Register now to get rid of these ads!

Can you help ID some speedometers?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by -DouG-, Mar 9, 2009.

1. -DouG-

-DouG-

Pic4 is still a mystery! Anyone recognize it?
    Thanks

Can you guys help me identify some speedometers? They are all swap meet finds. Thanks!

pic 1 EDIT: THESE ARE 51-52 BUICK.
    I think these are from a '53 Buick... am I right? They have 4.5 inch diameter. The speedo has "AC Made in USA" stamped on the back.
    [​IMG]

pic2 EDIT: THIS IS FROM A 53 BUICK.
    This speedo looks similar in design and has the same needle as the one above. the trip odometer cables on both are the same. This one is 5 inches in diameter and goes up to 120mph.
    [​IMG]

pic3 EDIT: THIS IS 55-56 DODGE.
    The face of this one is a pale green. The trip ring is over an inch deep. 5 inch diameter.No trip odometer. I love the numbers!
    [​IMG]

pic4
    This one has a hatch pattern (or basket weave) in the background. 4.5 inch diameter. I thought it was 56 ford at first but i'm wrong...
    [​IMG]

pic5 EDIT: THIS IS FROM A 34 CHEVY.
    This AC speedo has 4 inch diameter. I'm stumped.
    [​IMG]

pic6
    Here's one for the VW guys! made by VDO. Lots of idiot lights.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 11, 2009
  2. Squablow

Squablow

You'll have to doublecheck but I think Pic 3 is a speedo from a 55-56 Dodge car, looks like the one in my '55.

3. On the first ones, you may be right. The style of the numbers and needle are similar to an Olds cluster I have from about the same year.

The 5th pic might be a British car, the only time I've seen AC actually on the face of the gauge was in European stuff.

The last one looks like a VW Bug speedo to me, but it's possible the bus or other models used the same one. The idiot light marked "ATF" is pretty wierd though.

4. Squablow

Squablow

I'm thinking the first pic is '52 Buick, they had the speedo and clock the same diameter, and the second is '53, since '53 used a 120 speedo, at least they did in the Skylark.

Those German VDO gauges always crack me up, I like how the full mark on the gas gauge is the fraction of 1/1.

5. -DouG-

-DouG-

Thanks guys!

Hmmm That's strange... it has PATENTED MADE IN USA AC SPARK PLUGS FLINT MICH on the back.

6. -DouG-

-DouG-

Looks like you're right! 51/52 Buick!
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1951...rQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_500wt_1703

But what does the "R" stand for? ...and ya gotta love the little red I, II and III marks... i'm guessing shift points???

7. -DouG-

-DouG-

I figured out through another thread here on the HAMB that the AC speedometer is from a 34 Chevy.

8. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

R = reserve

Yep, shift points. Who really needs a tach?

9. -DouG-

-DouG-

I still can't figure out what Pic4 is! Anybody have a clue?

10. looks like what was in my vw stick shift automatic,,,had warning lite for the atf and also lite up shift points cause ya had to shift it...just no clutch

11. -DouG-

-DouG-

Still can't figure this one out! anyone?
    Thanks

[​IMG]

12. -DouG-

-DouG-

Bump once again. still haven't figured out what it's from saw another one at a swap meet -that guy couldn't figure it out either!