Register now to get rid of these ads!

Can you guys suggest Hot Rod history sources?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Zumo, Jul 29, 2008.

1. Zumo

Zumo

Books, movies and or places to go like museums? Or anything else for that matter. Would my local library have related books?

2. Vance

Vance
    from N/A

3. ryangobie

ryangobie
    from Jersey

At 24 years old i picked up old Hot Rod magazines in lots off the "E" site. Still going through them and learning a ton. I'm sure there are plenty of places online too but reading a computer screen for too long hurts my eyes.

4. RichFox

RichFox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You can go over to the Hop Up Magazine site. I believe they sell a set of thier first years books. 49 or 50. Lots of history before it was history.

5. alchemy

alchemy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Come north about three states and go to the Speedway Motors Museum.

6. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

get the Don Montgomery hot rod books. all sorts of good stuff.

motorbooks international has a lot of hot rod history titles.

I haven't been to the library in years but last time I was there there was several old books for HOT ROD people..

there are several Barris books out, as well as Ed Roth, So Cal speed shop, Bonneville, Gene Winfield and others.

7. DBAG

DBAG

This is the first I've stumbled on this site, thanks Vance!
    -DBAG

8. 38plymouth

38plymouth

9. R.C.

R.C.

I think the hamb is the best place for history.

10. Lee Martin

Lee Martin

The first 12 issues:

[​IMG]

Well worth the $29.95 cover price.

-Lee
    Atomic Radio
    www.atomicpinup.com

11. bava17

bava17

Book entitled "High Performance" by Post.
    very, very good. more about drag racing but definitely one of the best books out there.

12. Zumo

Zumo

Thanks guys keep'm comin.

13. KIRK!

KIRK!

Seek out every old magazine you can find. Just be sure not to look at the ads, because they don't actually even exist.

14. Crankhole

Crankhole

'The Birth of Hot Rodding'

15. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I second that. Plus there is a book that I read by AHRF or Petersen Publishing that was real good. I will post the title later when I get home.

Also did you read TraderJack's post from a couple weeks ago? That is the type of stuff that is priceless. I normally go back and read through Ryan's JJ post because he aways has great insight to the history of Hot Rods.

16. Zumo

Zumo

I obviously know some of the basics but I want to get more into it. I hear all these names and see all these cars that are significant in the history that I know nothing about. Thanks guys.

17. CoalTownKid

CoalTownKid

which sadly and ironically has little to nothing to do with the actual birth of hot rodding...misleading title, but a great book on immediate post WWII hot rodding, wonderful photography. I have a copy.

18. old dirt tracker

old dirt tracker
    from phoenix

seconds on the don montgomery books. being 68 years old i see a lot of revisionist hisory in the current mags. even here on the hamb. one for instance. not one friend of mine my age has a tattoo.

19. Blue50F-1

Blue50F-1

Old people...they're every where...especially restaraunts before 5pm.

But seriously my Dad's dad, and my uncle, and an old timer at a nearby rod shop are where I got the best knowledge on hot rods that I've ever found. Books and Mags are great, but like Old Dirt Tracker said, the newer the book, the less it really knows, and the old stuff is hard to find. If you can find an old guy who was into it in the 40's and 50's you'll get more info than a million books.

Try checking out the local car clubs; our local car clubs have a ton of old timers, very few young guys like myself (20's).

20. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

Check out my Mad Fabricators DVD's most of them cover Survivors cars.. and allot of History...

21. There are Internet sites that will take you to libraries and if you live in a big enough town more than likely your library will be listed.

Most of them will tell you if the book you seek is in the library.

Do a Google search or log onto a writers board and ask how to get to one of these sites.

I've found hot rod books in many of the US University libraries as well as University libraries in other countries.