Register now to get rid of these ads!

Can you ID this cam with double lobes?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by outagas, Aug 30, 2010.

1. outagas

outagas

Saw this cam at the Peterson musuem in L.A. Was in a scene from the past of an old Hot Rod Garage of the 40"s and 50's. Look at the lobes on the cam...there are double lobes and it would appear this would open the valves twice as often as a std 4 cycle cam. The cam appears to be a small block chevy, but I'm not positive. Any body out there ever seen a cam with a grind like this??:confused:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 30, 2010
  2. yea the drove the cam at half speed. It was supposed to make them work better less valve deflection or something like that.

3. DD COOPMAN

DD COOPMAN

Shaller Quarter-Speed cam. DD

4. Phil1934

Phil1934

5. That actually sounds right. I knew they slowed it down but I couldn't remember how much. But 4 strokes would actually be 1/4 speed to work.

6. Schaller

One of the first 3 Hot ROd annuals has a good story on them.

7. batt69nova

batt69nova
    from OR

8. bobscogin

bobscogin

I remember those well, but never gave any thought to the following: How did they actually drive it? It would take half as many teeth on the crank, or twice as many teeth on the cam. On a SBC, for instance, what did the timing gears look like? Also, the oil pump and distributor would be turning at half the original speeds. What did they do about that?

Bob

9. I think you replaced the distributer gear with one that meshed with whatever gear they had on the cam to drive the dizzy. Timing gears would be the same thing you probably bought everything from the cam manufacturer.

10. Yes, it came with timing gears etc. I will try and scan the info I have tomorrow and post it.

11. Ratty55

Ratty55
    from Frohna,MO

The cam was gear driven. The gear on the cam was very big and drove straight off the crank with no idler like a normal gear drive setup so they also rotated in reverse and had special reverse rotation distributors to go with the kit.