Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Canadian Hamber lakestyle header question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fitnessguy, Dec 23, 2016.

1. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Curious if any Canadian Hambers know of any rules regarding running lakestyle headers with baffles especially in BC. I plan on getting a set of driveshaft units with baffles and turnouts when i am ready for them but have that lingering worry about getting the car registered with them. don't want to spend the money then run into an issue. I know there would likely be differences province to province.

thanks

2. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Just call up Christie, she will change he rules just to get your vote!

3. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

ha you know i have always had a thing for her, i should do that...:D

4. Jethro

Jethro
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm sure they are illegal because they exit in front of the passenger compartment. That said get the car inspected with a full exhaust then change it over....beg forgiveness if you get stopped....don't drive like a knob and the RCMP and CVSE will never know......maybe?

loudbang and falcongeorge like this.

5. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Once they are on there, I doubt anyone will look twice, but I don't know if they will pass the initial inspection. @hb32 I can't remember did you have them on your roadster?

loudbang likes this.
  6. Duke

Duke

As I understand it, exhaust need to go to the rear. I think you have to have it so someone can't burn themselves on the exhaust, so even the header is illegal.

loudbang likes this.
  7. Nope. Expensive Sanderson block huggers that leaked where the 4 pipes came into the collectors and the second pair did not match the dimensions of the first set.

8. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Ok, couldn't remember. Thanks hb32.

9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Never can figure out why anyone who builds a hot rod doesn't have his/her state/province's motor vehicle codes or rcw's studied when it comes to modifications.
    What I am finding on the BC exhaust rules is pretty vague. scroll down to 7.03 and you see it doesn't tell you a lot outside of no flame throwers and no fart pipes if you read it that way.
    http://www.bclaws.ca/civix/document/id/complete/statreg/26_58_04

It's like a lot of other things on hot rods, if it looks like it should be that way from the get go and you aren't making an ass out of yourself with the car most of the time they will let it slide.

Personally I think you would get damned sick and tire of the constant drone right beside your ear running down the road if you intend to drive the rig more than 20 miles at a time. Plus your passenger will probably want ear plugs or noise canceling ear muffs which look pretty damned silly in the big middle of summer running down the road.

loudbang and trollst like this.
  10. trollst

trollst

First, find yourself a hot rod friendly inspector, second, legally the exhaust has to exit behind the passenger compartment. Third and most important, build a car you'll drive, cause with the setup you're describing, you won't spend much time in the car, maybe show off at the cruise night. Not being critical, only offering help based on experience. Most importantly, based on experience, you'll run the risk of being a heat score and the penalty for that is inspection orders, which you cannot fight in court, ask me how I know. When the cop decides he don't like what he sees, you'll pay the price, I believe the ticket is $150, inspection is $100-150, together they hurt. I was dumb enough to try that five times in one year, Mrs Troll quickly made me understand that that would not continue. It's your idea, try it for size......

loudbang, HemiDeuce and falcongeorge like this.
  11. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Seriously, instead of doing what's cool on the HAMB, why don't you do what's traditional, as what was done back when. Run caps on the pipes with some cool looking wing nuts, and run drops under the car leading to a full exhaust system?

Jerrybigbird, Stogy, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  12. trollst

trollst

Where are you? If you're in the interior, I can set you up with the people you'll eventually need.

13. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

You know a good inspector there trollst?

14. desotot

desotot

The walls have ears

15. trollst

trollst

Not only do I know a guy, I know a girl who knows a guy inside the ninth floor and gets the paperwork done right and fast. PM me.

falcongeorge likes this.
  16. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That would be Mr. Santa and Mrs. Claus...;)...Merry Christmas Fitness and to all a certified good night...and a Merry Christmas too.

trollst likes this.
  17. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Thanks for all the info guys. I hear all the points. I love the look and I hear you about the drivability and noise long term. I have been back and forth on this in my head a ton. Trollst thanks for the info I will shoot u a pm for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

18. trollst

trollst

Well, in my opinion, George makes the most sense, you can run open headers when you like, but cap them when you don't like.

19. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Ya I agree. It comes down to the routing of the exhaust off the headers. I don't really like the look of the ones that drop down under the frame. I have seen a couple where they tuck back up in front of the firewall and then drop down. That is how I would do it if I have the space with the steering column. Need the get off my ass and decide

20. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Same to you Stogy! I heard your area is supposed to get three more feet of snow and have winter till June! Ha ha just kidding! All the best

Stogy likes this.
  21. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We were but you guys are stealing it from us...:D...thaaankks

4barrel likes this.
  22. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

You could always do what I did for my RPU and go through the frame..... :)
    As you can see I then ran the pipes through a pair of porter mufflers and out to the rear.
    If I choose I will be able to remove the block off plates and make some noise ;)
    I built the whole works, headers drops exhaust and all and used 4" pipe cut at a 45 degree angle to go through the frame.
    It's tight under my little RPU but I made it all work. There are more pictures on my build thread.
    (As you might also notice, one of the pictures shows the Maverick rear I started with and replaced with the new Winters QC)
    Larry :cool:
    Exhaust 002.jpg 002 (4).jpg roadster outside ! 001 (2).jpg roadster outside ! 003 (2).jpg 6.jpg 21.jpg

desotot likes this.
  23. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Looks good Larry I like that look for sure. Have you liked the porter mufflers? I have looked at those as well.

24. Jerrybigbird

Jerrybigbird
    from Montana

Speedway sells a diy lakester headers kit with block-offs and a flange for under car exhaust.

25. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Yes we have been getting it non stop. Weeks of minus 20 then a big dump of snow yesterday. They are calling for a long winter here. Oh well more time to work on the car while the camaro sleeps

Stogy likes this.
  26. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Fitness...an option for you CC baffles...they have the Lakes style baffles but the fellow said the in pipe baffles would be more effective. Haven't installed them yet and they do claim you may have to adjust carbs to reflect added back pressure. I ordered the silencer baffle which has I think 4 rings. I know I am running under car exhaust and you are suggesting you are not so it would be a header only baffle unless you change the setup.
    There was a cruise last summer and a fellow running a flathead V8 was running Lake style header only and it was pretty darn quiet. I asked him what he did in there he said he cut up some cherry bombs and threw away the glass saved the baffles made em fit and wrapped it in asbestos:confused:...I was thinking to myself WTF but I will say it was very quiet so there are options. Lots of threads here on baffling the beast to your pleasure and your ears will be the one to determine whats right for you.
    I will say my ears have suffered as they do ring and I will get the baffles in to try. In the meantime the noise albeit somewhat loud has never been targeted by the system nor has anything else...and I am thankful for that. Have fun with your evolving build.

27. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I haven't heard them yet in my system as I have the car all apart for finishing. I believe they will sound very nice with my Y block from other exhaust clips I have heard.

28. Never had a problem here in GVRD.............
    And yes, I drive it. .....A lot.
    20160716_161813.jpg

desotot likes this.
  29. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Absolutely! Knods as good as a wink to a blind horse. I "know a guy" here too, but I always worry the next time I go back he'll be retired, so it's always good to have an ace in the hole.;)

30. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Merry Christmas fitnessguy chopped51 and desotot! We just got a little skiff last night, but we already had about 10". It's melting pretty fast though.