin! Unless you're brain dead Canadian versions are the super-est of cool, not going to toot that horn too much because I would rather be ahead of than behind that curve!! Just think stainless steel trim lightning bolts and you'll get it.

PS RAY a 312 in a '57 Ranchero is not all a given. Most likely it was a base 272 or 292, the 312 would be a top option, correct me anyone if I am wron,

PS Hey selohssa (what does that describe) how bout a pic of your data plate?

fitty

51 BIRD likes this.
  27. Ragtop

Ragtop
    Member Emeritus

Just a couple of things - 301s were 283s bored to 4" so not a stroker and I've owned quite a few Canadian Pontiacs and they all had Pontiac dashes. They used the Chevrolet chassis and were a lot lighter and lighter duty than USA Pontiacs. I remeber letting a set of those Pontiac valve covers go on a 60 that I sold years ago and regretting it ever since. They had the early staggered bolt pattern as well as the post 1960 standard ones too.

Atwater Mike likes this.
  28. selohssa

selohssa

Do you mean in the box car? Yeah there were tons of cool caps in there. You name it. There were even a ton of customized caps made from parts of different caps.

29. selohssa

selohssa

Where is White Oaks?

30. selohssa

selohssa

You are supposed to read it backwards.

kidcampbell71 and Stogy like this.