Register now to get rid of these ads!

Can you ID this windshield?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mramc1, Oct 2, 2012.

1. mramc1

mramc1

I just pulled what I believe to be a windshield frame from an old barn. Dimensionally it measures 41.5" across. The one panel is 12.5" tall and the other is 14.5" tall. The pivot points have embossed writing that says "Vanguard" and Detroit. Any info would be appreciated.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The frame work is round tubing with a slot that the glass fits in. The center hinge is a piano style with small nails or pins securing it. All the hardware is fine thread and the screw heads are straight slot. This windshield frame is steel and the glass isn't even laminated.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2012
  2. mramc1

mramc1

A little Googling turned up Vanguard Manufacturing Company making windshields in Detroit 1913-1916. It looks like Vanguard merged with two other manufacturers in 1916 to form the Motor Products Corporation. Is that a precurser to Chrysler and MOPAR? Any brass era AACA buffs out there?

Last edited: Oct 2, 2012
  3. mramc1

mramc1

Anyone know if Vanguard was an OEM supplier of windshields or was this an accessory from 1916? Bump for the evening crew.

4. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Either an accessory, or an outsource supplier,...Ford did buy lights from the Dietz Lantern Co. Looks like it could be installed on just about any open car body, of the 20's era.

4TTRUK

5. mramc1

mramc1

I did some more digging and it appears that Vanguard windshields were used on the '11-'13 Ford Model Ts. Some were brass and some were steel. The one I have is steel which might be a '13 model. Anyway, thanks for the input. I'll be bringing this one to Hershey next week.