Register now to get rid of these ads!

Can you drive daily on Historic or street rod tags in Maryland?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Busted Knuckles, Mar 9, 2011.

  1. Whats the deal ,I cant get a straight answer anywhere!
  2. MP&C
    Joined: Jan 11, 2008
    Posts: 1,922


    There is no straight answer. Per the law, no, unless taking it for maintenance, car show, etc. If the po-po sees you driving and acting a fool, he'll be more inclined to bring that law up. I have driven on them on a daily basis and see others doing the same, all the time.
  3. Do you have to have another vehicle to get the historic plates?
  4. MP&C
    Joined: Jan 11, 2008
    Posts: 1,922


    Not that I'm aware, have not run into that problem before. Had (previously) a 64 Galaxie and 56 Panel truck, both with historics, and no other car.
    Register now to get rid of these ads!

  5. Mr48chev
    Joined: Dec 28, 2007
    Posts: 21,467


    In most states along with the regular restrictions you can't use the vehicle for business nor can you haul anything in it if it is a truck. Coolers, luggage and lawn chairs ok but hauling a load of 2x4's home from Home depot for a remodel job on the shop isn't.

    Not MD related but here in this state they are trying to put an annual fee on the plates and one of the reasons besides finding more revenue is the number you see on what are pretty much daily drivers.
  6. f100newb
    Joined: Jan 23, 2008
    Posts: 42


    Historic tags are allowed to be driven daily. Street Rod no. Historic is just saying the vehicle is 20yrs or older. That exempts you from inspection and emissions.
  7. rustydusty
    Joined: Apr 19, 2010
    Posts: 582


    I have had both and the restrictions are the same. To and from shows/meets/parades and repair shops, up to 2500 miles a year, and you are required to have a registered daily driver. That said, I have driven all over with both types of tags all over the place and never been hassled! (Knock on wood!) One car I put over 16,000 miles in a year! They aren't inspected, and renewal forms don't ask for current mileage.
  8. f100newb
    Joined: Jan 23, 2008
    Posts: 42


    • To qualify as a historic vehicle, your vehicle must not have been substantially altered, remodeled, or remanufactured from its original construction, and must be 20 model years or older.
    • A historic vehicle 60 years or older may obtain a one-time, permanent, non-transferable registration. This vehicle registration does not qualify for specialty plates.
    • Vehicles classified as historic certifies the vehicle will be maintained for use in exhibitions, club activities, parades, tours, occasional transportation and similar uses. The vehicle owner further certifies the vehicle will not be used for general daily transportation or primarily for the transportation of passengers or property on highways. You will need to fill out the Application for Historic or Street Rod Registration (form # VR-096).
    Street Rod:
    • To qualify as a street rod, your vehicle must be 25 years old or older and must have been substantially altered from the manufacturer's original design.
    • Vehicles classified as street rod certifies the vehicle will be maintained for use in exhibitions, club activities, parades, tours, occasional transportation and similar uses. The vehicle owner further certifies the vehicle will not be used for general daily transportation or primarily for the transportation of passengers or property on highways. You will need to fill out the Application for Historic or Street Rod Registration (form # VR-096).

    I was wrong...Rusty is correct
  9. I've never seen anything regarding a limit of 2500 miles per year nor have I ever seen anything indicating you have to have another vehicle registered as a daily driver. Are these new regulations that have been added in recent years? I'm confused, Rusty. Please clarify. Thanks......Don.
  10. fattysgarage
    Joined: Mar 23, 2010
    Posts: 56


    I've got an 80's Dodge Truck with historic tags I drive to and from the hardware store, to do yard work, and haul a trailer. I know I am not legally supposed to, but I've never been stopped.
  11. harpo1313
    Joined: Jan 4, 2008
    Posts: 1,321

    from wareham,ma

    i used to keep a stack of my club event flyers in the glove box just in case,after all posting them here and there is a club function right.
  12. I've run an old '32 Okie tag on the roadster for about a year now. Keep a current modern tag under the seat. Supposed to register the old tag number with the tax commission - and submit some horrific fee but I haven't. Not stopped since I got the car on the road. Sometimes the give ya a good stare but I'm thinking some of the younger cops really don't know what the thing is?
  13. bodymanmp
    Joined: Dec 2, 2004
    Posts: 1,340


    also it depends on your insurance co.
    some have restrictions
    be carefull about driving on historic or street rod tags
  14. FiddyFour
    Joined: Dec 31, 2004
    Posts: 8,977


    simplest solution is... survey says?!

    use normal tags.
  15. And you never will.....

    my .02: I moved back to MD a couple of years ago and did some investigation prior to transferring the titles and tags on the historic stuff I had at the time. There's alot of people that say alot of things, but as far as in writing stuff, what f100NWB posted is about the most detailed, quantifiable state info I could find: and it's printed on the registration application. I found no state written rules, regs, or laws about mileage limits, and I'd really like to see someone show them to me if they say they exist (in MD). My guess is that it's written loosely for a reason, maybe several; and it could work both in and out of your favor. That said, I've never had an issue in a car or on a bike commuting to work or running errands on a week night, but I try not to do stupid shit on the street either.

