Register now to get rid of these ads!

Can someone identify this switch?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by desoto, Apr 10, 2005.

1. As far as I know, this is supposed to be a rear view mirror selector switch from a Ford, at least that's what I was told by the guy who supplied it. He doesn't even remember it now.

It's currently being used as a turn signal switch in a car I'm re-wiring. The mounting tab as well as the plug anchor tabs are broken off. The anchor tabs aren't an issue but the mounting tab is.

I need to know what the application is so I can go to the dealer and get a replacement.

Can anyone identify the application? Lincoln? Ford F350? Taurus? what is it used on?

The only markings left are "INDAK" and "PAT. PEND."

2. squirrel

squirrel

it looks nothing at all like the rotary mirror switch in my 93 crown vic, but it does look similar to the switch in my wife's 99 Silverado, although the markings are different.

INDAK oem'd a lot of GM switches. maybe you're barking up the wrong tree?

isn't there a late model junkyard or used car lot or something you could wander through to find it?

3. Andy

Andy

I would JB Weld a piece of metal to it to make a new mounting tab. The stuff will bond to anything and never let go.

4. DrJ

DrJ

I don't know the answer, but I have a question(s)..

Does it have a middle "OFF" position and is it going to be a seperate bulb from the brake light or is there some more "stuff" to make it work with the brake light circuit?

5. yorgatron

yorgatron
    Member Emeritus

try not to take this the wrong way,but that is the UGLIEST piece-of-crap switch i've ever seen.

get hold of a signal-stat 900,it's actually MEANT to be a turn signal,it mounts on the column (where it belongs) and is TRADITIONAL.

this IS still the traditional hot rod BBS,isn't it? :confused:

6. DrJ

DrJ

Count Yorga,
    Desoto is doing a job for someone the way THEY want it.
    He knowsenough about this stuff to write this book about it :D
    http://www.themotorbookstore.com/electrical.html

7. Yorgi, Skip is one of the old school HAMB members that has helped countless guys out with wiring questions and has written a book on wiring your (traditional) hot rod...

Anywho, I'd say that is a switch for mirrors... and kind of looks like one out of my 2000 Chevy pickup...
    Sam.

8. yorgatron

yorgatron
    Member Emeritus

OK,but it's still UGLY! :eek: :D

9. texasgreazer

texasgreazer

Just a thought but could it possibly be off of a truck with duel fuel tanks. The "L" and "R" positions make more sense for that application than anything else. Rearview mirror would be "N" (night) and "D" (day) wouldn't it? Side Mirrors are L and R but theres also no adjuster to actually adjust the mirror which is often part of the same switch. I think Fords are usually front and rear fuel tanks but I know GM had Left and Right. Remember my old man bi***ing cause he had to fill his tanks from both sides.

Hope this helps you figure it out, TG

10. squirrel

squirrel

maybe you ought to rent a late model car some time, they have elecrically adjusted side mirrors, you flip the switch to either R or L then use the 4 button pad or joystick to move the mirror around. the one on my wife's 99 chevy has a center off position.

the switch would look fine if it's hidden...seems most "traditional" guys don't mind sneaking in some modern tech when it's convenient.

11. Andy

Andy

I had a POS Jag that had rocker switches that looked like that. The XJ6 and 12's had dual tanks(Go figure) so it could be from those. They used a lot of American parts.

12. It's a double pole ON-OFF-ON switch It has a center OFF position. That's why it works really neat to control the 4 relays for the turn signal system.

It's fitted into an obscure panel under the dash but you can easily make out the L and R so it's a snapo to use as a turn signal, even if it does look too new for a traditional rod.

the trouble is that it's broken (the mount) and it's been repaired a number of times.

I can jury-rig it up to work but, since the vehicle's apart, why not actually REPLACE it with a good one?

Speakin' of wirin', ya oughta see the harness I just built this afternoon for a 32 5-window. Came out wicked pissa. Took 2 1/2 hours to braid up the light harness and another hour to do the engine/ignition harness.

13. I just put one of these in a 5 window yesterday 'cept I didn't use the crap wire they sell with it. This one has cloth-covered wires right back to the contacts inside. ......and they match the colors in the rest of the car, too.

....and it's hung up under the dash out of the way, too.

Attached Files:

14. enjenjo

enjenjo
    from swanton oh

Can't tell you if that is Ford or not, but it looks just like the mirror switch on my 2000 Pontiac Bonneville.

15. Well, Skip........I think you can rule out late mopar stuff. I walked outside and checked our daily 2002 Chrysler 300M. It's got power mirrors but they have this whippy finger-operated switch.....we tried.

Attached Files:

16. texasgreazer

texasgreazer

the switch would look fine if it's hidden...seems most "traditional" guys don't mind sneaking in some modern tech when it's convenient.[/QUOTE]

I do understand the switches your talking about but a lot of them are the same unit. Never said it wasnt for a mirror, just offering another option!
    TG

17. Dirk35

Dirk35

Its deffinitly for a power Mirror with a seperate joy-stick switch to adjust.

I can tell you its NOT 91-95ish Firebird as they used the little switch inside the nintendo pad controller looking switch.

But, it DOES (style wise) resemble the WINDOW up-down switch in my 91 Firebird.

Id say it goes to a GM product of 80-90s vintage with power mirrors. Something with enough room on the driver door panel for that switch and the joy-stick also under a plastic bezel and possibly four window switches.