Register now to get rid of these ads!

Can you mount a Sanden 508 A/C compressor upside down?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fordor Ron, Jul 9, 2011.

1. It's been over 100 degrees in Austin for more than a month now & I've decided I'm gonna run A/C in my POS Fordor so I can drive it year round.

When I mock everything up the compressor lines are tight if I mount it right side up. If I flip it upside down I have tons of room. Anyone ever do it?

It's a new Sanden 508 that's set to run 134 coolant.

Thanks in advance...

-Ron

2. I don't think it would be a problem, as it is a pump, gas goes in, gets compressed, and goes out as a liquid, in my feeble mind it would be like a 2 stroke, the oil is in the gas, so it is deposited by pressure not gravity, I think it would be okay. but never done it so cant say for sure.....

3. SBlack392

SBlack392

Ron
    This is definate No. The discharge line is always to remain up to the 4 bolt flange.You never want the disharge line to point in a downward position. The bottom of the compressor does act like a oil sump.
    Steve

4. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

I've turned them on their sides before without any problems, not sure about upside down though.

5. If I have to rotate it right or left which is preferable?

I have also heard it's possible to change it over to rear exit lines.

Any thoughts?

6. SBlack392

SBlack392

Ron
    The rear exit line is the best way if you cant work within the rotation of the discharge line not pointing past parallel with the ground.I was a Vintage Air dealer and installer for 13 years and if the rear exit is a better solution, do that.
    Steve

7. What about a line with a tight 90 on it where it screws on to the compressor? Do they make anything like that?

8. SBlack392

SBlack392

Ron
    Which line is giving you the problem, discharge or suction. Yes, they make 135' degree fittings that can get you out of a tight spot.
    Steve

9. If I rotate it one way the discharge is tight, the suction is tight if I go the other way. I think I can tweak it to make it work with the right fittings.

Thanks for the reply's. I may send you a PM later if I have any other questions

Thanks again...

10. badshifter

badshifter

11. Dang... I searched for a half hour on the web and didn't find that...

Thanks...

12. RugBlaster

RugBlaster

It's HOT here too.....I saw a squirrel the other day putting ice on his nuts.