Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Can you help me ID these 35-40 Ford frames?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by koolkemp, Sep 28, 2012.

1. koolkemp

koolkemp

After over 2 yrs of looking locally with no luck I finally found not one but 2 frames in the last 2 weeks within a 3 hr drive, this is for my piece meal someday 36 project...some of you know what kind of junk I start with lol!

The first one has a bent rail and not too great of shape, but it also comes with a pair of 37?-40 rear fenders that I can salvage and it was only $100...

[​IMG]

I think this might be a 39-40 cause it looks like it had juice brakes?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. koolkemp

koolkemp

Photobucket is being weird, try again :mad:

Same frame...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This guy also has this trans and what I assume is the spindles from this frame, are they worth dragging home for parts?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. koolkemp

koolkemp

This is the second one...$300 looks alot cleaner than the first one, he told me its from a 37 coupe that sat upside down for so long it was only about a foot high :eek: but the frame looks pretty nice for something from around here...does it look like a 37 to the HAMB experts? Appreciate any input from you guys!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That ^^^ looks like a juice wheel cylinder to me though?

[​IMG]

he said this is the worst spot on this frame...much better than I expected to see...

[​IMG]

4. koolkemp

koolkemp

I see the difference in the front crossmember now :eek: dohhh !

5. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

That first frame above is a 1941 and later...

Spindles and drums look Model A mechanical stuff...

I believe the tranny is Model A stuff as well...

6. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

And the rear!
    Trans and spindles are Model A
    Red rag frame is '39 at first guess, but could be from the '37 with a '39 pedal set and backing plates...?

7. on the second frame those radiator mounts were used on 37-38 and 39 standard i believe

8. cvstl

cvstl
    from StL MO
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

Second frame looks like 37-39. It has a 37-41 axle. The second frame definitley looks worth the extra 200 bucks. Especially if it comes with all the part in the pics.

9. 1928Fordman

1928Fordman

The last frame with the axles I would guess to be a 39. The reason I say this is the pedal assembly looks to be a 39 which is one year only. $300 seems reasonable to me.

10. just so you know...and you may already know.....that second frame will work fine with your `36. a few holes may be different , but no big deal on a hot rod. the car in my avatar is on a `40 frame from a tudor sedan

11. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

First frame is the big Ford up to 1947 as 48 had tube shocks instead of Hoot-eye lever shocks.
    Trans looks like Model A...does it have the wishbone cup on the bottom???

Spindles have Model A style axle pieces still attached and the early style tierod ends so I'd say Model A too.

Last frame seems to have a 39 pedal setup...but also has a wide five drum AND hydraulic brakes. One year only for that brake combo and thats 1939.

Last frame is the best deal and worth $300.00 I'd say.

You get spindles...axle...straight wishbone...rear radius rods to straighten and then maybe convert to Rolling Bones style rear ladder bars for an open conversion...the 39 pedal assembly with its nice clutch setup...even springs you might be able to use...not to mention the frame itself.

I'd say go for that one. :D:D

12. koolkemp

koolkemp

Thanks for the input guys! I am pretty stoked about finally finding one in this good condition around here, its probably too nice for the crappy body I have to work with :p I was hoping it was a 39 for the pedal set up...if I dont use it it should be easy to sell ....so is there any advantage to the 37-41 axle vs the 36 and older? I would like to try and set up a fairly traditional straight axle chassis, but really dont have much experience with them, and me being me its gonna have to be a lo-buck approach lol!

Just for shits and giggles heres the starting point for what I hope to build into a chopped 3 window 40's style taildragger :eek:

[​IMG]

Isnt it mint lol! Its sitting on a sad 46-48 frame, some of what I have collected includes : one really nice original style fender skirt , some I think mid 30's mopar front fenders , maybe those rear fenders posted above, the bottom part(still looking for a top piece) of a Lasalle grille, a rough hood top from this car, some really nice orig paint hood side panels 50 meteor wheel and column ,might use the dash too, got a few other odds and ends and have a few leads on some other stuff too. Hopefully after another year or so of gathering junk I can start to pick away at it. I might start a thread but dont expext any progress pics for a while lol!

13. Frank Compoccio

Frank Compoccio

Can anyone please tell me if a 37 and 40 chassis are the same?

14. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

For all practical purposes, Ford frames from 1935 thru 1940 passenger and 1935 thru 1941 pickup are the same. They vary in details such as radiator mounts, and a mid point body mount (car vs truck), but those are either unimportant or easily dealt with.

Ray