Register now to get rid of these ads!

Canadian Flathead Aluminum Heads

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ricardo_rocha, Dec 20, 2009.

1. ricardo_rocha

ricardo_rocha
    from Brazil

My fellow Hambers,

I have a 1951 Mercury Sport Sedan made in Windsor, Canada...Im running its original engine, wich is a 255 8CM Flathead...I heard that the Canadian 8CMs used to bring Aluminum heads...How can I be sure about that?...

2. newjersm3

newjersm3

3. Flatman

Flatman

All the ones I've seen are iron. I've heard there used to be a company back in the day that cast aluminum heads marked "Made in Canada" that the racers in the states ran, referring to them as cheater heads.

Flatman

4. George G

George G

Some 1939 fords came with them. but not all engines had them. No factory alum heads in'51

5. FASI

FASI

I have a pair of new old stock Made in Canada cheater heads. They are aluminum and I believe are 8.5 compression ratio. They are the early 59A style. I don't believe they made them for the 8BA engine.

6. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

I have a set, given to me by a old Track racer.All Aluminum,The have 8BA cast on the heads,with made in Canada on each.
    All these heads..early or late were cast at the Alcan factory in Kingston Ontario.
    Mine are late heads.

7. Flatman

Flatman

People give you the coolest things....:rolleyes::D

Flatman

8. Rockerhead

Rockerhead
    Member Emeritus

Back in the 1950s Phil Weiand made and sold aluminum heads for flatheads that said CANADA on them. They were plain appearing with no fins. Phil offered both 7.5 and 8.5 compression ratios. They were especially popular for use with competition where the engines had to be 'stock'. Very often the user painted the heads Ford green.
    Hot rodders rarely bought these heads because they looked stock.
    Don
    www.montgomeryhotrodbooks.cim

Attached Files:

GearHeadDiver likes this.
  9. jambottle

jambottle

the 49 ford and mercury heads are the rare ones.early in fords production of the new 49 ford and mercury engines ,they had trouble with their iron head supply and had to outsource some aluminum heads from alcan canada.they were only used in the first few months of 49.most went on the monarch and meteor engines.once ford caught up in production of their own iron heads ,they were no longer used.i have had a few sets both nos and used.they were very nicely done castings.if i can dig up some old pictures ;i will post them .

10. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Here are some pics....
    Sorry they have C8BA.....my bad.
    :)

Attached Files:

11. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

All the above are correct. These heads were cast at the Alcan Factory in Kingston, Ontario Canada which were manufactured for both the early and late flat heads. However; the late heads, which Jeff shows a picture of above, are very rare compared to the early aluminum heads. The early heads are still floating around out there but as I said, the late heads are becoming extremely sought after.

How do I know this, well I live just north of Kingston Ontario Canada, as numerous family members were employed by Alcan Kingston Works.

Cheater heads, well Weiand manufactured heads without the fins, however; these were obviously aftermarket heads as the aluminum heads pictured by Norwell were a gennie Ford item....

There has been much discussion regarding these original aluminum heads, with a few different opinions, but some very knowledgable dirt circle track racers and antique guru's from my area share the same opinion.....

"MADE IN CANADA" is embossed on the heads as you can see above picture, just above Norwell's right hand.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2009
  12. Just an added note . As mentioned the earlier heads are in fact easier to find. The later c8ba heads only came on 1949 fords in canada , and only
    the first 3 months of producion in 49 were they used ! They then switched back to steel heads.
    They also made aluminum late heads for canadian mercury
    very rare ! combustion chamber shape was different.

Attached Files:

13. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

Thats right, on the east coast of Canada, the Merc heads are more common, however; still very rare....

14. hotrodfrank

hotrodfrank
    from dearing,ga

i have a 35 flathead engine with aluminum heads, was told that it was a canadian engine, no fins

15. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

All Canadian aluminum heads had markings...

Remember, old time circle track racers in Ontario, Canada and upstate N.Y. would cut the fins off of aftermarket heads as the rules for dirt circle track racing once stated: "No finned heads". Hence, the racers taking this rule to the letter of the word, would mill the fins off of the heads.

The rules then stated; "No aftermarket heads", however; Canadian heads would still be permitted under this rule.

The third rule change, finally read; "No aluminum heads" as the majority of racers and rule makers were unaware of factory aluminum heads. This is quoted from an old time circle track racer, the gentleman I introduced Jeff Norwell to who Jeff purchased his heads from.

16. ricardo_rocha

ricardo_rocha
    from Brazil

Thank you all for the information...Great stuff...I will try to learn more based on this...

17. Doc.

Doc.
    Member Emeritus

18. R Pope

R Pope

I have a set of 59A aluminum heads, never seen or knew about the 8BA's. Love to find a set!

19. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Does yours have the aluminum manifold? I have two types, both C1CM marked, likely auto and standard trans differences.
    Joblot sold off the last big batch of real C7RA early heads around 1970, and at that time they also sold Canadian late heads...I do not remember prefix on those.
    The Canadian cheater heads all ended up in New York/Connecticut supporting the last flathead stock car circuit in the '70's...
    Slightly before this time, the old Honest Charley speed shop had both the real and fake Canadians.

20. jambottle

jambottle

here are mine. they were nos and i ran them for one summer before selling the car and the guy wanted the finned heads i had ,so i gladly changed them.i am looking for 32 3w doors in any condition? chris

Attached Files:

21. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

The 59A style Canadian head. The Weiand cheater heads were marked on the intake side of the hose connection where it could not be seen during tech inspection.

[​IMG]

It looks like Fenton made a cheater head also.

Did all the Canadian corvettes have 9 fin valve covers too?:D

22. jambottle

jambottle

that`s is true all the canadian built corvettes had 9 fin valve covers until they ran out of stock in 1972.of course they used a lot of the 9 fin valve covers on the canadian built beaumonts and acadians up until the supply ran out in 1972.you can tell the canadian 9 fin cover by the grouve that is cut out of the top fin.apparently it was for clearance for the windshield snow clearing option.

Attached Files:

23. StrickV8

StrickV8

[​IMG].

I've got a set of late model Merc heads (and a single to replace the one that's been welded). Also have a couple of the aluminum Canadian Merc 4-bolt intake manifolds. Gonna polish the Canadian heads to run on my AV8 I'm building.

24. holeshot

holeshot
    BANNED
    from Waxahachie

RECARDO...man i was braught up in the 50s, and i can tell you clearly, when the O.H.V. engines came along we never looked back at a flathead. i'am amased at the amount of people TODAY who have flatheads. i just don't get the appeal...POP.

25. fordcpe

fordcpe

I have a mint right side C8ba alum. head but still need the left side if anyone would like to sell one to me. I think they will look great all buffed up or just stock. Darrell

26. bobbooth

bobbooth
    from limeyland

Hey dont forget the "37" ones:)
    [​IMG]

27. ricardo_rocha

ricardo_rocha
    from Brazil

wow, looks great!

28. tinmann

tinmann

I just put a pair of these bad boys in the classifieds if anyone is interested.......... shameless plug.

29. fonti

fonti

Could buy an engine with these heads on. It's a 48-59L Canadian truck block with these Weiand cheater heads. They say with 8.5:1 compression. The block is bored to 3 5/16 with a 4" Merc crank and a 3/4 regound race cam...
    well - what you think, you Flathead guru's?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

30. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

C7RA heads are fine stock heads.