    Unless something changed very recently, there is no requirement that you have anything else registered, but I highly doubt it.

    And I'll add that my insurance company had more concerns about the Historic registration, and a written annual mileage limitation. And I'm sure that if something happened commuting to work on Tuesday morning, and they could prove it, they might try to find a way out of covering it. So, you might want to keep that in mind when inquiring about insurance.
  16. darkk
    Joined: Sep 2, 2010
    Posts: 447


    In Ct. no restrictions on mileage or when or where either.:D
  17. Sir Woosh
    Joined: Dec 1, 2008
    Posts: 2,273

    Sir Woosh

    I know many others run no tags on the front as they feel it spoils the look of a rod. Maryland requires a front and rear tag on all cars. Guess I'm chicken to test it as I drive a car that kind of stands out. I am more prone to drive within the limits.

    But I too have always understood the driving to be OK on Sundays, holidays, club functions, maintenance, shows, parades and occasional pleasure.

    So far the local police haven't given me any grief at all. I got so brazen as to ask one patrolman if I could get a picture of him pulled up behind me as if I'd been pulled over. He said it was illegal? Oh well.

    Attached Files:

  18. Can any of you Maryland folks add to or clarify any of this info? The regulations seem really muddy. To answer simply the op question, NO, it's not legal to use the vehicle registered historic or street rod as daily driver. That said, I see guys all the time in older F-100's loaded with roofing and painting tools, etc. using them as work trucks and dodging the higher costs of regular registration. I hate to see this as it could eventually affect those who follow the rules. Just my thoughts, feel free to disagree.
  19. tommy
    Joined: Mar 3, 2001
    Posts: 14,763

    Member Emeritus

    Yes. You can not use historic plates for your only means of daily transportation. They check to see if you have another vehicle to drive before they will issue you historic plates. The law was passed as a benefit and not as a way to avoid the expensive tag fees. When the law was first passed it cost us 1 dollar a year and no inspection when you register it. At one time the cops were more aggressive about the enforcement but I've never heard of anyone being checked for no reason.

    I've driven to work many times on historic tags. Never been stopped. If I did, it would have been to get the brakes checked:rolleyes: Right?? If a cop sees you at the same stop light every morning at 6:30 for 2 weeks, he probably will pull you over.

    If you want to use your hotrod as your daily transportation, get it inspected and buy regular tags. The inspection will only check for items that were part of the law when the car was new. No seat belt for cars from the 50s. No rear bumper on trucks. And no emission controls on older vehicles. etc. etc. They can not force you to retrofit things not available when it was first made.

    I was a Md. state inspector for 20 years.

    There are lots of us breaking the law driving with no fenders, bumpers, front tag etc. etc. etc. You see any tag or fenders on my avitar?

    Having historic plates doesn't mean that it is suddenly legal. What happens is that the cop will usually give you an inspection ticket. You take it in to an inspection station and the inspector writes N/A (not applicable if you have historic plates) on it and checks it off. The inspector cannot charge for it if he doesn't have to remove tires etc.

    Remember you are at the mercy of each individual cop and or inspector. Don't argue with a cop and find a friendlier inspector if a problem comes up. There will probably be a hotrodder inspector somewhere in your area. Ask around.
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2011
  20. tommy I was waiting for you to chime in! Much thanks to all who have replied.
  21. Thanks Tommy. I was completely unaware that they actually check to see if you have a daily driver car registered before they will issue you a historic or street rod plate. Guess I always had something in the system already when they did their checks. How about the 2500 mile annual limit? I've never heard of that before either....Don.
  22. rustydusty
    Joined: Apr 19, 2010
    Posts: 582


    The 2500 mile limit may very well have been my insurance co. (Hagerty)

    Is it true you can get a vehicle inspected to YOM specifications?

