Register now to get rid of these ads!

Can you help me identify this "lunkenheimer"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Neverdunn 51, Jan 10, 2012.

1. Neverdunn 51

Neverdunn 51
    from Flint, MI

Awhile back I went to an estate sale of a guy that was a local rodding/racing legend. He'd passed away about 12 years prior and his family was finally letting go of some of the stuff.

Alot of the vintage racing stuff I bought was easlily identifiable, but other stuff - not so much.

One of the things I haven't been able to learn anything about was this item that reads "LUNKENHEIMER".

Does anybody know what it's to/from or what it does, etc?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks,
    John

2. Dwight 51

Dwight 51

Hi John,
    Pretty sure it's a fuel strainer, probably used in WWII era & later aircraft

3. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Man, It's been awhile since I last saw one of those. Lippy:eek:

4. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Yes it looks like an early fuel filter. Unscrew the faucet handle and open it up. You'll probably find a fine strainer inside.

5. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

No idea, but it definitely looks like what I would think something that says LUNKENHEIMER on it would look like.

YAW! Dat's der Lunkenheimer!

6. deuce354

deuce354

Lunkenheimer made high quality hand pressure pumps in the 20s & 30s , Harry Miller used their hand pumps on all of his race cars

7. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Check this out. Look at the bottom right. Second item from the middle on the front. Is that a Lunkenheimer? :D

[​IMG]

8. '54Caddy

'54Caddy

9. Neverdunn 51

Neverdunn 51
    from Flint, MI

Thanks gang. I'd looked online and hadn't found anything - and there's not been one on ebay any of the times I've looked there either.

I appreciate the help. Another problem with not seeing any on ebay or anywhere else is that it's hard to learn it's value. Is it rare and valuable, or rare and nobody cares - ya know?

10. Looks just like a Telefunken U-47.

11. zzford

zzford

I believe that it's a flutter valve for the asshole of a hobby horse.

12. KENDEUCE

KENDEUCE

There was a Lunkenheimer Valve Co in Cincinnati, Ohio. Had been in business since begining of 20th century. Unfortunately it went out of business in the 1980's. Sorry

13. Yeah, Lunkenheimer was an industrial valve company. Had many of them on our propane trucks back in the day.

14. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

I believe you've found the answer to "what is it? Now, would you be willing to share who's estate it came from? I lived in Flint for about 18 years up til '74 and was involved in the Hot rod activity for most of that.

15. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

I have a few steam whistles made by Lunkenheimer, quality stuff!

16. oldcarfart

oldcarfart

17. snaptwo

snaptwo

Nothing, specific to your picture , a valve and perhaps a stainer. My departed pal/mentor/drinking buddy/machinist, mentioned the use of a "Lunkenhiemer" valve to control the fuel return in an early fuel injection setup for dirt sprinters . Rather than a "Pill" or jet a proper sized Lunkenhiemer was used as it had a very fine adjustment and be controlled from the cockpit. I hadn't heard the word Lunkenheimer since 'Bill's passing, thanks for the memory.

18. Neverdunn 51

Neverdunn 51
    from Flint, MI

Sure thing Dale. This came from the estate of "Wild" Bill Wadell. The estate was garages upon garages of awesome vintage stuff that was vintage BEFORE it'd been locked in the dark for more than a dozen years.

He was into just about everything and saved it all, so there was everything for sale from complete vehicles -project vehicles - to racing parts for any kind of racing you could think of. They said that to this day, he still holds some kind of a record at Bonneville for going over 200mph in an MG.

Thanks again for the info guys.

19. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

Thanks a bunch for the reply. I knew Bill quite well. I'm surprised the family sold off so much. Sure wish I had known about the sale-I'd have been there just for the adventure (and maybe to buy a souvenir). His son has the MG and has run it at Maxton several times. His daughter, Kathy Ridley has the '38 pickup with Nailhead in it. Have you seen Kathy's book-a bio of Bill combined with a history of the Genesee Gear Grinders ?

QUOTE=Neverdunn 51;7330998]Sure thing Dale. This came from the estate of "Wild" Bill Wadell. The estate was garages upon garages of awesome vintage stuff that was vintage BEFORE it'd been locked in the dark for more than a dozen years.

He was into just about everything and saved it all, so there was everything for sale from complete vehicles -project vehicles - to racing parts for any kind of racing you could think of. They said that to this day, he still holds some kind of a record at Bonneville for going over 200mph in an MG.

Thanks again for the info guys.[/QUOTE]

20. BOHICA

BOHICA

I have one from the turn of the century that I found in our barn with my great great grandfather's name stamped on the bell. It's pretty cool. Would really like to hook it up to an air line one of these days. The only Lunkenheimers I've seen were whistles and simple valves. Wasn't expecting to see what's in the OP.

21. Hi Dale!
    The 'family' did not know about the sale until a week before... It was very sad that the house he got for free from the estate was foreclosed on. I sent Art over and he bought my high school stamp album and a picture of our great grandfather. It was a cold day in November and I could not bring myself to go. I heard he did not make very much on the sale. My book is still going strong and the Michigan Hot Rod Association has it on their website, and we are taking the truck to the Detroit Autorama this February.