Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Canadian 31 Roadster build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by h8to wrk, Sep 1, 2020.

1. h8to wrk

h8to wrk

Been a car lover most of my life. Jumped around in all different things from low riders to Imports and off-road trucks for the last 15 years. My Car ADD got me and I sold my prized jeep and started a 31 Roadster build.

I have minimal experience in this and will make lots of mistakes as I move through the process but I'm having fun and building what I want based on an Idea in my head.

Plans are a 31 Roadster on 32 Chassis with a Flathead, Duval style windshield and no Top.

Ill post pictures as I go along.

I brought this home as a start, 32 Frame, Grill shell, Drop Axle and a Bronco 9 inch. A few boxes of bits and pieces IMG_0684.jpg IMG_0685.jpg IMG_0753.jpg also

Last edited: Sep 1, 2020
    juan motime, Stogy, Piewagn and 13 others like this.
  2. h8to wrk

h8to wrk

I knew from the beginning that I wanted a Flathead and I am lucky that I have a local friend that is in the business of building them and is one of the best around. So he put this 8BA together for me.
    IMG_0988.JPG IMG_0989.JPG IMG_1274.JPG IMG_1280.JPG IMG_1298.JPG IMG_1299.JPG IMG_1302.jpg IMG_1303.jpg

juan motime, Piewagn, 2Blue2 and 13 others like this.
  3. h8to wrk

h8to wrk

Another Local friend had a S10 Trans, I picked it up brought it home and went through it to make sure all was OK and slapped a coat of paint. Have a Adapter plate and new clutch for it here in boxes.

IMG_1143.jpg

juan motime, Stogy, Piewagn and 8 others like this.

4. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

Now this is how you start a build thread! Very nice.
    You have a body yet?

Stogy, GordonC and kidcampbell71 like this.
  5. h8to wrk

h8to wrk

I knew I wanted a Roadster body debated between 28/29 and 30/31 for a long time. Looked at more than a few 28/29 that were available in my area but something always seemed off to me. I think they look great with no hood but the lines are wrong when you put a hood on them. I didn't want to make any compromises so I decided to wait for a 30/31 Roadster body to come available. Worst case I could always go Brookville if nothing came up (Probably would have been Cheaper lol)

I did wait some time and eventually found this body locally. Its a bit of a basket case of collected parts from someone who gave up and a little rough and i'm not sure what if any is actually original but it is a start and I can use it to get where I want. The Body is currently at a shop getting some work done by a friend who is much better than I am at fine detail body work. I already have a bunch of Brookville panels for everything that needs help IMG_1482.jpg IMG_2371.jpg IMG_2373.jpg IMG_2458.PNG .

juan motime, Piewagn, VF-1 and 8 others like this.
  6. h8to wrk

h8to wrk

The Original Frame I had was very rough. Initial plans was to fix it and use it but I have moved away from that and purchased a set of ASC rails that I boxed and added a Model A cross member. Plan is to use the 32 K member IMG_1048.jpg from the original frame.

juan motime, Piewagn, VF-1 and 5 others like this.
  7. h8to wrk

h8to wrk

This is about where I am at. Currently collecting parts while the Body gets to a point that I can set it on the chassis and start fitting everything up.

I have so much research to do and so many questions on everything I need to do to reach my goal. Hopefully I can get some suggestions and help along the way.

Stogy, Fitnessguy and Okie Pete like this.
  8. Papas32

Papas32
    from No.Ia.

Looks like a great project! Have fun.

9. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

Cool project and the flathead looks great and love where your going on the project. Did you find a source for the Duvall windshield yet. I have a extra 31 roadster body and would like to get one of the windscreens for it.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  10. UGOTBIT

UGOTBIT
    from Upstate NY

How will you use the 32 K with the T5? Think it will have to be chopped up pretty good...

11. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Did you ever get hold of Dave regarding the DuVal windshield with the info I sent you?

Dirty Dug and kidcampbell71 like this.
  12. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

13. h8to wrk

h8to wrk

Not exactly, I do have a contact but nothing confirmed yet

Correct, it will need to be modified. I have an Idea of how I will do it and a look I am after.

We have been messaging, thanks for the help!

Stogy likes this.
  14. panheadguy

panheadguy
    from S.E. WI

Why use the 32 crossmember? Send it down the road to someone that needs it.

15. Yes, that K-member looks good enough to sell/trade off to someone who can use it as is. Then you can use aftermarket one, build one, or adapt later Ford x-member.

Stogy and Okie Pete like this.
  16. h8to wrk

h8to wrk

Its a possibility. There is a local guy with a different K-member that had been cut up a little that would work very well for what I am doing. We are working on a possible trade.

Stogy, brEad and kidcampbell71 like this.
  17. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Go go go :)

Stogy likes this.
  18. h8to wrk

h8to wrk

Not to much to report but some work has started on the Cowl. Doors to be hung soon then on to the rear quarters.
    IMG_2629.jpg IMG_2630.jpg

juan motime, 2Blue2, Stogy and 8 others like this.
  19. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

20. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice , good luck !

21. hfh

hfh
    from Western MA

I hope you can figure out how to have a two piece windshield. They are so nice! Might mean giving up on using the original gas tank .

Stogy likes this.
  22. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

ditto H,
    hallock or duval style w/s frame ? both look great...
    i would love to make one at home, but in my eye it must be chromed, that level of finish would make my work a lot tougher...

Last edited: Jan 6, 2021
    barrnone50 and Stogy like this.
  23. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

Though both are attractive I personally prefer the duvall to the hallock something about it rising in the center... but I do like the "hallock style" where the sideposts are equal in height to the centre and no top rail...either way you won't be able to use the o/g gas tank...there used to be one floating around this area cast in brass and unmilled (also pretty cool @sloppy jalopies) I couldve bought it once:confused: but I still know the guy who had it...I could ask around

Stogy likes this.
  24. brady1929

brady1929

Looking forward to this.

25. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Good luck with it. Lots of good info on here and throughout the web. Slow means go!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

26. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

the k member determines the pedal location, if you move it it will pooch the pedal / firewall relationship...
    buddy in NH. uses boat w/s stanchions... look great... find a boat site...
    go paul go !

Last edited: Jan 6, 2021
  27. Ziggster

Ziggster

Very nice! Good to see another flathead saved and put to good use. Hope to build a 32 roadster one day. Will be following your build.

Stogy likes this.
  28. h8to wrk

h8to wrk

Not much progress to report but the Doors are hung. The 34 in the background is another getting worked on in my friends shop.

The condition of the original doors I had were not bad but the $$$ to fix them outweighed the cost for repop so that is the way I decided to go.

I am really looking forward to the rear quarters getting added.

IMG_2785.jpg

juan motime, Stogy, Dirty Dug and 5 others like this.