Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Can we think of and Dry Lakes or Bonneville cars that ran a Columbia Two Speed Rear?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by JeffreyJames, Jun 25, 2012.

1. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I'm looking for instances where Columbia Two Speed rear ends were perhaps used in vintage Bonneville or Dry Lakes cars? I've been collecting parts here and there for my '33 and a couple months ago I scooped up a '46-48 Columbia and it got me thinking that I actually don't think I've ever seen one in old pics of cars being ran out on the lakes.

Have you? Any significant cars run them? If so would they have been more popular prior to 46-48 when Halibrand started making Quickchanges?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,JJ

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. 1turbobrick

1turbobrick

The Kurtis Tommy Lee Special has a Columbia 2-speed rear end in it...

3. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Ok yeah that one came up in my search too. Thanks!!

So not too many? Anybody else run one?

4. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Ok so 133 people have looked at this thread and not had any more examples. I think it's safe to say that they weren't popular and maybe even a very rare sight.

5. -Brent-

-Brent-

I want to say I've seen them in a photo or two but I'm terrible with owner names of the vintage stuff. I'd bet that they weren't as rare as you'd think with the lower-buck guys but (of course) not a highly visible aspect of the car.

6. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

The really fast guys converted the rearends to ball bearings instead of roller bearings...
    I have no real proof... but... I would think the Columbia is a lot of added friction in moving parts that they would have written off and gone for the less rolling resistance...

Seems though that some guys must've run them...

Though more popular with the custom crowd for street use....

7. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

So I guess my next questions would be how do I get this thing under my '35 OR anybody wanna trade for an original Halibrand centersection? :D

That makes sense Zach and you're always good for a lesson in the yesteryear.

Brent, if you come across those photos ever send them my way.

Thank guys!

8. A couple of thoughts on this.

Firstly they have reputation for being prone to breakage. Secondly they're an overdrive for the street. You have your normal gearing for town driving and then the overdrive for highway, best of both worlds. A dry lakes/bonneville car is there to do one thing, so you don't need the complication, expense and weight of an changable overdrive.

9. True, I have seen what a broken one looks like.

10. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Yeah that makes total sense. I definitely see more parts being more headaches specifically for someone that's trying to go all out.

Maybe I'll hold onto it an see if I can squeeze it in my '35 one day and just run a simple banjo in my '33 with 3.54's. I'm not sure but I kinda want my '33 to be spot on in terms....but I guess I should probably start with a roadster huh haha!!

11. sawzall

sawzall

dont see any disadvantage to added weight on an LSR car.. really.. something has to keep you on the ground..

I imagine a 46- 48 columbia is a mile wide for a 35????

12. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

The columbia measures 53.25" backing plate to backing plate and my '39 rear that's under the '35 measure 51.5" so I might be close but not too far off. .75" on each side might work or it might rub a bit on the fenders on big dips.

13. StrickV8

StrickV8

Search Fordbarn. There's a guy in Knoxville, TN named Johnny Stooksbury that will take your stock axle housing and mate it to the Columbia housing to achieve the stock length.

My original plan was to put a Columbia under my Model A Roadster, but decided to sell it instead and use a 3:54 gearset I ran across in my late 32 rearend.

14. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

hmm ;)

15. Normbc9

Normbc9

Here are two out of many. Several are using Gear Vendors hydraulic OD.s too.
    Normbc9

Attached Files:

16. JJ,

What is going on with that Columbia? Any progress with the research?

17. V8RPU

V8RPU
    from Nor Cal

Columbias are cool and should be under every flathead powered car. If you treat them with some degree of respect they will serve you well.

Attached Files:

• axle.jpg
      axle.jpg
      File size:
      504.5 KB
      Views:
  18. mr.32

mr.32

You have to shift them with "love" . That clunk sound will scare you every time. Sounds like a old Harley shifting! I always double clutch mine.

19. moonlight graham

moonlight graham
    from wyo

V8RPU, Do you have any more info on the black Roadster?

Geoffrey

20. V8RPU

V8RPU
    from Nor Cal

Geoffrey,

I can tell you a lot about the black roadster as I have owned it for over 25 years, and have spent most of the last year putting it together. Its about 98% done and I hope to hit the road with it next weekend on the Northern Calif. Roadster Reliability Run.

21. moonlight graham

moonlight graham
    from wyo

Outstanding car, do you have any more photos? I would be interested to know how the Columbia was modified to fit the roadster and how it functions.

Geoffrey

22. I have one in my 36 ford.it is great on the highway .I can cruise 65 at a low purrrr.I am going to hook up a mechanical linkage to operate it.I locked it in od for now.Its fine around town.keep it they are going up in value.

23. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I'm probably going to keep it around since I have it and it's in good shape. I don't think it'll detract from the car at all even if it's built more in the sense of what a Dry Lakes Coupe might have been. If I decide to go with a track nose and a more serious look I'll see if I can't trade it for a quick change.

24. V8RPU

V8RPU
    from Nor Cal

JJ,
    Hope you don’t mind me replying to Geoffrey on your post. I used a 37-40 Columbia in my car. As the spring hangers etc. are in the same position as on a stock rear, installation in a 32 is the same. The driveshaft hook-up is the “normal” way. A 35-36 torque tube was used as it does not have the center bearing like a 39. The end of the torque tube with the speedo gear opening was rotated 180 degrees to match position of 32. The driveshaft is a 33-34 that was shortened and a 40 style 6-spline coupler welded to it. Radius rods are the nice, short 99A 39-40 Merc. (and 42-46 Ford I think) ones that do not need to be whacked to fit. The radius rod bung on the 36 torque tube was cut off and re-welded in place to fit the radius rods. A 37-40 spring was used. Leaves removed to a total of 7. Spring eyes reversed. The spring was notched to fit in the stock 32 crossmember by grinding each leaf to fit. Everything cleared OK with stock crossmember and rails. If you try and go lower by flattening crossmember etc. I think you will have problems. I used a 37-40 style Columbia vacuum control valve mounted to the rear of the k-member. A rod was attached to a longer clevis pin in the original clutch pedal and run to the valve to actuate it when the clutch is depressed. The arm on the pivot thing was flopped so the action to open the valve occurred when pushed rather than pulled. On this valve the routing of the vacuum to the shift canister on the rear end is determined by an arm controlled by a push-pull cable. As I used a stock steering column drop I used the hole for the Model B starter cable as the location for the end of the cable in the cockpit. Nothin to it.

RPU

25. RMpede

RMpede

Another choice: this is a housing for a two-speed Halibrand quick-change. Used in front-engined Champ cars way back when. Larger diameter axle flanges, 12-bolt instead of 10,

Attached Files:

26. Steverod

Steverod

Good thread.
    I have a 37 columbia that is converted to a 36 on my 36 cabriolet.The rear crossmember is completly flatted . All my line are copper with the original engaging shifter ( high -low), and they working like back in the days with under pressure( hope that is the correct word). The ratio is 3.54 on mine and the engine is a blown flatty 221cui plus overbore,and a 39 ford tranny with zephyr gears.

I raced it one without the high gear an it was not bad for the havy lady on a 1/8 mile. 12,...second
    But what all the member toald on this tread is correct , they arent made for racing ,they dont like that at all.
    Also the time the axel need to switch is long .
    So i hope this will help a little out even when i dont know if they raced them or not.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

27. speedshifter

speedshifter

Anyone successfully mated a Columbia to a v8 style quick change center section ?

28. Mine seems to be holding up alright to racing!

Like this?

[​IMG]

hotrodfil likes this.