Register now to get rid of these ads!

Can you identify these doors? Desoto? Plymouth?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gigantor, May 2, 2011.

1. Gigantor

Gigantor

I've been asking a scrapper buddy for years to let me know when he finds old stuff he's going to crush. He finally remembered to give me a call tonight and I went over there not knowing what to expect but I came home with these doors. He says there was no car, just the doors.
    All in all, by Maine standards, they are in pretty good shape. I'd like to identify them so I can help them or their parts find a home. The chrome is in good shape as is the trim and some if not all the glass... I haven't gotten a chance to do much more than take them off the truck to snap this pic in the dark.

I was looking around online and think I have it narrowed down to 58ish Desoto or possibly Plymouth 4-door hardtop, but I can't tell for sure.

Any ideas? I know you cats would know.

Thanks!

[​IMG]
    By earthshaker5769 at 2011-05-02

[​IMG]
    By earthshaker5769 at 2011-05-02

2. rosco gordy

rosco gordy

3. Weasel

Weasel

Trim seems to trigger de Soto in my mind. Doors and vent windows are definitely '57-'58 Chrysler De Soto - not Plymouth or Dodge. '57 De Soto 4dr HT???

4. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Plymouth, '57-'58

DeSoto had flush-mounted door handles. DeSoto fins also started their rise on the rear doors; Plymouth did not.

According to Hollanders Interchange, fit only '57-'58 Plymouth. Front is their interchange 953, rear is 964

Last edited: May 2, 2011

5. Vent windows and glass will probably interchange with almost all '57-64 mopars. The door skins will with some models as well.

6. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Bingo. Specifically, a Belvedere with that side trim. Painted sweep could be either year, but aluminum 'Sportone' inserts would be '58 only.

'57 above, and '58 below

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Actually, ALL '57-59 Mopars had flush-mounted door handles - except Plymouth. :)

Note Plymouth handles above, and Dodge here. Chryslers and DeSotos had the same door handles as this Dodge.

[​IMG]

7. Gigantor

Gigantor

I knew I could count on you guys - Thank you Gotgas for the history lesson and specifics.

Its really too bad the rest of the car was not there. These are B-E-A-U-T-I- FULL cars.

The sweeps are aluminum, but I haven't gotten a chance to check them out in full daylight yet.

8. Squablow

Squablow

That side trim is hard to find, and those vent window assemblies will interchange with the 2 door hardtops, so you shouldn't have a hard time selling those items. Don't know how hard it'll be to sell doors for a 4 door but that was a good save even if it was just for the trim.

9. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Gotgas, I knew the others had flush-mounted door handles as well. My comment was in reference to post #3 :)

10. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

I like a guy who knows his Mopars :D