Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Can you shed any light on the history of my survivor Kustom???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by koolkemp, Feb 3, 2011.

?
  1. Keep the Dodge

79 vote(s)
    53.7%
  2. Get the cool Chevy

68 vote(s)
    46.3%
  1. koolkemp

koolkemp

I did a thread on this car a few years back but havent bumped it up for a long time, so instead I thought I would start a new thread in a last effort to see if I can find ANY history on this car before about 1980 when Chris Stapley here on the HAMB was the owner. Rikster was kind enough to stick some pics up on his site for me .....never heard from anyone who may have seen it before, and Luke did an article in Kustoms Illustrated as well (see scan below) ...again nothing ! Sombody somewhere must have seen it over the years its too different looking to forget !

[​IMG]

The article explains what I do know about the car...I had been told that Chris did some work on the car when I bought it from Darcy , but didnt know that Chris actually owned it when he was quite young , he saw a tiny pic of it I had as my avatar and pm'd me about it (damn good eyes if you ask me!) .Thanks to him and the HAMB he was able to scan me the few pics of it he had from back then...see below

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pretty cool car for a young lad if I do say so myself!

These next pics are from years later when Chris put the Nova clip and 307 /overdrive in for Darcy (Chris apologized for the Olds but he was only doing what he was paid to do :p)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. HRod 50

HRod 50

Umm, it's interesting thats for sure.. Good luck...

3. koolkemp

koolkemp

And heres some pics of it from a few years ago...hasnt changed any except its tucked in the garage and covered over...outta sight outta mind lol , I dont want to touch it till Rusty Reserection is on the road...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. koolkemp

koolkemp

I have always though of it as a face only a Mother (or me!) could love :D

5. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Very cool, Steve. Good luck finding some history!

6. koolkemp

koolkemp

More pics....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And heres a couple of crappy pics of the inside when it was loaded up with stuff for the move east..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any help would be appreciated guys ...if you know an old timer or were around in the very early 60's or late 50's show this thread to anyone who might have been to shows back then .I have a friend (Screwball) who has pretty well every small car book ever printed and hes looked through them all and never seen a pic of it. Also if any of you guys know any of the greats please show it to them! I gave Gene Windfield some pics of itbut he did not recognize it ...please help. Thanks guys and gals !!

Steve

7. koolkemp

koolkemp

Thanks man I gotta try and be optimistic !!

8. There is a thread or two on Canadian history cars or looking for history on your car going on right now at canadianrodder.com Might be some info over there. There are knowledgeable older rodders on there from across Canada that may shed some light on it's history. Pat.

9. koolkemp

koolkemp

Do you have a link to the thread by chance??

10. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

square away the dash, paint it and call it good. very cool!

11. koolkemp

koolkemp

Thanks from what I can tell I believe when it was built it had no gauges in the dash at all, they were in the front of the full length console . I dont car for the dash it would be the only thing I would change on it ...still not sure yet.

12. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

I've seen most of 'em from that period but I have to admit I've
    Never seen this one ! Good luck !!

13. Hot Rod Elvis

Hot Rod Elvis

I have to admit, when I first glanced at it, I almost thought it was a 41' Ford. It took me a minute to realize it was an Edsel grill.

14. koolkemp

koolkemp

Pass it along to to anyone you may know that isnt into computers please!!

15. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

sorry that think is hideous..put it to sleep

16. koolkemp

koolkemp

I dont recall asking for your useless opinion ....

17. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oh no.....I just threw up a little in my mouth...........sorry dude, just not my thing.

Doc.

18. Ruiner

Ruiner

Fab up some half bumpers for the front that end underneath the grille shell...and paint it...otherwise I think it's a pretty rad car, but then I like Edsel's...

19. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

you didnt ask but your sure as hell gonna get it...freedom of speech got to love hey?..

20. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

The car definitely has the late 50s-early 60s full custom vibe going. I like it! Looks very period correct, using what was then late-model parts (Edsel grille, Corvette taillights) to update an older car. Looking forward to seeing it restored.

21. Steve 38

Steve 38

Good luck with your search, I hope you can shed some light on its history.

22. 64LeSabre455

64LeSabre455
    from Adkins, Tx

You can send me that Tach, then burn the rest!

I kinda like it, definitely a face only a mother could love, but it looks to be nicely done!

23. gearheadbill

gearheadbill

Actually...you did. You post a picture of ANYTHING on the HAMB and it's open season. Your post count is high enough that you should understand this.

This car is the perfect example of what NOT to do to a car...any car. It is absolutely hideous. That said, I'm sure you like it (you wouldn't be posting pics if you didn't) and I appreciate your enthusiasm for the car. Good luck with it.

24. S.F.

S.F.

Comon guys, dont get this thread closed, I actually want to know some history on this thing...its pretty cool, Someone will find some old pics or something on this thing if the thread stays open long enough...without drama....I LOVE the rear end of this thing, its way cool

25. 87Heaven

87Heaven

Well I know one thing for sure!
    I am not the only one that installed a motor with a backhoe:):):)

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I look at pics at a couple of my past rides and wonder what the hell was I thinking??? And I am sure i am not alone............

Good Luck with you search.

26. KoolKemp,

dude, it's your car and you love it! I think its pretty damn cool and has lots of potential. The flat sheet metal dash does leave a lot to be desired though. I say find one of them wild late fifties/early sixties dashes and cut to fit! Just DONT put it back in the garage under a tarp!

27. twochops

twochops

I have 2 photos of it back in Michigan,but wont
    be back there until around MAY
    TwoChops

28. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well, I don't ever recall seeing in any periodical of custo* cars that I have ever seen and I have seen a lot of the*

It fits the *old of a lot of the late 50's early 60's custo*s in that the builder decided that he needed *ore of everything to earn show points.

It's one of those old custo*s that the *ajority of traditional Custo* fans wouldn't get whiny if you decided to do so*e changes to clean it up and I think that is what the guys are trying to tell you. Not every old custo* has to be brought back to exactly the way it looked when it was done years ago. It fairly obviously isn't or wasn't a big show winner or the history would be known. In fact it could have never been shown at all as a lot of custo*s in that era weren't shown.

Do what you want with it but I hope you have a thick skin if you leave it as is as the nitpickers will swar* around it when you show it.

And yes I still don't have a new keyboard.

29. flynstone

flynstone

its a dare to be different car ,,can you image if we all drove shoe boxs