Register now to get rid of these ads!

can you upgrade a 31 banjo rear

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by box50, Feb 9, 2013.

1. box50

box50

I'm putting a flathead in my 31 sedan with a t-5, flathead is bone stock will this be a weak link or is there something else I can do like some type of upgrade. Or do I need to go ahead and find another rear,I would like to stay with the banjo rearend. Thank's guys for any info.

2. rpu28

rpu28
    from Austin

If your flathead is a stock Ford V8 and you don't have a lead foot and/or enjoy popping the clutch, you're probably OK with the A rear.

However, it's not very difficult to swap a V8 banjo for the A banjo; there's a thread on the HAMB that shows a slick way to do this using the spring hangars cut off the A rear.

Or, you can lengthen the A frame 7.5" and use a spring-behind banjo. The frame mod is not hard, but you'll have to change up your radius rods and driveshaft. On the plus side, you get hydraulic brakes (on '39 and later banjos) and about 4 inches of drop for the frame relative to the wheels.

3. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

I thought about putting a banjo in my Model A using upgrades like a quick change conversion, better axles and a posi. All totaled, it would be cheaper to use Summer or Champ quick change.