Register now to get rid of these ads!

Can U identify this wheel

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Carfanatic, Aug 13, 2010.

1. Carfanatic

Carfanatic

I found a pair of these wheels in the local junkyard( my toy box ). They look cool but I don't have a clue what they are. I was hoping someone could ID them. They have a 4.25" bolt pattern. It looks like a mag center with a steel hoop, and yes that IS a small tree that was growing through it.

Attached Files:

2. You sure you are measuring the bolt pattern right? Looks like an 1969 mopar 4" bp rim.

Look up 1969 Mopar recall wheel. See if it matches. If it does, super rare.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2010
  3. Carfanatic

Carfanatic

Ya pretty sure?

4. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

If I'm not mistaken, and I could be, I think that prewarcars4me is right in that they are Mopar. What I'll add though is I believe they are a pretty rare set of "rally" type wheels that would have been from '67 or '68. If I remember the story correctly, they were offered as an option early in one of those years and recalled soon there after. This is of course depending on either a 5x4.00 bolt pattern as they ran on the small Mopars, or a 5x4.5 bolt pattern as they ran on the bigger stuff. Now it has been a good 7 or 8 years since I have involved my self with Mopar resto type stuff, but if this is the type of wheels I'm thinking they are, you might sell them for enogh to build what ever your building. Don't want to get your hopes up to high, but back then any "rare" Chrysler piece was selling for stupid money. I would say that it's definitely worth your time to jump on some of the Chrysler muscle car resto sights and do some very diligent research.

5. Revhead

Revhead
    from Dallas, TX

Here's a good shot of the recall wheel

Attached Files:

6. They came out in 68 and were recalled in 69. A good set of 4 are fetching 10K. It is worth your time to ID them. If its a pair of recalls, snag them.

http://mopedia.org/Recall_Wheel

7. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

They're not the same, but it could be the difference of big car small car. Either way, damn good thing I said I could be wrong! Research is your friend.

8. That link I posted said the replacement wheel was similar. Regardless, I'm betting some mopar restorer wants them.

9. Carfanatic

Carfanatic

Thanks for the replies I will have them in my hands tomorrow before someone else grabs them.

10. Yep, if you get them cheap junkyard pricing,,, you will make some money. Might be a little or a lot, but you will resell them for more.

11. Deuces

Deuces

I love the tire on it also.. :)

12. Carfanatic

Carfanatic

I now have the wheels in my posession. I am also trying to find out were they came from so to see if there are 2 more. Thanks for the replies

13. ems customer service

ems customer service

i think it is front wheel drive wheel, the face is flat no depth,

14. Carfanatic

Carfanatic

There is a date stamped on the back of each. One is 6 21 68 and the other is 6 25 68 .

15. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Sounds like your getting closer! Do you have a bolt pattern check ring? Zero in on that and that will tell much of the tale, especially if it's 5x4.

16. Carfanatic

Carfanatic

I just remeasured the bolt circle I still can up with 4.25" .

17. This is interesting, keep us posted as to what you find.

18. chaddilac

chaddilac

Here is the precise way to measure if you're unsure? Cool find!!

[​IMG]

19. Ob1

Ob1

20. Carfanatic

Carfanatic

Well don't I feel like a dumb a$$ jeeez. Yup it is 4.5

21. flatoutflyin

flatoutflyin

I saw a set of wheels like that maybe 5 years ago at a Louisville, KY swap meet. I thought they were recall wheels, but the seller said they weren't. He said Motorwheel Co. made them [I think they also made the recall wheels], but they were a somewhat different version sold as aftermarket accessories.

22. there not an A body then they were still 5 on 4 till 1970.

23. F&J

F&J

Common sense? That date code stuff sure sounds more like an OEM wheel, rather than aftermarket??

24. The important question is......... could you save the tree? :D

25. GTS225

GTS225

The do look very much like the Mopar "recall" wheel. If it turns out that that is what you found, DO NOT use them. They were originally recalled for cracking and breaking betwen the center and rim hoop, if I'm not mistaken. You could use them as a display only rim, but don't drive on them.

Roger

26. Carfanatic

Carfanatic

No the tree had to go LOL. I hope it was worth it

27. 4406

from Oklahoma

Did you find two more?

28. Carfanatic

Carfanatic

Nope didn't find any more

29. Carfanatic

Carfanatic

I posted a pic of the wheels and date stamp on a Mopar site, and they said they were in fact the recall wheels. Still trying to find out what they are worth. I'm also still trying to find out were the junkyard got them. To see if there are any more in the yard or possibly left behind from were they originated.