    Of course with daily-driver tags, insurance would be a lot more expensive!
  23. nefareous
    Joined: Nov 21, 2008
    Posts: 362

    from maryland

    I live in Anne Arundel county..our cops are very diligent. I have used both historic & street rod for DECADES...never had an issue, ever. The only time that I did was when I was dumb enough to try running zoomies on a bigblock...I thought it sounded great, the cop that stopped me thought otherwise.
  24. Not to belabor the point, but I would like to see proof of this. MD Code 13-936, 19-936.1 for Historic and 13-937 and 13-937.1 for Street Rod are pertinent chapters, and no where else in MD code/law/reg does it require an individual to first have a registered non-historic vehicle, or the State to check, of which I'm aware. Nor in my personal experience have I had a problem when I only had a Historic vehicle (albeit some years ago).

    So, that leaves a purposefully vague code to be interpretted by you, a nosy neighbor, an officer, lawyer or judge: what are the quantifiable definitions of "general daily", "primarily", "occasional", "similar use", etc. So the decision is up to you based on the above and any other considerations, such as insurance.
  25. tommy
    Joined: Mar 3, 2001
    Posts: 14,763

    Member Emeritus

    When you finally get up to the window with your number and the lady punches in your info, all of your other cars pop up. Without a currently registered "normal" car they won't issue you historic plates and you will be required to get your collector car inspected and run normal plates. That is were they catch you. Most people have other cars so it's never an issue.

    I had to get a FR19 once. When the lady pulled me up she said MY you have owned a lot of cars!:D (mostly early Fords) She showed me the screen. She let me copy down my 34 P/U vin# even though it was sold years ago. My trooper that checked my inspection records was able to get me an address by running the VIN so I could try to find it. I was disappointed when I found it.

    That mileage restriction is an insurance issue. Md. has no way of knowing how many miles you drive each year. Your collector car insurance co. asks every year at renewal time but not all collector car insurers have a mileage restriction. Mine doesn't.
  26. 76chaos
    Joined: Mar 10, 2011
    Posts: 1

    from maryland

    I recently purchased a 1976 corvette (last week) and put historic plates on it (last Friday.) I asked a sheriffs deputy in Garrett County, Maryland prior to putting plates on it if I could drive it daily. His response was, as long as you are not doing anything stupid, you will not get pulled over. As far as the law? thats not what it states; yet it is so vague on what "occasional use" means; even if pulled over, there is little they could do about it unless you are pulled over numerous times for it. As far as you having to have a daily driver; I was never asked such a question; mind you, they have the information in front of them when they are processing your tags; but it still wasn't asked. There is no set mileage limit you can drive annually, hell my insurance won't go below 4000 as the minimum annual mileage. Thats it; drive it, you get stopped and its brought up, act stupid and tell them that the law allows for occasional use and you interpreted it as such.
  27. Sweepspear
    Joined: May 17, 2010
    Posts: 292


    My Father got pulled over once driving his '40 Lincoln, which had MN Classic Car plates on it.
    The cop at first asked him were the show was, etc. Then admitted he was just curious about the car.
    Dad was none to happy about a cop wasting his time. :mad:

    My Riviera has Collector plates on it, and I have never been hassled when clearly I am driving it to work or some other non permitted purpose.
  28. I have 2 cars, a 59 Fury and a 70 Swinger, with MD historic tags and my 47 Ford truck is tagged as a MD street rod. All 3 have been driven to work at one time or another and the Swinger a lot. The 47 and 59 have "vintage or year of manufacture tags." During the WWII years metal was in short supply and only rear tags were issued and that's all I run on the truck. Last fall I took the front vintage tag off the Fury and replaced with the plaque you see on my avatar, so far no problems. I have front and rear historic tags on the Swinger. I believe the law is purposely vague on this to leave it to police discretion. If you driving safely it has to be a slow day for them to cite you.
  29. To be registered as a historic vehicle (class L), your vehicle must be 20 calendar years old or older and must not have been substantially altered, remodeled or remanufactured.
    A historic registered vehicle cannot be used for general daily transportation, or primarily for the transportation of passengers or property on highways. It can only be used in exhibitions, club activities, parades, tours, occasional transportation and similar uses. A motor home, tow truck, or trailer does not qualify for historic registration.
    If your historic vehicle is 60 years old or older, you may obtain a permanent, non-transferable registration for a one-time fee.
  30. Walters97racing
    Joined: Jul 26, 2012
    Posts: 4

    from Ohio

    I know this is an old topic, But i have a situation within it I'm curious about. My car will be tagged maryland (historic) and im taking it with me to ohio for college. I typically wont be driving it every day, but it will be my only vehicle in ohio lol. would an ohio cop even be able to do anything about me driving on a historic MARYLAND tag?

Share This Page

Register now to get rid of these ads!


Copyright © 1995-2013 The Jalopy Journal: Steal our stuff, we'll kick your teeth in. Terms of Service. Privacy Policy.

Atomic Industry
Forum software by XenForo™ ©2010-2014 XenForo Ltd.